Things You Should Know (Westside)

This is a great little article Louie wrote a couple of years ago. Its a great short read.

Its under 2006 (June) “Things You Should Know”

Thanks for the link. Really helpful. It looks like theres some great info on that site. I wish I knew about it sooner.

Big time Bump for this

[quote]PGA wrote:
This is a great little article Louie wrote a couple of years ago. Its a great short read.

Its under 2006 (June) “Things You Should Know”

www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm[/quote]

Good call. I’ve read every article on that site. That, along with DeFranco’s Q&A, and the articles at EliteFTS round out my reading.

Good read, thanks.

I’m doing a meet at Westside in a week from today. I’ve never been there, but I will be in total awe throughout the experience. Seeing Louie, Matt Smith, Chuck Vogelpohl, etc… Lifting against Tim Harrold, Matt Wenning, etc…

I am shitting myself thinking about it. Freaking excited as hell!

The thing that strikes me most is the end of the article. For all the shit they take, Louie has made Westside a huge success not only for their time in the gym and results, but also their willingness to help other lifters and non lifters.

Louie and Westside, my hat goes off to you!

First of all, thanks a lot for the great article I saved it on my computer because it has so much good info in a short comprehensible style!!!

Sorry PGA, I have to make a little HiJack…

When I was reading the following passage in the article I got an idea and I would like you guys to tell me if my thinking here is correct.

----“Did you know that when lifting barbells, there is a deceleration phase? For this reason, you must use Jump-Stretch bands or chains. They accommodate resistance. When joint angles become more favorable, such as at lockout, one can lift considerably more weight. With barbell weight, the bar can be too heavy at the start to generate sufficient acceleration to complete the lift, or the bar can be too light and as it nears completion, the barbell slows down, causing a deceleration…”----

I am a tall guy with long arms and proportionally long forearms, so bicep-curls were almost “useless” in terms of really stimulating the biceps…it would be really heavy in the beginning of the movement due to the leverage and from a certain point too easy! Of course I could use shorter ROM, but this never felt really effective too.

So after reading the article I got the idea to use chains for the curl. Wouldn’t it make the beginning of the movement easier so that the biceps could be stimulated with a heavier load in the end of the movement when the chains are lifted of the ground?

I think Dan John wrote somewhere that he used chains for curls with the barbell but I am not sure.

…Now I just have to figure out how to convince my gymowner to let me use chains…

Thanks for any input

Eisenbeisser

I have used chain curls a lot since “discovering” the movement from the biggest guy in my gym. They are a great way to pound the bi’s. I’ve seen Dan John and Dave Tate do them as well (or at least read about them doing them on the web).

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
I’m doing a meet at Westside in a week from today. I’ve never been there, but I will be in total awe throughout the experience. Seeing Louie, Matt Smith, Chuck Vogelpohl, etc… Lifting against Tim Harrold, Matt Wenning, etc…

I am shitting myself thinking about it. Freaking excited as hell!

The thing that strikes me most is the end of the article. For all the shit they take, Louie has made Westside a huge success not only for their time in the gym and results, but also their willingness to help other lifters and non lifters.

Louie and Westside, my hat goes off to you![/quote]

Dude I demand a full report!!!

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
For all the shit they take, Louie has made Westside a huge success not only for their time in the gym and results, but also their willingness to help other lifters and non lifters. [/quote]

Who gives Westside shit? Don’t people who know what they do there and how much they’ve contributed to the strength-training world look on in awe? What could they possibly be given a hard time about?

“did you know that clean and snatch aren’t tested at nfl combines?”
Hey Louie, the box squat isn’t tested in the combine either!

[quote]arnoud verschoor wrote:
“did you know that clean and snatch aren’t tested at nfl combines?”
Hey Louie, the box squat isn’t tested in the combine either![/quote]

That’s the shit. Ask and you shall receive.

