T Nation

Things You've Made

I re-covered the seats in the other half’s bike. Used a sexy oiled leather.

IMG_0910

8 Likes

Coming along nicely. Next steps are to cover with latex and then fiberglass. Then sand and fill the fiberglass, then paint, then mount on Rat Rod.

6 Likes

I’m resurrecting this thread to post my new deadlift jack. I’ve been talking for years about wanting to learn to weld. I finally took a class at a local trade college bought some tools, set up my shed and made my own jack. It works brilliantly.

Now I’m thinking of my next gym project. This was the first thing I wanted to make. My husband and I train together so there’s a ton of loading and unloading.

9 Likes

That’s beautiful!

Thanks. I’ve used a lot of different jacks in gyms and some, while they look nice, have bad levers and are difficult to use. The balance on this turned out really well.

While working on my sister in law’s car I had a circuit that would keep blowing the fuses before I could test them with a multi meter. Made these jumpers out of 14 gauge house wire so I could at least test the circuits.

*disclaimer: this is a dangerous practice for diagnostic use only and could result in fires or extreme damage… fuses exist for a reason.

2 Likes

As soon as I saw the picture, I was reminded of this:

3 Likes

Made this outdoor mud kitchen for my boy for Christmas. All made from scrap pallet wood so has cost pretty much nothing and has been freestyled the whole way! Very happy with how it’s turned out.

Think maybe I’m in the wrong job.

13 Likes

That is absolutely brilliant.

What are the burner rings made from? They look familiar.

Thanks, he absolutely loves it. A few of my wife’s friends and work colleagues have seen it and are asking if I will make a few more that they could purchase. When the weather gets a bit better and I find a steady source of pallets I will knock a few up and see if they sell.

At work we occasionally repair turbos from larger agricultural vehicles or boats. We had these made to hold the turbines in place whilst we loosen or tighten the turbine nut. We never use them as a rag and a strong grip is much quicker most of the time, so thought I could put them to good use!

1 Like

That’s really cool!

I made these over my Christmas break. I’ve always wanted farmers walk bars. This was another item on my list of things I’d make if I ever learned to weld. They weigh 10lbs each and I’m looking forward to the rain stopping so I can get them outdoors where I have more room to move.

7 Likes

Oh, look what I found from two years ago :astonished:

2 Likes

I built a desk. It’s not very fancy or anything, but for me it’s pretty good.

7 Likes

Is that table top laminated together or just connected board by board? I recently built a new desk with iron pipe base and oak for the top but I kinda like the looks of yours much better with the sides making it look thicker.

edit: also what’s thickness of the boards on top?

Also @stains, Jacobean is like the perfect rich dark brown on most woods. Grain of salt because I’ve used like 4 stains ever, but I’m hooked on it

1 Like

I connected everything board by board. The top is actually two pieces. They’re 3/4" thick. I used 2x4s as the base and then covered it with the panels(poplar iirc).

1 Like

I made this thing near the end of winter this past year

I made the legs out of iron pipe with the theory that it could be modular in the future, but the bronze color I was going for ended up looking like cheap gold against my carpet.

Then there’s that ugly AF part where the panels come together. It was -25 outside when it was time to do the staining, so I put it together first and stained it indoors (wife absolutely LOVED the smell/mess). Turns out it’s really hard to get a consistent push with the grain when you are using a big fuckin sponge and they’re already connected. Who knew.

4 Likes

DId you glue the panels together?

Yeah but TBH I’d do it over if I could. I ended up using a hand planer to square the edges with one another and them being not perfect cost me a lot of material getting it flat.

Because the boards weren’t perfectly square across all the pieces I had to glue 2 pieces -> clamp -> glue piece onto that -> clamp -> repeat. I’m sure there’s a better way to do it.

I have a theory in my head for an endgrain butcher block style top but before I’d attempt something like that I’d want to invest into a jointer/planer and some legit clamps.

Gotcha! Sometimes glue residue will block the stain from soaking in.
It’s still nice!

1 Like