Things my doctor said

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Now I have met fit, lean type II diabetics. Yes, it surprised me the first time, but now I realise that there truly is a reasonably strong genetic predisposition for insulin resistance and type II diabetes, based upon familial history.

I’m not saying you can’t beat the odds - at all.

But I am saying that IMO, all other things being equal, the person with the familial history, is likely to have worse insulin sensitivity.

But it shouldn’t be too hard to be a damn site healthier and more insulin sensitive than a lifetime heavy drinker with a sweet tooth :wink:

At the end of the day it comes down to this: no matter what your family history; if you treat your body like shit, then you can expect to reap the rewards.

That wasn’t a poke at your father BTW.

:slight_smile:

BBB[/quote]

No worries :slight_smile:

Neither my dad’s dad nor mom had T2D, yet because he made himself have it, all of the sudden it’s genetic in me? That doesn’t sound right. I argue anyone with enough effort can make themselves test positive for T2D, but that’s the sort of thing that can’t be ethically studied.

btw BBB, the Modok comment was that he told me the ALT can be slightly elevated (as it was in my case) because of strenuous physical activity. After his comment I saw that exact statement in the ALT literature. The next time I test it, I’ll do it after a week of deloading.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]bam7196 wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
So, just so we’re clear: no one here thinks there is a genetic component to an individual’s predisposition to any given disease?[/quote]

Some, but not many, and even then it won’t big a big part of it.

IMO, if one were to stay lean (not just skinny) with exercise and proper diet (maybe something like Paleo or darn close) they would almost never develop T2 diabetes, even if everyone in their family has it. Now, is that to say the disease itself is genetically based? Perhaps the parents DNA changed some when they lead a poor lifestyle and it got passed on. I doubt that T2 diabetes is a natural disease in and of itself, if that makes sense.

Both my parents had heart attacks before age 50, so for life insurance that hurts me. Yet, they both smoke, don’t workout, eat garbage…

It was once (and still by many) thought that Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s was greatly genetic, when new research is showing that not to be the case, only a very small % 5-10, even then only half of those would develop it.

The power of diet and exercise IMO is greatly underestimated by the health industry for preventing disease.

Of course, there’s also the environmental factor and stress, but come on. Most diseases are not seen in non-western/industrialized cultures.

How many tigers or lions develop half the disease of man?[/quote]

The key to all of this is that neither side is 100% correct. Type 2 diabetes shows much more of a genetic component than Type 1. This is a predisposition, not an absolute. Those with DM2 in either parent would do well to keep their diet in check as they are more likely to develop the disease, but it is not a certainty; just as a person with no DM2 in their family can certainly develop it with longstanding poor eating/exercise habits.

I actually had to put a guy in the ICU about 3 weeks ago after he came in in DKA with an anion gap of ~34. This was a young, athletically built guy, but his hemoglobin A1C was literally unreadable. This is the type of guy who would likely have a genetic predisposition to DM2 and will have to do VERY well with diet and exercise to maintain a high quality of life (avoiding retinopathy, nephropathy, neuropathy, etc.)

Genetic structure is not changed by diet. Gene expression certainly is, but not the actual DNA which is passed from parent to child.

As far as the Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s: there are subtypes of both of these disease processes, and neither is anywhere near fully classified. It appears there is a familial form of Alzheimer’s, which is very early onset; but has different genetics than other forms of Alzheimer’s (and likely a different genetic locus altogether). There is also a lot of research now into what’s being called Type 3 Diabetes and it’s link to alzheimers, although this is not the leading theory currently. Parkinson’s also involves many of the same themes as above.

Anyway, the new thinking seems to be genetic predisposition + environment (nutrition, exposure) for most disease processes, with neither being the absolute “most important element”.

I totally agree that diet is grossly underestimated in western civ and medicine. As for the “most diseases aren’t seen in non-western countries” comment, what do you mean by this?[/quote]

Tooth decay, heart disease, cancer (certain types seem to be more diet based), Alz, Parkinson’s, T2 diabetes, obesity, etc. I’m not talking about just other countries, I’m referring to societies that are or were largely hunter-gatherers.
[/quote]

Likely diet related: Heart Disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity

Tooth decay and cancer are a little of both (exposure being even more important)

Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are likely higher in developed countries but this is an artifact of sorts from the statistics. Both occur in the older demographic and increased life expectancy in western countries (and eastern europe) provides a higher volume of individuals prone to this particular malady. We also have to consider that if a disease process occurs in a population but the people are not followed in a way which allows for that disease to be diagnosed then their numbers will be lower, but not necessarily because the disease is not occurring.

