Things We Do BEFORE Rx Testosterone

I had my cortisol levels check by my Endo. He didn’t think cortisol was an issue.

Baseline 13.6 Range 3.7 - 19.4
30 min 21.1
1 hr 26.5

Acth 38 Range 6-50
Dr said the baseline could be elevated to begin with just from the body responding to the procedure itself.

My original endo never did much testing, no LH or FSH was ever tested. I requested my medical records just out of curiosity and Total T on the first set of labs was TT 225 with a FT 7.2 (Labcorp), months later TT 120 with FT 7.7.

I believe the 30 year Klonopin usage and 10 month grueling withdraw is what broke me. I was perfectly fine before tapering off Klonopin, maybe all I needed was a few months of Clomid and a proper restart.

There was never an investigation of the events that lead to my condition, they saw a low T scored and gave me TRT, it would have been nice to know what domino started the chain of events, this would have been key to getting me back to normal.

I’ve heard of a guy who went on Lepraxo and his natural production went from a Total T of 950 to 300’s, doctor gave him pregnenolone and DHEA and saw his testosterone production restored to its former glory. He’s not shutdown, his HPTA is going strong.

I’ve never second guess my TRT until now and maybe I won’t be so quick to recommend TRT anymore, not before everything else is attempted first.

3 Likes

I would rather see a four time a say saliva or urine test. Blood levels for cortisol don’t really show much whatsoever

IMG_2198

@physioLojik you can see my cortisol numbers while I was in the middle of the severe symptoms.

I can’t see much without the days chart of production. It’s importnat to know how the hormones are being produced over a day period @anon10230041 The sweating and anxiety really have nothing to do with testosterone or estrogen typically. It has a lot more to do with serotonin and cortisol / nor production

I definitely think you’re right man. Any med such as that has clear long lasting effects on so many systems. It sounds like you’re on the right track though and that’s awesome! Well done coming off the med too. That’s brutal. @systemlord

I hear u. But my t measure below 300 2x. But not sure I should do a restart. Now that am on trt and no longer have those symptoms is there still a need to investigate cortisol or serotonin? Would trt hide those issues if I had them?
I mean it is possible that my testosterone being low caused higher cortisol?

@physioLojik, thank you so much for your helpful information! If someone is having those symptoms of increased cortisol (hot flashes, anxiety), would you suggest an adaptogen like Rodiola or Holy Basil for some relief?

Hi @physioLojik,

Any suggestion to help alleviate the sympathetic nervous system dominance? This might sound strange, but there are times when I’m with my wife in bed and I’ll feel an adrenaline rush/dump… And that doesn’t help to stay calm and relax. Wondering if there are things to help even my nervous system out a tad so I don’t have those things happen at that time… Or maybe im just crazy and my previous issues with ED have given me bedroom PTSD (which I half joke about, but think could be real).

Any feedback or advice is appreciated.

Absolutely. Although rodiola can be stimulating at times for certain people. Ashwaghanda and phosphatidylserine are my favorites to use as well as vitamin c :slight_smile:

If you feel good and have been doing well there is no need to change a thing

Use 400mg phosphatidylserine close to bed. 400 mg magnesium glycinate as well. These will both help your body relax :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the information @physioLojik, very much appreciated. I will check those recommendations out and pick some up. Could relief happen immediately or is this something that takes time to build up in the system?

@physioLojik Dude great info. Never even heard phosphatidylserine.
My wife has been using licorice tea in the am and vit c. I guess it’s ok for her to add mag and phosp at night? She does have trouble sleeping.

Actually her mag RBC came back at low normal recently. She started 1000 mg metformin about 2 months ago increased to 1500 mg 1 week before lab and glucose did not budge from pre metformin. Still in low 90s. And insulin also did not budge between 10-11. Any ideas on this?

Also if u take BCBS am willing to teladoc.

Physio, thanks for posting your pre test assessment info.

How do you go about treating a case of secondary hypogonadism (generally)? I’ve had an MRI with it showing nothing. I think my case is hereditary with no real cause. My LH and FSH prior to starting TRT were obviously really low.

I do have some HCG on the way I want to add into my protocol with trt.

I do notice this (with my zero libido): I have the attraction to women but just not the physical reaction (the arousal part) when with one. Like I don’t get that chain reaction that ends in my penis where I just need to have sex. (sorry, tmi). It’s like there is a disconnect with my head and penis. I get a little blood flow, but that’s it. I am hoping HCG will wake things up down there, as I read there are a lot of LH receptors there, as well as in my brain.

I noticed you mentioned it’s usually neurotransmission being “off” and not so much hormonal when it comes to libido, but aren’t neurotransmitters somewhat governed and directed by hormones?

you mention being overweight causing low t but what about underweight borderline normal?

My doctor wants to put me on the cream. I’m just worried about my DHT levels being on the cream. Can anyone tell me good ranges for DHT levels???

Also I my self had a randomly onset of symptoms that came out of no where. I mentioned to my doctor I would like to find out the root cause and hosnreply was that most of the time it’s unknown and then never discussed again. But I really think if I fix the root of the problem then I mite not have to be on meds for the rest of my life. What should I do??

Did you have labs done? Most dont do well on creams…well your doc does $$$

Thank you so much for your help @physiolojik. Would you mind answering one more question - I am currently on the path to lose my excess body fat. Do you encourage the use of DIM and Calcium D-Glucarate to reduce estrogen load, and if so, what ratio would you suggest for a roughly 300 lb., 6’5" male?

@KingKai25 hey bud! I like both of those supplements but it’s hard to tell you what to use without knowing your current hormone levels. As far as weight loss obviously slow and steady is the best approach.