I have learned many of these lessons thanks to T-Nation. My thanks to all of you.
In no particular order:
- Keep my program simple. Complicated programs with complicated exercises distract me. The basic compound movements work for me.
- Stay tight, breath right, and the heavy weight shall move.
- My time is limited, make every rep count.
- Full body workouts with compound movements not only allow me to hit each muscle group with more frequency, but also improve my form through consistency.
- I can play outside with my five year old son and get in a workout at the same time. Little boys love wheelbarrow rides and watching dad throw heavy objects around in the backyard.
- Proper nutrition is essential for not only making gains in the gym, but also to give me the energy throughout the day that my family and co-workers expect and deserve.
- Vanilla Grow! blended with cottage cheese helps hide the taste and consistency of the cottage cheese. This is my last meal of the day.
- I need to brush my teeth after drinking this combination, and before I kiss my wife, if I want to avoid being told “you smell like cows ass”.
- I cannot lift for vanity because I will never be satisfied with the way I look. Instead I am motivated by power since I feel a high the rest of the day every time I break a personal record.
- I am an inspiration to my son. If I take a shortcut I cheat both of us.
- I do not have to increase my reps or weight every session. Completing the same reps with the same weight is progress if I do it faster, with more confidence, or with less muscle stress (thank you on this one to Disc Hoss)
- At 33 I need more testosterone. Thank you Alpha Male and Biotest.
- I spend more time watching the second hand on the clock in my gym, and less time checking out the women. Consistent, measured rest periods.
- My mind and my body want to grow each day. It is up to me to feed them.
- I still have much to learn.