T Nation

Things to Bring to College

Ok, everyone at some point before they go to college looks at one of those “things to bring” lists. Now I just got mine in the mail from RIT, and was looking over it. However, there were a few things that I noticed the list neglected that I had a feeling the school wouldn’t provide. Specifically, the school’s weight room.
So heres what I decided to add:

Thick bar dumbbell- just the dumbbell, no weights, and it is plate loaded with olympic plates.

Ironmind Hand Grippers-just good to have. Small, convenient, and I cant see them as getting in my roommate’s way.

Leverage bar-small, plate loaded, about 14 inches long including handle. will prob bring small weights, maybe a 5 and 2 2.5’s. standard size plates.

Rock climbing equipment-hoping to find a gym somewhere with a wall, or better yet, a rock climbing gym. Im spoiled cuz I live ab 20 minutes from the Gunks.

Chalk ball bag-for both climbing and weight lifting. Its convienent and leaves little mess as opposed to regular chalk blocks.

Weight lifting and wrestling shoes-cant live without. Non-negotiable.

6 lifting bands, for band training. Wil have to do without chains, as they are kinda big and heavy.

and MP3 player with “Heavy Music for Heavy Lifting” and that MP3 with the beeps that tell you when to lift if you are doing a tabata workout.

Ok, it sounds like a lot, but I dont think its too much. etween all of it, it will fit in a gym bag, and I plan on keeping it there under my bed. Hopefully my roomates won’t have a problem. Any other suggestions???

I have the chains. They are kept under the lower level desk in the gym in a canvas bag. If you brought bands that would be awesome-- I was thinking about getting some. If you brought a thick bar I might kiss you.

You must have a lot of coin to be stocking up on this type of stuff before college.

Also with the rock climbing you are in luck. On the west side of campus behind the Riverknoll apartments is the “Red Barn” which has a full climbing wall, a room where you move laterally around, and a wall with an almost 90 degree overhang. Excuse my terminology as I am not a climber myself.

Here is another suggestion, spend a bit more and get your own room.

The benefits are many!

Just don’t turn it into a gym or you’ll scare the ladies. But then again you won’t have to worry about them all showing up at your door at once!

Later, and enjoy!

[quote]greimer wrote:
Here is another suggestion, spend a bit more and get your own room.

The benefits are many!

Just don’t turn it into a gym or you’ll scare the ladies. But then again you won’t have to worry about them all showing up at your door at once!

Later, and enjoy![/quote]

At RIT it does not pay to get your own room. Try like $2800 a quarter which translates into $280 a week. You can stay in some hotels for less money.

Go to Sam’s Club and get the Super Value pack of condoms…

Hey just trying to make sure the kid protects himself…

Actually, on one of the college list things I was looking at, the economy pack of condoms was already mentioned, and I figured that that one was assumed.