Things that Annoy Me at the Gym

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
I know this has been done before, but I just wanted to share my top 6 list.

1. Partial Rep Pros i.e. Ego Super Stars - People who NEVER use full range of motion. You’re not that strong; you can’t bench 315 to depth and if you do, you bounce it off your chest and then have your spotter curl the bar off of you.

2. The C.A.B. Crew - You get to the gym, do a set of Curls, a set of Abs a set of Bench and call it a day.

3. Cardio Addicts - People that ONLY do cardio because according to them, if they even LOOK at a weight wrong, they’ll explode and become the next Mr or Ms. Olympia. Oh and of course, doing cardio is the most effective way to lose fat, duh.

4. Ostrich Syndrome - You look like you lift weights at first glance, but that’s only because you’ve been part of the C.A.B. crew for the past 10 years and successfully created an optical illusion. If someone told you to squat or do one of it’s variations, you would tell them you would, but it’s bad for your knees. You prefer to train your legs on the elliptical or recumbent bike while reading GQ Magazine.

5. The Belted Warrior - Why are you wearing a belt during your set of curls? If you’re using your back THAT much, you’re probably not strong enough to use that weight.

6. The Etiquette Challenged - Yes, I’m still using that piece of equipment, my belt and water bottle are 1 inch from it and my sweat is still on it. Yes, I’m planning to use that 45 lbs plate, please don’t take it off during the MIDDLE of my set. Go get that one from the Smith Machine that’s 3 feet away. Why wouldn’t you do that in the first place? No one is on it! You want to know how many sets of squats I still have left in the rack? Quite a few, why what are you planning to do? Curls and Pullups?! Here’s a tip, if you can pick the bar up off the ground, you don’t need the rack! There’s also 6 other stations you can use that are SPECIFICALLY BUILT for pullups!!! Please put your weights away when you’re done, consider it part of your workout.[/quote]

Points 1 to 5 are bullshit because it’s none of your goddamn business how other people lift. You have no right to be annoyed.

Point 6 is bullshit because even though you feel hardcore being the solemn monk in the temple of iron benching 225, if another person wants to work in, let them! If stripping off a plate or 2 is too much to ask for, then maybe you’re not cut out for this.

I award you zero points. You get nothing, you lose! Good day, Sir!

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:
Yes, I got spoiled.
Both places are very small, with 1-2 employees.
It’s not like a Ballys with rows of vending machines or anything.
My old gym took it a step further, with bowls of fruit and/or bars, as well.
After a few years of that, it starts to feel perfectly normal.
Then, to go to a new place that hits me up for a ‘water donation’?
It feels annoying, yes, lol.[/quote]
Seriously… why can’t you just use the water fountain?[/quote]

It’s not fortified with vitamins for his dainty little mouth…[/quote]

One demands to be hand fed with peeled pre-workout grapes. Otherwise daddy will fire everybody.

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

He got a puurdy lil moth, ain’t he?

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

http://www.brawndo.com/

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

Now that you mention it…there is no water fountain.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

Or go completely nuts: ARRIVE at the gym with your gallon in hand like all us other lunk heads. But that would be too easy, now, would it be?[/quote]

Definately the way to go. Let’s see if I can manage to remember it at 5:15am.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

Or go completely nuts: ARRIVE at the gym with your gallon in hand like all us other lunk heads. But that would be too easy, now, would it be?[/quote]

Definately the way to go. Let’s see if I can manage to remember it at 5:15am.[/quote]

If you don’t remember your jug, then staying properly hydrated must not be a priority in the first place.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

Now that you mention it…there is no water fountain.[/quote]

Well that makes some sense at least.
But still, why not just bring water from home? Besides being an insane rip off, bottled water is pretty bad for the environment.

Buying bottled water is pretty dumb unless you live in a place where the drinking water sources are also toilets.
Easily the best modern example of false consciousness relating to consumer products.
Tap water is cleaner in most cases anyway.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

Definately the way to go. Let’s see if I can manage to remember it at 5:15am.[/quote]

Go cry me a fucking river. One the one hand, you are the solemn monk getting up for the temple of iron at 5:15, yet you cannot be bothered with a fucking task as fucking asinine as filling up a fucking water jug. Who the fuck took off your helmet, retard? Do they let you live on your own?

