T Nation

Things That Piss You Off

I want to get around to reviewing my dashcam footage to see if I can find it. Would make great watching.

Way to fucking give me a PTSD recurrence (joking, kind of).

Early on in Trashganistan, we were in a fairly close quarters combat and shot Hajis probably 10 times (in bursts of 3), center mass, and they keep coming. I thought I was missing or they had steel plates or something. (Unlike a video game, there is no way to really tell if you’ve shot someone.) They finally fell down and had holes right through their hearts. They were just so hyped up on meth/crack/whatever it took them 30 seconds to lie down after they were dead. 30 seconds is FOREVER.

When I was doped up in Walter Reed I kept on re-experiencing this episode to the point I thought I was there. Would wake up, my heart going 150, and pouring sweat.

Anyway, this is why so many people now use 7.62mm (~.308) round in the area. So people fucking die like they are supposed to die.

While we were at work yesterday, the bored freeloader/unemployed dog found a spare tub of protein powder and broke into it. The mechanics of how a dog actually eats protein powder that they’ve spilled around a room involve a decent portion of powder and slobber being worked into whatever surface it’s eaten off of. The room and dog still smell like “cake batter” which I think is going to be pretty gross based off the smell (just always buy whatever flavor is cheapest). She was very thirsty last night. About half the powder was left, but now I’m wondering how much she tried to lick it out of the tub, and how much the rest may be compromised. The damn dog still has the energy of a puppy but is clearly in the not-giving-a-fuck years you see in old dogs.

Sugar-free Jello…the only food item defying the laws of caloric density where a gram of protein = 10kcal
Capture

don’t forget calorically dense sodium.

Ehh if somone, anyone, brandishes a handgun (anygun) at me ESPECIALLY if I had my child with me, they would automatically be terminated from this earth.

I may have done what you did if I was alone, but if my baby was with me. Regardless of age, race, creed, etc. I will fear for my life and those I care about and end the threat.

Edit, then I would piss on her and that dog.

I was alone at that point. It was the previous confrontation that I had my kid with me.

The methods they use to measure macro contents is not precise and it’s also different to the method they use to measure the calorie content which is also not precise. Then there’s rounding errors.

End result is this where labels can be off by upto 25%.

I have a (not immediate) elderly family member who is has been diagnosed with Parkinsonian-like deficiencies that have progressively gotten worse over the last 5 years. She had a stroke 2 days ago and her family didn’t take her to the hospital. Their reasoning was, she has a DNR and had previously expressed (years ago) that she wouldn’t want extra-ordinary medical intervention. She is also exhibiting signs of infection and her family isn’t seeking medical attention for the same reason.

Jesus f’ing Christ, I’m not sure I’d consider a course of Zithromax and a check-up by a doctor to be contrary to the spirit of a DNR. This all seems very fucked up to me but it’s really not my place to say/do anything except lend support.

I agree. It sounds more like elder abuse to deny medical attention. That isn’t heroic measures, it’s just basics.

Yeah in my mind DNR is not the same as neglecting someone until they die

Edit to my above post: My relative has an advance directive (much like a living will) that, I was told, covers much of what’s going on with them right now including not seeking treatment for stroke and not treating infections. I was told the dementia is much worse than what I saw over the holidays as well.

Matriarch of the family, kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. Really just an amazingly sweet woman. LIved a full life. Not tragic, just terribly sad.

DNRs are a crazy thing. When family’s involved you never know what is gonna happen.

On the other hand there are patients the end of life, whose families know they should get a DNR, but are too lazy, then get mad when you tell them you’re going to do CPR. Because it’s the law.

There are also families of patients at the end of life, who want you to do CPR, even though the patient’s life at that point is pretty much pure suffering. So yeah, let’s prolong that suffering for a few more days by breaking all of their ribs and shoving a tube down their throat.

miracles happen donchaknow

It’s a hard thing and a very grey area. I’ve dealt with those issues myself recently and every situation is fact specific and reasonable minds disagree about what makes a person “comfortable”. Plus, lots of emotions – and just being f—g exhausted as a caregiver.

I know it’s hard, but do try to give the caregivers the benefit of the doubt. They’re a lot closer to the situation.

You’re right, and I hope I don’t come off as too harsh. There are definitely people who don’t take steps because they’re lazy. Then there are those who are obviously overwhelmed, and when the doctor was explaining a DNR to them, they were still processing the fact that Mom is about to die.
The DNR is just one more piece of paperwork in a pile of paperwork.

Duquesne Light. I know that power companies can get away with treating customers anyway they want, because they’re a monopoly and nobody has a choice. But damn it they need better PR people.

When you call, before you can even press any buttons: “due to high winds we have 60,000 customers without power”. Then the people who take your call while you’re reporting a transformer lying on the road repeat that montra.

What they’re saying is that they’re really bad at their job. They did no preventative maintenance, pole replacement or tree trimming to be proactive (you can see the brass tabs on poles in western PA say 1948 or similar installation dates). They just wait for shit to break. It’s also a tacit admission that they don’t have the staff to support the customers they do have.

In what other business would that be a winning strategy for defect/complaint management? Walk up to the customers service desk at American Airlines: “please be aware that we’ve lost 5,000 customer’s luggage this week alone.” So you suck, got it.

Not mad at the guys fixing poles or the poor ladies answering phones. But the management has a serious case of the stupid.

My husband and I both have living wills, with one another our health care proxies (person who makes decisions). His specifically forbids use of antibiotics. Mine allows for it. It’s the only measure on which we disagree. The healthcare proxy kicks in if I’m for-sure dying of some horrible misery - cancer, deadly stroke - and I can’t communicate my wishes. If I get a urinary tract infection or some sort of painful inflamed tooth situation on top of the dying issue I’ve figured give me the antibiotics so at least I don’t have urinary urgency or burning when I pee as I’m trying to do my important dying.

I definitely see the rationale behind Dr. P’s relatives’ choice, and am now questioning my antibiotic choice. My mother-in-law died two weeks ago after a six year romp with dementia, which in the last couple of years was severe enough that she had trouble expressing thoughts before losing them - and these weren’t complex thoughts, more along the lines of “I love you.” She was often frightened and she was always in pain, but that was hard to resolve because she couldn’t identify well what was going on or follow through on suggestions (don’t slump over in your wheelchair). She had no meaningful exchanges, couldn’t be removed from the nursing home because it hurt her to be moved and because she became frightened and overwhelmed. She was incapable of any self-care at all.

When she was still able to, she talked about death regularly, saying things like “if the good Lord has something he wants me to do, I wish he’d let me know what it is so I can do it.” My husband and I have had many conversations that consisted of “You promise you’ll kill me, right?” “Yes, I promise I’ll kill you.” He saw her weekly, despite her living 3 hours from us. When the nursing home became necessary we had the conversation pretty much every week after he’d visited. His sister was there multiple times a week, and her grandchildren were regular presences. Had something happened, a stroke or infection, and they’d let her die it would have been out of compassion, not lack of caring.

She’s not the first person I’ve watched lose all quality of life and still somehow plug along for years. Sitting vigil at her deathbed it occurred to me that we need to stockpile morphine somehow.

Prolonging a life that has lost all meaning and any element of joy is not a compassionate choice, it’s a fearful one.

@Dr_Pangloss, I’m sorry for your family’s loss.

My wife and I have living wills too but we didn’t get as detailed as you. Ours says that if we’re on life support and two separate doctors believe we won’t recover then we get unplugged. The decision isn’t up to either of us so we’re not burdened with that.