And, although Type 1 diabetes is much less of a genetic process, you are spot on in your thoughts about auto-immune disease playing a large role. This process accounts for a large portion of type 1 diabetes in patients who lose exocrine and endocrine function of the pancreas due to autoimmunity. Your metaphor of genetics loading the gun and exposure/environment firing it is also excellent.

@BBB: the idea that anyone would even be suspected of gout and not told to lower purines in their diet is ridiculous. Very glad you were there to rectify.

What meds was this patient on which made you worry about overwhelming of CYP?

[quote]qsar wrote:

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Now I have met fit, lean type II diabetics. Yes, it surprised me the first time, but now I realise that there truly is a reasonably strong genetic predisposition for insulin resistance and type II diabetes, based upon familial history.

I’m not saying you can’t beat the odds - at all.

But I am saying that IMO, all other things being equal, the person with the familial history, is likely to have worse insulin sensitivity.

But it shouldn’t be too hard to be a damn site healthier and more insulin sensitive than a lifetime heavy drinker with a sweet tooth :wink:

At the end of the day it comes down to this: no matter what your family history; if you treat your body like shit, then you can expect to reap the rewards.

That wasn’t a poke at your father BTW.

:slight_smile:

BBB[/quote]

No worries :slight_smile:

Neither my dad’s dad nor mom had T2D, yet because he made himself have it, all of the sudden it’s genetic in me? That doesn’t sound right. I argue anyone with enough effort can make themselves test positive for T2D, but that’s the sort of thing that can’t be ethically studied.

btw BBB, the Modok comment was that he told me the ALT can be slightly elevated (as it was in my case) because of strenuous physical activity. After his comment I saw that exact statement in the ALT literature. The next time I test it, I’ll do it after a week of deloading.
[/quote]

No, not likely genetic in you. Your father’s genetic predisposition was probably small, but he developed the condition secondary to his diet. Your genetic predisposition is most likely similar and I would venture your physician was being overly cautious in stating that you should maintain a healthy diet. If he’s wrong about your genetics you eat healthy; if he’s wrong, you still eat healthy. It wasn’t specific advice, but sound nontheless

[quote]anonym wrote:

I respect your thoughts above, I don’t pretend to have the answers :D[/quote]

lol, me neither man.

Though I do have a copy of Nutrition and Physical Degeneration sitting on my bookshelf. I’m gonna get to it after finishing Know Your Fats. It’s a thick-ass book with surprisingly small print, so hopefully I’ll pick up a thing or two along the way.[/quote]

How is “Know Your Fats”? the author is greatly respected and sounds like the book has great info, but is there much in there that is “new” to those of us who aren’t afraid of saturated fats?[/quote]

I enjoyed it. It is written for a lay reader though, Mary Enig admits this herself in the book and points to other more technical sources if one is interested. Definitely a good read though and even though it rehashes some info that you probably already know it can’t hurt to take a look. I highly recommend it even to those without any formal training or education in lipid biochemistry.

There are a lot of studies that suggest that the optimal range may be between 1.6-1.8 grams per kilogram. Here is a good review paper that was published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition by Peter Lemon. Publications & Nutrition Research Papers - Journal of the American Center for Nutrition

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

I respect your thoughts above, I don’t pretend to have the answers :D[/quote]

lol, me neither man.

Though I do have a copy of Nutrition and Physical Degeneration sitting on my bookshelf. I’m gonna get to it after finishing Know Your Fats. It’s a thick-ass book with surprisingly small print, so hopefully I’ll pick up a thing or two along the way.[/quote]

How is “Know Your Fats”? the author is greatly respected and sounds like the book has great info, but is there much in there that is “new” to those of us who aren’t afraid of saturated fats?[/quote]

I enjoyed it. It is written for a lay reader though, Mary Enig admits this herself in the book and points to other more technical sources if one is interested. Definitely a good read though and even though it rehashes some info that you probably already know it can’t hurt to take a look. I highly recommend it even to those without any formal training or education in lipid biochemistry.[/quote]

Agreed. Even if none of the information causes a major paradigm shift in the way you view fats, it’s still got a lot of interesting info in it to be worth a read, IMO.