Things That Make You Happy

My brother visiting and posing with my youngest, and my eldest eating his coal fired pizza properly folded like a true Noo Yawkuh.

Thanks @EmilyQ for the thread.

6 Likes

I was at the gym. There was a guy who was looking around - a prospective member I think is what gyms call them.

I was having a chat to him by the stone platform talking about how I find the gym and Strongman in general. I guess he wanted a member’s perspective.

As he was watching stones being loaded, he tells me that this stuff is much harder for old guys like us. Normally, I don’t have an issue with comments like this but this guy was particularly out of shape and old looking and kinda ugly and also bald and also short.

That I can be comparable to this guy, even if it’s just in his head, makes me very sad.

It makes me happy to talk about things that make me sad when people want to talk about what makes them happy.

3 Likes

'nuff said~

6 Likes

That reminds me of this thing I saw once that I found pretty cute

2 Likes

Kevin Smith and Jay Mewes got their handprints in front of Grauman’s Chinese Theater. That make me happy. Huge Kevin Smith fan, even after Yoga Hosers. His speech also made me happy. (Mewes talks first, Smith starts around 3:30)

Spoiler Alert: He brought his dad’s ashes because his family visited the theater together 40 years ago, and he ends up imprinting the base of the urn in the concrete block. Looks like it was a coffee cup, but it’s the old man.

1 Like

Right now, I really enjoy weekend mornings. I walk to a neighborhood coffeeshop with my sons (who invariably order the most expensive drink like “matche frappe latte” or some other $6 concoction), and we sit and do our work. They do homework, and I catch up on some things. I help them with science and math, or whatever, and then we usually get some snacks and talk.

I know these days won’t last more than a couple more years, so I don’t mind splurging on their favorite coffeeshop drink.

1 Like

That sounds like a perfect Saturday morning.

1 Like

True but they will return when they are old enough to drink. Its pretty cool to take your grown kids out for a cocktail.

It makes me happiest that I raised a child who I would have enjoyed as a friend if I had just met them somewhere.

4 Likes

I’ll jump on the kids bandwagon. Those are my super well behaved dogs (wife’s an animal trainer) and my 3-week old son. They already love him deeply, and my wife and I are so enraptured by him.
Even though he eats away at some of my sleep, and I’m a little more rushed every day trying to balance getting things done and helping out with him, my new son makes me so happy.

12 Likes

In the Chicago airport, waiting on my connecting flight. Been away from my wife for 6 weeks, have the weekend with her before going out to my ship. That makes me happy

3 Likes

Family from my wife, kid (soon to be kids), nieces, nephews, etc.

Long term friends and how technology allows us to stay close. I’m in two text groups that really matter to me. One is 4 of us from childhood and the other is 5 from college. Some of these people I haven’t seen in over 5 years but we talk everyday. Yeah most of it’s bullshit memes, talking about our sports teams, bitching about work, fucking around with each other, but it’s great. Most of the funniest parts of my day are checking in on those groups. Makes you feel as if you are right there still even if geography makes it to where you aren’t.

And obviously the gym. I don’t get in as much as I used to and I’m certainly more shitty with diet and such than when I was obsessive about it but I still love training. Just something about hitting the iron still does it for me. Everything disappears and for 30-90 minutes depending on things I get to put on headphones and enter a world where essentially other people don’t exist. Just me trying to get better at a lift. Never fails to make me happy.

2 Likes

Obviously I hijacked the confession thread with my dog antics, but he’s home safe and I’m still over the moon about it. My wife and both sons fell asleep on the couch after pulling the pillows off, and I put all of them to bed just now, and got up to make myself a drink and came back to this

And I have no intention of making him move. Currently sitting on the recliner with my guitar and a glass of bourbon playing tunes and watching my friend enjoy the home I gladly share with him.

8 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

YES!!! I recently reconnected with my best friends from ES who I haven’t seen/spoken to in 8 years! I honestly couldn’t believe how much and how little they’re changed- at the same time!

happy dog, happy life!

I got my first paycheck today! ( I work as a lab assistant to one of my professors)

It’s not much but I finally have the satisfaction of earning my own money instead of draining my parents.

Confession: I decided to “celebrate” by splurging on a Starbucks Latte…

1 Like

It makes me happy to see your name and avatar. It also makes me happy to see the kid and dog, assuming they’re yours. Are you a farmer now?

Whoa… how’s it going man?

Memes