Things That Piss You Off

You know what stinks Anna. The majority of my major classes are either 4:30 - 7:30 or 7:30 - 10. I believe there aren’t any major classes on Friday but it’s like that for Monday - Thursday. (Someone very important sent me scheduling for every major class being taught in the fall semester ). On top of that, students have general education classes/electives.

But, I refuse to believe 8 people out of everyone in my major doesn’t have maybe 10 minutes for one interview.

I say just worry about yourself

Apple presses give me rage-induced PTSD.

My buddy and I make our own mead, and decided to try a still cider last year. We managed to get about 22L of juice from the apples we picked, which after racking and aging netted us about 2 dozen 750ml bottles. Which is great!

What WASN’T great was the process of splitting the apples, grinding them, pressing, repeating, emptying the press, then going through it all again for hours. Cleaning up was a bitch too.

Fucking apple presses.

1 Like

What is this club? And why are you involved in it?

I’m not saying that quitting is the answer to things but it doesn’t sound like people care about it, or at least not in the way that it currently exists, and you are just getting angrier and more confused about why it’s not going well. Couldn’t you just focus on doing your best and doing whatever is good for you?

What’s good for me is making sure this organization gets stronger so it can last longer.
I don’t want to just keep it alive.

It’s a academic organization, meaning it’s based on my major. It’s also based on a national organization.

Like a true Viking

1 Like

If you apply the 90/10 rule, and say that 8 people represent 10% of the people in your major, that gives you about 80 people in your major.

Does that accurately represent the real number and participants?

What about my second and third questions?

It’s fine to want the organization to thrive, but why are you so determined to get it to that point?

Jshaving, I know 3 of the previous presidents of this org. They all tell me the organization has had a history of cruddy attendance. I want to put an end to the bad attendance.

This is my first time in a leader position (president). Since I’m in such a role I want to do the best I can do. The president before me and someone else inspired me to grow through the organization. I also want to do everyone in my power to secure a job after graduating.

1 Like

I was president of an organization when I was in undergrad that was in a similar situation. Something I found to be effective was I went from class to class telling everyone in the class of the events and topics we would be discussing (it was an academic organization) with the professors’ blessing of course.

I’m sure you’re hustling to get the word out for this event but something I found was that recruiting OTHERS to spread the word for me helped a lot … so like a friend of a friend would bring people, so on and so forth.

It’s tough to drum up interest for a lot of these extracurricular organizations but keep at it and be creative. The leadership and organizational experience will help out tremendously in the real world no matter where you end up.

3 Likes

That sounds awesome! I went apple picking a couple weekends ago, and while it was fun, I did not appreciate sweating in the process. The leaves haven’t turned colors here yet. :pensive:

I’m a gen Z white girl. I embrace it. I have fall-scented soaps and wax melts. I bought fancy pumpkin spice tea a couple days ago. But using any of those things simply does not feel right if I’m not comfortably wearing a sweater and listening to Death Cab for Cutie as the leaves crunch beneath my feet on a cool autumn day…

4 Likes

When do you have to have had your internship arranged by?

I think you may be over estimating how far people think ahead. When I had internships, it was set up as a subject. So as long as you had your internship set up by the fourth week of the ‘subject’ startingyou were good.

The number of people who thought:

• the internship would be set up for them
  • could land an internship in a day or two
  • would get some alternative arrangement

Was mindboggling.

1 Like

To be honest I’m not even sure maybe just before the end of your senior year I’m assuming. I am definitely overestimating how many people think ahead. There is probably a very small amount who do. Ironically, thinking ahead is a very very important skill in this field.

But, regardless I don’t believe the whole job and internship thing should be taken so lightly. You could definitely get lucky and land a job without having to do a lot after you graduate giving that you’re able to sell yourself.

But, I think there’s a very low percentage that’s able to do that ( I do not know for sure but from my experience of being in a couple career fairs it is not that easy). I just wouldn’t take chances with that. Having a job is such a blessing. My mindset is to do everything in my power to secure a job after college. That is the overall point of going to college anyway. Not saying that you can’t grow in other aspects of your life but, people are there so they can get a high paying job when they’re done. I would encourage others to do the same. The older I got, the more shocked I am at how much everything costs. I lived in an apartment for my internship this past summer. I was paying everything with student loan refunds. It’s so much money.

Edit: My dad paid for food shopping but I paid for everything else.

1 Like

Yes. You are very mature to be doing so. Most ppl aren’t. Time discounting

I’d imagine so.

It definitely shouldn’t

You’re killing it!
Another thing i will say: don’t take things too seriously. If you find doing work/ organizing stuff enjoyable, then go for it. If your grinding or getting extremely frustrated because of fear for the future, then take your foot off the gas a bit.

Ik it sounds a bit hypocritical coming from me, but I’m not foregoing a social life because I think it’ll impact my future, I’m doing so because I’d genuinely rather be reading papers or parsing data than going out

1 Like

This belongs in the Things That Make You Happy thread, but it didn’t go over 55 here yesterday, and was a perfect Applefest day. Hoodies all 'round!

3 Likes

Was in Providence last night for Rogers Williams Zoo Pumpkin Spectacular … it was a perfect night for it

1 Like

Sometimes I have those nights where I can’t fall asleep. It’s such an awful feeling and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I was watching Superman Red Son on my iPad at 9 or 10 then I think I fell asleep. I don’t even remember what happened. I woke up at 1:26 am in some weird sleepy state. I was so tired but, I got up and washed my face, flossed, then brushed my teeth. As soon as I went to bed I was wide awake. I couldn’t fall asleep at all.

Arghh I hate the feeling so much. Especially how my eyes feel. It’s hard to explain but I was unable to just melt into a deep sleep.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say this pisses me off, but it’s something I would like to be different. I bought a bus recently, and just dropped it off at a mechanic’s this morning for an oil change and just a general inspection of things. I hardly know anything about vehicles, and because of that, don’t even always know how to voice the questions or thoughts I’m having. Most, not all, but most of the mechanics I’ve ever dealt with offer up very little information regarding what they’re doing or what they’ve done, and if I do ask questions, they give a short answer with as few details as possible, usually leading to one or two follow up questions.

I’m not shy or embarassed - if I need to figure something out I am capable of talking until we get to a solution. It’d just be nice if they would have stronger customer service skills and offer up a little bit more info for my peace of mind. I’m not the expert, they are. Please help me out, haha.

1 Like

Get a different mechanic?

I don’t know much about vehicles either but if they tell me something is broke and they want to fix it, I ask them to show it to me on the car first. Usually broken/leaky parts are easy to see.

This is the part that caught my attention.

2 Likes