Way to step up Arnoud.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I have used chain curls a lot since “discovering” the movement from the biggest guy in my gym. They are a great way to pound the bi’s. I’ve seen Dan John and Dave Tate do them as well (or at least read about them doing them on the web).[/quote]

How do you set it up, do you use a curl bench (I don’t know if that is the right name, but I hope you know what I mean)?

Is there any alternative to the chains that would give a similar or the same effect like it? I work out in very “normal” gym, where me and another guy are the only ones that deadlift and I think if I bring chains and use them they’ll probably call the police…

[quote]Eisenbeisser wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
I have used chain curls a lot since “discovering” the movement from the biggest guy in my gym. They are a great way to pound the bi’s. I’ve seen Dan John and Dave Tate do them as well (or at least read about them doing them on the web).

How do you set it up, do you use a curl bench (I don’t know if that is the right name, but I hope you know what I mean)?

Is there any alternative to the chains that would give a similar or the same effect like it? I work out in very “normal” gym, where me and another guy are the only ones that deadlift and I think if I bring chains and use them they’ll probably call the police…[/quote]

go to elitefts.com and check out the exercise section… in there you’ll find tons of examples in ways to perform chain curls.

[quote]Eisenbeisser wrote:

So after reading the article I got the idea to use chains for the curl. Wouldn’t it make the beginning of the movement easier so that the biceps could be stimulated with a heavier load in the end of the movement when the chains are lifted of the ground?

I think Dan John wrote somewhere that he used chains for curls with the barbell but I am not sure.

…Now I just have to figure out how to convince my gymowner to let me use chains…

Thanks for any input

Eisenbeisser[/quote]

This article by Jack Reape appeared a couple days before Dan “invented” chain curls:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1247464

and here’s the section:

"4. Christmas Carol Curls

Add some weight to an Olympic bar. (The EZ-curl bar will arouse suspicion!) Then hang some chains over it and conventionally curl away. These are very challenging in a unique way, plus it’s another chance to drag and shake the chains around the gym groaning, “Ebenezer Scrooge! I am your partner Jacob Marley and I lift the chains I forged in life!”

The fitness bunnies are appalled, but grabbing a handful of chain and hammer curling, pressing, and shaking them during your rendition of the classics is a biceps and upper back difference maker!"

Enjoy

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

This article by Jack Reape appeared a couple days before Dan “invented” chain curls:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1247464

and here’s the section:

"4. Christmas Carol Curls

Add some weight to an Olympic bar. (The EZ-curl bar will arouse suspicion!) Then hang some chains over it and conventionally curl away. These are very challenging in a unique way, plus it’s another chance to drag and shake the chains around the gym groaning, “Ebenezer Scrooge! I am your partner Jacob Marley and I lift the chains I forged in life!”

The fitness bunnies are appalled, but grabbing a handful of chain and hammer curling, pressing, and shaking them during your rendition of the classics is a biceps and upper back difference maker!"

Enjoy

[/quote]

…thanks for the article, but when I meant how to set it up, I was wondering how to set it up so that the chains are on the ground in the beginning of the movement and the extra weight will increase in a way that it will make the final part of the movement where it is more focused on the bicep and the forearm carries less of the load (I hope that makes sense)

Of Course I will find out myself after doing it, but if anyone has done them like that and experimented a bit with them I’d appreciate any helpful tips.

Eisenbeisser

Hope this helps with the setup. It looks like Dave uses 2 chains, one around the barbell and then the larger chain attached to smaller chain.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=44348&tid=102

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Hope this helps with the setup. It looks like Dave uses 2 chains, one around the barbell and then the larger chain attached to smaller chain.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=44348&tid=102

[/quote]

Cool, that is exactly what I was looking for!!

Thank you

Does anyone know where I can find video examples of Louie’s preferred power exercises? The kneeling squats, power cleans and power snatches sound interesting. I’m sure I have a good idea of how they should look, however, I’d really like to see a well-executed demonstration.

Thanks!
Keith