Squats
50 BW Squats trying to find a groove
135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 3
225 x 3
225 x 3

Leg Lifts - 3 x 8

Not trying to push volume or weight yet, I have not been having much achiness or pain day to day. I could definitely feel the irritation on the way down and in the hole but it was not unbearable. Going to continue from this weight and just slowly build back up using a nice and easy rep tempo. I still have no pain now and its been about 3 hours since lifting so thats good. I was also able to run up the parking garage stairs this morning with no pain as well.

Still no more achiness than normal in my left knee. I think this may be turning around. This weekend Im gonna bump to 245 for slow tempo again, maybe throw in some glute hams. This weekend will be deload for deadlift so I guess my plan will be to dominate some rows and chins as well.

With putting squat on the backburner a bit may this is a good opportunity to up my bench volume and start attacking it hard until im back to 100%. Planning to run Disbrow’s Death Bench program without the incline work. With limited time I will hit the accessories that I can in order of carryover to the bench. I may drop the ab wheel and do on dead/squat days. Heres a layout of the plan:

Day 1
Bench - 5 x 3 @ 80%, 3 x 3 @ 82%, 2 x 2 @ 84%
Floor Press - 5 x 5
Skulls - 5 x 12
Band Push/or DB Ext - 5 x 20
Ab wheel - 5 sets

Day 2
Bench - 5 x 5 @ 75%
Flat DB - 5 x 15
Close Grip - 3 x 8
Skulls - 5 x 12
Tri Ext/or Band Pushdown - 5 x 20
Ab wheel - 5 x 25

1 Like

Apologies if this has already been mentioned already. What I found really helped with any sort of knee tendonitis is taking a lacrosse ball and rolling the quad muscles directly above the knee close to the joint. I found that I was super tight there (it was quite painful as well). Two weeks of that should be able to indicate whether or not that helped. For me the issues generally resolve by then.

1 Like

Was that still applicable to the patellar tendon? My issue is with the upper left side of my patellar tendon. It really now seems like the time of day makes it worse or better with mornings being slightly more achy. I was thinking about taking some glucosamine as well but maybe i will give that a try a couple times a day to see if it helps. Maybe even the front of my calves as well.

Ah patellar tendonitis. When I was 16 I played badminton, soccer and basketball at the same time and eventually came down with patellar tendonopathy. Dealt with moderate amount of pain right up until I decided to be proactive at around age 20. Do yourself a favour and don’t let the tendinitis turn into tendonopathy, because it’s a long road back. Backing off the weights is definitely the smart thing to do. I found the lacrosse ball helped more with pain above the kneecap, not patellar tendonitis (although it sure as hell is worth a try). I would honestly say that if it still hurts after a week, take some time off completely.

Should have clarified earlier. Patellar tendonopathy is the advanced stage of patellar tendonitis. Theres no inflammation, just a persistent achy pain. I still think a great start in your position would be some all around general leg stretches as well as foam rolling + lacrosse ball

1 Like

Thanks man I will def take you up on that advice.

Had a nice kickoff to the weekend, got to shoot a 303 Bren machine gun and a bunch of other suppressed guns lol. Take my mind off my damn knee

3 Likes

Stop letting that thing manhandle you :wink:

1 Like

Yea yea lol, I was actually on my tip toes and couldn’t properly load the bipod. Short problems

No lifting this weekend, taking it easy and drinking some beer gonnna let that knee take a rest.

July 4 2018

Superset squats and Deadlift
135 x 2
185 x 2
225 x 2
250 x 2/275 x 1
260 x 2/315 x 1
260 x 2/360 x 5 x 5 total sets

Blazing hot today that was tough but fortunately my knee is feeling better. Hope the trend continues

2 Likes

Top set:

Looks like I’ve come down with some patellar tendonopathy aswell (other side this time). I’m glad you’re feeling better. Have you given foam rolling and the lacrosse ball a go?

1 Like

Dang man really? I hate to hear that, I’ve been foam rolling 3-4 times a week and using a lacrosse ball around the knee as well. I started to take some glucosamine and turmeric 3x a day too. Not sure if that’s helping but worth a try. I’d say it’s been like 3 weeks so I mean really I just cut out squatting there for a couple weeks and have started to gradually come back into it. I read doing some body weight squats with floss bands around the tendon can also get some blood flowing back in there to aid in recovery as well, maybe give that a shot. @idontbrag123

July 5 2018

Day 1 Week 1 Disbrow Bench Program

Bench
135 x 3
145 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3
200 x 3 x 5 sets
205 x 3 x 3 sets
210 x 2 x 2 sets

Floor press
5 x 5 @ 165

Average Band Pushdown
5 x 12

DB laterals
5 x 12 @ 20 lb

1 Like

Good luck with the knee mate, def take it easy with it, come back to squat another day, stronger and better.

1 Like

I’m slowly pushing back now, today I have not felt any discomfort after yesterday’s session. Only sore lower back and hamstrings. I want to say I’m on the path back and will be going slow. The plan is to stick to sub 70% on intensity and slowly build back my volume. I may take a new approach on form and start working low bar more and rely on quad hypertrophy using single leg movements.

3 Likes

Reps man, reps. Keep them high for awhile, like 10+, preferably 15+. My tendonitis has always been it’s worse when I stayed in the 5 and lower rep ranges too long. I also believe that some muscles and tendons/ligaments need higher reps and TUT to actually strengthen.

2 Likes