Things That Piss You Off

Ok, my post was an asshole comment, that’s horrible. But man, I can’t believe sparklers would detonate in any way.

Wasn’t trying to shame or embarrass you. I get really frustrated with the fireworks myself. (I have a very nervous dog who is on me like white on rice during fireworks and thunderstorms.)

And I had no idea sparklers with explode either.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks, I can see a very different viewpoint on that stuff if you actually deal with it first-hand.

And yeah, my dog panics if they’re close (t-storms too, ha), used to scare my daughter too.

1 Like

I do as well - Poor guy. I have 2 dogs … one has no fear for anything. The other is really jumpy. Both rescues - the jumpy one we got when he was 2 or 3 and living on the streets of Houston. The other we got when she was a few months old and hadn’t really had to fend for herself.

It’s tough b/c there really isn’t much that can be done - unless you have any tips?

1 Like

My oldest brother burned the crap out of his entire hand with one of those when we were kids.

We couldn’t pack them tight enough to explode because we were only wrapping them in paper towels and masking tape.

2 Likes

Stike anywhere match stick heads packed inside a pipe bomb explode with more force than black powder. Some kid died around here a decade ago. Maybe folks should leave pyrotechnics to the experts.

I’ve been to the zambelli plant… where people died as recently as the early 90’s. That stuff is no joke.

2 Likes

Anybody else ever have bottle rocket battles using their bb gun barrels for better accuracy?

3 Likes

We used capped PVC or metal pipes haha

Edit: The bb gun is brilliant though!

1 Like

Its good for the little screamers! The big ones need the capped pipe though.

1 Like

We give our dog Xanax at 4th of July and New Years. (Our vet prescribes it.) Thunderstorms we just ride out with her panting in my lap.

Oh yeah. We would also tape firecrackers to nickels in order to give them enough heft so we could throw them at each other.

How we survived with our eyes, noses and fingers intact, I have no idea. But for the grace of God…

1 Like

Same here - we also use one of those anti-anxiety jackets. I don’t see any real difference in his anxiety during thunderstorms with it on; my wife thinks it works. It doesn’t hurt him so he wears it. The xanax calms him down relatively well

1 Like

We had a “fencing” club where we fought with lengths of pvc/steel/copper pipe. My buddy almost ran me through with a pointy old umbrella pole. Wtf were our parents thinking?

2 Likes

It was before I knew him, but a friend of mine and his idiot pals made a fertiliser bomb when they were kids. Like a real, legit bomb you could use to blow up a building.

They were just kids and didn’t know how big it was going to be, so they decided to just make it half the size the instructions they’d found said to. He said that saved his life. They’d all have died if they’d made the full size one. Says that it didn’t leave a hole, it left an actual crater.

Scary stuff.

6 Likes

Whilst in Europe, I was in a earthquake, just a small tremor but it reminded me of my dog back home.

During storms he’d shadow me until I sat down, at which point he’d either wedge himself between my legs or onto my lap and shake uncontrollably.

1 Like

We have a collar that is just an expensive piece of plastic that I need to pay out for once a month. Not only am I sure it does nothing, he is definitely worse because he hates the thing.

Essentially a worst case scenario … what is the collar supposed to do?

It supppsedly has an oil that smells of something calming to dogs. I never knew dogs were calmed by the smell of cheap plastic lol

Down right scary stuff
My old man used to manage a hardware store and hired an ex armed forces fellow.
They got talking one day and my dad mentioned that he had a crossbow that he was looking at selling when the ex-military fellow mentioned that he would be willing to swap around 5k worth of fireworks for the bow.
Since fireworks had become illegal for about 10 years prior in our state, they swapped the equipment and there was this one particular type of firework literally called “The BomB”
He gave us very precise instructions to set it up

Dig a hole 30cm in diameter, 30cm deep
Lay a timber base inside the hole, place the firework on the base and put a PVC pipe 1 metre in length directly over the top encasing said firework in, then fill in the rest of the hole with the dirt that was dug out, but make sure the pipe is level
Drop a match inside the pipe and by pretty accurate estimation due to the casing, you have about 45 seconds to get to the safe point before the fuse wick had engulfed to the powder

Somewhere along the line of construction, the pipe had fallen off level marginally, because when this thing went off, my god the destruction.
It caused a crater no joke about 10 metres wide by 3 metres deep
It was incredible, it was supposed to shoot up like a spiraling carousel but didnt even get airbourne, it just spun shooting blue and red ember digging this crater into the ground, and shooting the timber base out like a turbo charged frisbee

2 Likes

When one of your favourite bands drops the first song of a new album, and they have dramatically changed their sound/Style and you have no clue if you dig it or not. Or how the rest of the album will turn out😦