For fucks sake, tell your 'tard wrangler to fill up a water jug the night before so that you can grab it from the counter on the way to the gym along with your retard identification badge and bright-orange vest.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

Go cry me a fucking river. One the one hand, you are the solemn monk getting up for the temple of iron at 5:15, yet you cannot be bothered with a fucking task as fucking asinine as filling up a fucking water jug. Who the fuck took off your helmet, retard? Do they let you live on your own?

For fucks sake, tell your 'tard wrangler to fill up a water jug the night before so that you can grab it from the counter on the way to the gym along with your retard identification badge and bright-orange vest.[/quote]

Holy Christ. Your post matches your avatar perfectly. ROFLAO

[quote]Simon Adebisi wrote:
Buying bottled water is pretty dumb unless you live in a place where the drinking water sources are also toilets.
Easily the best modern example of false consciousness relating to consumer products.
Tap water is cleaner in most cases anyway.
[/quote]

I agree. I rarely buy bottled water for home. I don’t like ‘buying’ water at all, which was the point of my original post. But even giving bottled water away for free, its an environmental mess. Most places are getting better with recycling but not everywhere. In fact, at my last gym, I was the one to get them to recycle. It took about two months to get it through the owners thick head to recycle. Even then, I think he only did it to shut me up.

So here’s another thing that annoys me: Gyms that don’t recycle!

(Flame away)

Recycling produces a lot of waste and pollution itself.
The best plan of action is to reduce the use of the materials.
But as long as everybody buys into the bottled water being better for you bullshit, it will never happen.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Yes, I got spoiled.

If you don’t remember your jug, then staying properly hydrated must not be a priority in the first place.[/quote]
I used to bring my jug in, until my gym incorporated a “no whiskey” policy. assholes.

I believe MLK summed up your whiskey predicament best when he wrote:

“There are just laws and there are unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that an unjust law is no law at all… One who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly…I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law.”

Drink loud. Drink proud.

[quote]Simon Adebisi wrote:
Recycling produces a lot of waste and pollution itself.
The best plan of action is to reduce the use of the materials.
But as long as everybody buys into the bottled water being better for you bullshit, it will never happen.[/quote]

Agreed. After the owner of my old gym finally got religion, he put in a big jug water cooler. Great for people re-filling their water bottles.

Even the company I work for is frowning on the bottled water. It used to be that most of the execs would have a small refrig under their desk with bottled water, cokes, etc. No more. They took them all out. Primariy to reduce elec consumption/carbon footprint.

I think it’s impossible not to shake your head at some silly stuff people do in the gym. When people say “What does it matter to you what someone else does at the gym?” I think of something like teaching Creationism in schools…what does it matter to me what some teachers have to teach their students. Or if some guy next to me says WWII started in 1955…what does it matter to me what some guy next to me gets wrong about history?

I’m saying if you have some guy next to you, for example, is grunting while curling 20lb DBs and dropping them on the floor…he’s an idiot. You don’t necessarily need to go up and tell him, because then you’d never get your own workout done, and someone who’s been going to the gym for years and still does dumb stuff can’t be helped.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I think it’s impossible not to shake your head at some silly stuff people do in the gym. When people say “What does it matter to you what someone else does at the gym?” I think of something like teaching Creationism in schools…what does it matter to me what some teachers have to teach their students. Or if some guy next to me says WWII started in 1955…what does it matter to me what some guy next to me gets wrong about history?

I’m saying if you have some guy next to you, for example, is grunting while curling 20lb DBs and dropping them on the floor…he’s an idiot. You don’t necessarily need to go up and tell him, because then you’d never get your own workout done, and someone who’s been going to the gym for years and still does dumb stuff can’t be helped.
[/quote]

You mean like the idiot at my gym that sets the assisted chin up machine to match his body weight. Nothing like chin ups in space to make an astronaut strong and verile.

get this - the place I lift at once in a while has free beer, good music, no membership fees and to top it off I’m the only one there.

[quote]ReignIB wrote:
get this - the place I lift at once in a while has free beer, good music, no membership fees and to top it off I’m the only one there.
[/quote]

Nice - I used to work out at a place like that too when I was about 17. I got kicked out.

Now I have to pay some crazy membership fee called mortgage and utilities or something. lol