T Nation

Things You’ve Always Wondered About

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, that would be a riot! Trippin’ with trout!

After 15 years together, she only just saw me high last June in the hospital when I was freakin kooked on morphine,laughing and flirting with nurses and just generally being something she had only heard stories about.

Often we have leftovers which go to the dog for his dinner.

I usually spread the leftovers, so he gets regular pet food and leftovers for a few days in a row

I always debate over whether he would prefer a big plate of leftovers for a single day or he likes the half/half and having it more frequently…

How can we determine pet preferences when all options are good?

Does he pick out the leftovers first or eat indiscrimately? I had a Lab/chow mix that made it chrystal clear how much he loved plain white rice, and I mean plain. He got ticked off if I made him rice and put anything on it. He didn’t even want gravy on it.

1 Like

Things I’ve always wondered…

Why doesnt Vodka freeze solid in the freezer?

Freezing point of alcohol (or a solution with a large percentage of alcohol) is much lower than the temperature of the freezer.
Vodka is considered ethyl-alcohol which according to google has a freezing point of -173.5°F

Edit: https://www.thespruceeats.com/will-liquor-freeze-760302

6 Likes

Nerds

2 Likes

And proud of it.

4 Likes

To go even a further level of nerd, Vodka is somewhere around half water, so it’s freezing point is a bit higher. Specifically the freezing point of 80 proof Vodka is -26.95 C or -16.51 F.

The lowest temperature of a residential freezer is -17 C.
But you can actually freeze vodka at home.

You can stick the vodka in the freezer over night to get it as cold as your freezer can get it, then stick it a bucket of ice with a bunch of salt poured on it. This will get you over the couple degrees high hump.

Now, why one would do this, I don’t know.

Nerd level: MIT, ZBT.

4 Likes

Why would the salted ice be able to drop past the freezer’s minimum temperature? Afaik, salt drops the melting point but it still depends on how cold your environment is.

[quote="alex_yu, post:473, topic:256645,
Why would the salted ice be able to drop past the freezer’s minimum temperature?.
[/quote]

To over simplify, when you change matter from one state or the other heat is either inserted or withdrawn.

Here you are artificially forcing ice to turn to water, which causes it to steal heat from the vodka.

Same idea with a pressure change. Go feel the tank of an air compressor when you blow out the air.

This is the entire process upon which refrigerators and AC work.

6 Likes

Lowering/raising of temp= loss/gain of sensible heat, change of state from gas to liquid or liquid to solid (and vice versa)= latent heat loss/gain.

To change one pound of water one degree fahrenheit takes one btu, to change one pound of water to one pound of ice takes (a loss of) 144 btu.

Oh yeah, phase changes require energy… lol

Things I’ve always wondered…

So, the wings on planes provide lift, but the delta wing has a different configuration, and I have a hard time believing that it provides the same lift.

It’s the differential between the top (curved) and bottom (flat) of the wing the provides lift.

The “shape” (delta vs. conventional) has different flight properties, but the general idea of a curved top and flat bottom remain the same.

1 Like

Nerd alert: aerospace engineer here.

@thefourthruffian got the basic concept right. The delta wing shape (as seen on the mig21 and the swept position of the F-14s in Top Gun) provides better lift generation at higher subsonic and supersonic speeds due it’s larger area over shorter span (Aspect Ratio). It also moves the shockwave impact to the wing in the transonic (close to Mach 1) and super sonic regions away from the leading edge of the wing. The shape also create less aerodynamic “flutter” (I.e. shock induced dynamic motion) due to its high rigidity.

In general, delta wings perform better aerodynamically at higher speeds than commercial airliners typically fly. In fact, to maximize lifting efficiency the F-14 wing starts out during takeoff and low speed as a traditional swept wing, then at about Mach 0.7 the wings automatically start sweeping back to the delta configuration.

Edit: interesting note - if you take a symmetric wing (curve is identical top and bottom) it will not produce lift unless aimed at a positive angle of attack.

3 Likes

What void my time keeps disappearing into

1 Like

Damn - good info.

I kinda understand the high speed impact of the delta wing as you have described it, but how does this explain the stealth bombers and the like that have a fixed delta wing configuration?

damn, you muscleheads are smart~

Stealth is a set of many different technologies integrated to minimize radar signature, not just shape. Google scholar (scholar.google.com) is your friend on many subjects.

Dude…no way am I googling anything like that.

I dont want the G-Men knocking at my door.

Skeered

1 Like

TAILS (Totally amnesic Icognito Live System) and DuckDuckGo.com

1 Like