Things That Make You Happy

Florida is probably one of the last states I’d move to, haha. How’d you end up out there? Work?

As far as weather goes, I like the Midwest. At least in my area, we’ve avoided all the storms, floods, hurricanes, tornados, fires, etc. that the coasts and the South have. Just blizzards and if you’re in a town/city, those are no biggie.

Work is really the only reason. I am an aerospace engineer and I now live on the Space Coast (12 miles as the crow flies to Kennedy Space Center). There are a bunch of aero and space companies here.

1 Like

Where can I find this, Floria?

Didn’t notice that. It was one of two typos in the post. Embarrassing…

Eben sumtimes I maek typos to Jshavingcream

1 Like

Some coworkers would call me shaving cream or shaving gel back in high school. (Shaving is actually my last name. I don’t really care if people figure out who I am, I’ve got a very small online presence and nothing to hide.) Anyway, just made me chuckle to see it again. Haven’t heard it since my grocery bagging days.

2 Likes

Aldis and squash

Went to Aldis for some squash. Got two acorn squashes and a butternut squash for $5!!!

2 Likes

Aldi is the best. I told a gym friend to check it out. He didn’t for the longest time, but yesterday he was like I am doing my shopping at Aldi now. I am saving $40-$50 a week. I didn’t do an I told you so, but thought it.

2 Likes

I started to put this in the food thread but it makes me so happy so I chose here:

Been doing fresh salmon filets from Publix for dinner the last couple nights and it’s so good. I either get brown sugar glazed or bourbon glazed. SO. DAMN. YUMMY!!! and anabolic AF!

Tonight’s was brown sugar, nice sear on the outside and the middle was raw. 1 cup of jasmine rice with some coconut aminos was just right :ok_hand:t3:

6 Likes

I can’t tell you how many people I’ve met that think they’re cooking tasty salmon and they’re eating a flaky mess. When you have a good salmon fillet, you can have it medium rare-rare in the middle, and those long lines you see in raw salmon will just fall apart into thin, tender slices when a fork touches them.

That piece falling over on the larger, right piece - that’s how every layer of it separates, and it’s heaven.

I still like canned tuna and salmon, but I eat cheap ground beef and I’m not cooking it the same way I’d cook a grass-fed tomahawk, haha.

5 Likes

This probably wasn’t cooked right but it did easily crumble into layers (what you describe) :tipping_hand_man: I just mixed it all together and ate it.

It’s pretty easy to cook them perfectly - there’s no reason to assume you didn’t cook them right. Broiling them at high heat for 10 minutes, baking them for 10-15 minutes at 400, pan-frying them skin-side down until the opaque color creeps up most of the side of the salmon and finishing them upside-down for a nice sear, grilling them, etc. - all of them give a great piece of salmon, and leaning towards rare has a better taste and texture than leaning towards well done. I’m sure what you cooked was great.

1 Like

I like to bake them at 400, then turn the broiler on when they’re getting close (as @flappinit says, the color changes) to crisp the outside. Delicious. So much so that I’ve stopped using more than kosher salt and pepper because the simple salmon taste just hits the spot.

We have it weekly. It takes like ten minutes from start to finish.

2 Likes

My trick is to set the oven to 375- 400, then put the salom in from the start and let it cook as the oven heats. When it gets to temp, then turn the broiler on for about a minute or take it out of the oven and place skin side down on a searing hot pan

The scent of firewood burning on a crisp fall evening, especially when I’m exercising or working in my yard. I feel a connection with… something, maybe my roots, and it also reminds me of home.

4 Likes

I’m starting to smell smoke now and then as my neighbors fire up their wood stoves and fireplaces, and I have to agree, there’s nothing better.

Fire pits and bonfires have a similarly good smell, but for me don’t evoke the same sense of coziness.

I’m not sure which you’re talking about, bonfires or chimney smoke, but whichever - I agree!

3 Likes

Chimney smoke in particular, because

Same with me, although outdoor fires are, indeed, also great.

Yesterday I went to LUSH, and the cashier gave me two items for free. Dunno if it was forgetfulness or whatever, but that’s the kind of customer service I like. :joy:

I almost paid to replace a jacuzzi tub in a rented cabin in the mountains after a trip to Lush prior to a getaway :joy:

1 Like

Got to see a really good performance of Beethoven’s 6th and 7th symphonies last night … fantastic stuff

1 Like