Things That Piss You Off

Most recently it’s been when professors tell you when something is due, and the entire class does it for that due date, and you get to class and he claims that he never even assigned it.

Also, when I’m sitting at a stop sign with my turn signal on to turn right. The person across from me has no turn signal. So I don’t pay them any attention and begin my turn, only to have them turn left and get mad at me for cutting them off. First of all, use your turn signal and that won’t happen. Second, I was at the intersection first. THIRD, do not tailgate me or try to fight me in the street. You’re being a douche.

Something to take with you for your entire life: Get it in writing.

This also works for you. Someone asked if I had made a change they asked for in a document last week. I asked if it was minuted from the feedback meeting, they said no, I said sorry. Full douche mode :smile:

2 Likes

This always puzzles me. Look, shit happens when we’re driving, sometimes it’s an honest mistake or a moment of confusion. We all do something like this from time to time. If someone accidentally cut you off, just let it go. Hell, even if they did it on purpose, let it go. Leaning on a horn, ominous tailgating, etc…nobody wins from that shit.

2 Likes

Overly cautious winter drivers.

Exactly. From introspection, I’ve realized that 99% of the time someone “does something to me” on the road (e.g., tailgating, cutting me off, not using a turn signal) it’s an accident. I’ve never intentionally cut someone off or confused anyone and I assume that most people don’t do those things on purpose. Rant over

Solid advice. Over the years (I say that like I’m old and wise – I’m not) I’ve lent a friend ~$50 total. $50 is not a ton of money, but it’s irritating because I’ve gotten about $10 back from him. “You never gave me a $20 bill!” he says. eyeroll

A word of advice: don’t lend anyone money that you’re not prepared to consider a gift. If you get it back, great. If you’re going to fret over the amount, it’s probably better not to lend it in the first place.

12 Likes

It upsets me when I explain that I’m a Believer, but I’m looked at as an idiot amongst the scientists, yet when I explain that I enjoy science and applying it, I’m looked at as tainted and a traitor by the Christian community.

3 Likes

Dave Ramsey 101 right there. Don’t ever lend money to friends and family. Debt is a power dynamic and kills relationships.

4 Likes

I’ve loaned people a $20.00 knowing that they’d finally slink off and avoid me for the rest of their lives. Worked wonderfully.

On the topic- Plumbing. More specifically, shower valve rebuilds.

And the guy at Home Depot, who directed me to go somewhere else to find what I needed.

Ran into something similar at Best Buy recently too. Its like customer service in retail now consists of “Go somewhere else. Fuck you for shopping at Shitco!”.

6 Likes

That’s better than trying to convince you what you want doesn’t exist or is no longer made.

It happens so much that I respond with “I have heard they no longer grow the trees for them but was hoping it wasn’t true”.

It’s about an equal split between those who:

• stare blankly,
  • agree with me
  • blame forresting/climate change
  • change subject
  • pretend I said nothing
  • argue/state that the product isn’t made with trees

and those who actually get the joke/jibe.

1 Like

That was part of the speculation prior to recommending I go somewhere else.

I ended up using a parts matcher guide there at the rack-o-stuff and actually did it. The shower faucet is currently (fingers crossed while knocking on wood) not leaking and lets water out when you turn the knob. Sometimes thats as good as it gets.

1 Like

No joke: my wife will drive to the Bridgeville Home Depot instead of the Bethel Park one (10-12 min drive vs 2-3 min drive from our house) because when we first moved to the area & started trying to buy the basics (grill, lawnmower, stuff like that) we had a hard time getting anyone to help us. I was a little amused - like, hello, I want to give you my money in exchange for goods, isn’t that kind of your whole business model?

3 Likes

I went to Home Depot to get a grill. I was manuvering the big ass box around, and a sales lady asked me if I needed one of those big flat carts. I was like, that be great! And she says, “there should be one out the front door, and around the corner by contractor pick up.” Thanks Lady!

I thought, this place can go to Hell! and went across the street to Lowes. I found a grill over there, but the box was way up 15’ on a top shelf. I needed a sales bro to get the fork lift and pull it down. This clown wanted to know the measurements of the vehicle I was driving first! He didn’t want to get the lift out for nothing!

As someone that used to work in a sporting goods store and had many MANY customers try to buy full size trampolines and have them shoved into a Honda Civic, I understand where the guy was coming from.

I was a sardonic 19 year old at the time (versus the current sardonic 30 something year old I am now), and when we got out to the car, I would gladly inform the individual that I would happily fit the trampoline into their vehicle. I just couldn’t guarantee I wouldn’t damage the vehicle in the process.

Or the trampoline.

Or the owner.

And then my boss would let me know it was most likely time for my break.

Hey, Rene Descartes, I appreciate your concern. I want my sales help Less sardonic and more obsequious!

Get the grill down!

2 Likes

I would have asked him if he needed to see my bank statements to make sure I had the money.

5 Likes

In a similar situation with me on the other end, I once wanted to buy a weight bench from a sporting goods store. I asked the helpful chap nearby what the weight capacity was on the bench.

His response was “I don’t know”.

I dutifully informed him that this wasn’t a closed book test, and he was welcome to use a reference to find an answer.

My wife at that point informed me that it was most likely time for my break.

…I apparently require many breaks.

10 Likes

Hey, kid was thinking ahead lol

Similar situation happened to me years ago that I guess I’ll never forget. I was at a 4-way stop, going straight, and the truck opposite me appeared to be doing the same. Well, apparently they intended to turn left. We went through simultaneously, and though they started their turn and had to bail on it, there was ample time and we didn’t come remotely close to an accident. I feel like this kind of thing happens regularly and the drivers carry on about their business maybe even exchange a nod or finger lift to acknowledge the “my bad” scenario.

That day was different. It was summer so both of our windows were down and before I even started passing them I could hear them losing their mind (and my radio was quite loud). I knew what I had to do. I slowed my pace a bit, turned the tunes down, locked eyes with this person, and calmly and sincerely said “you should really use your blinker next time”. As I started to drive off the sound that come from that vehicle was other worldly, a roar unlike anything I’ve heard before. I laughed the whole way to my destination.

3 Likes