Things Worth Investing In?

I’m thinking about buying a deadlift bar and bringing it to my gym. Specifically the Texas deadlift bar. Also I’m in need of a coach since I wanna drop to 198 and I’m 220 right now. I was thinking about asking Pete rubish for coaching. Anything else that is worth to put money on. I’m 17 by the way.

Is a deadlift bar really necessary? So much questions.
How long have you been lifting for?
What are your current lifts/stats?
What are your goals?
What is your budget?

1 Like
  • Titan or Inzer belt, maybe one for DL/squat and one for bench
  • decent knee sleeves
  • couple of pairs of decent knee wraps
  • decent wrist wraps
  • lifting straps for if/when your hands are torn up
  • medium, light and very light band/s

Beyond that, that’s about it. A squat bar is nice if you can use one. DL bar IMO is unnecessary.

Don’t you train at Coliseum? Ya’ll must have deadlift bars there…

Who has Pete Rubbish coached before?

Yeah. Answer benanything’s questions. Plus, do you compete and if so what fed?

I don’t think special bars and bands and wraps and straps are necessary or even appropriate for a beginning/non-competing lifter. But maybe you’re not a beginner?

Not sure why it deleted above?

a year
have not tested in a long time
to be a world record holder
not alot lol

You don’t need anything. You need to put more work(read: time) in.

4 Likes

Assuming that you train at a gym that has the bare minimum basics (squat rack, bench, bar, and plates) to perform the three power lifts, I think the best thing you could do at this time (given the stated goal of being a world record holder) would be spending at least one more solid year training hard and eating well, and begin to assess your needs for additional equipment and/or coaching once you can perform the three lifts at a level where “being a world record holder” is something you can realistically assess.

Training hard and eating well, by the way, are subjective. Many beginners on these forums believe that they are doing both when in reality they are doing neither. So perhaps give us a little to go on there in terms of your training and diet before we assess the need for a special deadlift bar.

1 Like

Your own chalk almost always comes in handy. I’m yet to find a gym which hasn’t run out at some point.

2 Likes

@mikey1871 , you just said in another thread that you train at Coliseum. I know for a fact Coliseum has tons of specialty equipment and great coaches (including at least one world record holder)

A power rack, a good power bar (I have a Texas power bar - do not go cheap on a bar - you don’t need a DL bar, you’ll benefit more from a power bar), lots of plates, chalk and a belt to get you started.

Add in what you need/want as you continue your training. Wraps, bands, dumbbells, etc.

1 Like

Bro, I thought you were fucking with me when you asked this question about Rip.

Now, I just got lots a love for you.

3 Likes

Appreciate it dude. It’s a question with little malice. Pete is an incredible athlete; I just haven’t heard of any of the athletes he has coached. I am curious why one would choose him over others.

Same reason you have people picking Malanichev and Khudayarov I think - they’re famous. Not everyone has the nous to take a step back and ask themselves whether being a great athlete will transfer into coaching.

1 Like

That is definitely true. That being said, I would like to think that it also comes down to price and convenience. How else will one climb the ranks of unproven to proven coach?

@mikey1871
I ain’t no expert but I would suggest you looking into getting a in real life coach or join a powerlifting club if there’s any in your area. Personally I feel that online coaching is highly overrated and most of the time they work simply because…

1. most programs work if you work hard enough, if you’re willing to pay for it, odds are, you’re possibly more hardworking/into it than the chap next door.

2. when you’re paying someone to online coach you, you’re often going to shut up and listen to whatever he/she says, just to “get your money worth” and that is (according to my opinion) a way to force discipline upon yourself and prevent program hopping and etc

3. put enough time into something, especially something as simple as powerlifting, you’re going to improve. It’s a certainty, especially if you’re young and relatively untrained.

You would hope. I absolutely agree that you’ve got to start somewhere. I guess just myself, I’d be less likely to pick as a coach someone who is still regularly competing at a very high level unless it was face to face and a matter of training with them.

1 Like

Invest in a deadlift bar!

1 Like

I strongly agree on getting real life coaching and especially with finding a team.

If you’re serious about making records, you’ll make a way to do this.

Also, hard work and discipline will take you far, but genetics is crucial. It takes time to figure out if you’ve got it or not. Even if you have the genetics, it will take a lot of sacrifice. Missed social opportunities. Less time with family. Little time for other hobbies. Less time for academics. Greater risk of life altering injury.

Think of it this way. Do you think someone on the low side of average IQ… let’s say 90 for this example, will ever be a brain surgeon? Even if they work incredibly hard? No. But with tons of hard work, discipline, and struggle, that person might make it to bakery supervisor in a grocery store.

I know that doesn’t look all that cool on a motivational poster or something you hear often in this ultra PC world where everyone’s a special snowflake, but that’s just how it works.

I’m not trying to discourage you, but if you’re serious you need to know so you have at least a vague idea of what you need to do to get it done.

And right now, you don’t need any specialized equipment at this point in training. A good belt, knee sleeves, and some light wrist wraps oughta do it for a long time.

While I’m at it, you also don’t need an advanced training program. All advanced means is training has necessarily become more complicated in order to continue to make progress. If you’re a beginner and you run an advanced program, you’re actually impeding progress.

2 Likes

take the 300 you would spend on a deadlift bar and buy 100 pounds of beef and chicken.

2 Likes