T Nation

Things I Want to Finally Change

I am 15 turning 16 in about 2 weeks, 130 pounds, around 5’9.

I have been doing track as a physical activity for the last year or so and this year i did distance running, but recently i injured my right ankle area and am stuck doing physical therapy and waiting it out for a couple of weeks.

I am hoping that mabye i have the time to finally work out. I am not gonna lie i am pretty thin looking but, i have a pretty good amount of fat and barely any muscle on my upper body. Its pretty bad and i really want to change it and try to pack on some muscle but not too much fat.

So basically i am looking for a plan that would help me workout my upper body more. One thing which i am sorta looking to improve is my back. I actually am developing a hunch back and i subconsciously lean forward basically just bad posture. SO i am looking to get a stronger back, and well obviously try to get into a beach body shape as an extra : )

I have been looking at a couple of plans actually but i have heard that i am too young to try those. Does anybody have a good plan or some tips to help me out?

Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It’s a great book, from what I hear, for beginners, and you shouldnt even touch weights until you’ve done it. Now I have a question for you. How in the hell does someone start a thread on this site? Ive been a member for over a year and I can’t for the life of me figure it out.

[quote]donovanbrambila wrote:
Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It’s a great book, from what I hear, for beginners, and you shouldnt even touch weights until you’ve done it.

Now I have a question for you. How in the hell does someone start a thread on this site? Ive been a member for over a year and I can’t for the life of me figure it out.[/quote]

ha!

When you go to one of the sections where you want to start a thread, there is an icon that says “post”. Click on that icon to start a thread.

Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It’s a great book, from what I hear, for beginners, and you shouldnt even touch weights until you’ve done it. [/quote]

Atrocious advice.

Thank you. Thank you so very much.

What’s atrocious about that? Should he not have decent strength, form, and understanding of the basic lifts?

What’s atrocious about that? Should he not have decent strength, form, and understanding of the basic lifts?[/quote]

Sure, but not touching weights before finishing the book?

That’s frigging retarded. Unless you expect overall strenght gains from lifting the book+changing the pages?

Read the stickies in the beginners forum.

1- eat
2- lift heavy shit
3- eat
4- sleep
5- repeat until goal is met

That’s not what I meant. I didn’t mean finish reading the book. I meant the program. As in, he shouldnt do anything else until he’s done starting strength and developed a base of strength.

I think we all agree that the op needs to develop a solid foundation, but SS isn’t the only way to do so. Don’t get me wrong, it’s worked well for many folks, myself included, but for a track runner with an ankle injury and posture issues, it may not be the most appropriate track. A 4 day push pull split with an emphasis upper body pulling would probably be much better, and would allow him to work around his injury more easily.

Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It’s a great book, from what I hear … [/quote]

It’s a little silly to be recommending it when you haven’t even read it, don’t you think?

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
donovanbrambila wrote:
Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It’s a great book, from what I hear …

It’s a little silly to be recommending it when you haven’t even read it, don’t you think?

[/quote]

No, I don’t.

I recommend Playboy…great articles…from what I hear.

"I think we all agree that the op needs to develop a solid foundation, but SS isn’t the only way to do so. Don’t get me wrong, it’s worked well for many folks, myself included, but for a track runner with an ankle injury and posture issues, it may not be the most appropriate track.

A 4 day push pull split with an emphasis upper body pulling would probably be much better, and would allow him to work around his injury more easily."

Thats something i was looking for a bit more any sort of examples of a workout that includes that. I saw this article recently and it looked interesting how is this

For Upper Back- http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/building_a_powerful_vshape

[quote]cr1404 wrote:
I recommend Playboy…great articles…from what I hear.[/quote]

I understand your point and appreciate your humor, but it’s not like I just pulled something random out of my ass and said “Run with it kid”. I know what SS is about and I know it goes into great detail to emphasize form of exercises.

I know, from articles on this site and tons of people, even people in this thread, that SS is a great program for beginners. If a newbie wants to put on pounds while fixing posture, I’ll recommend SS.

If someone wants to know what a naked chick looks like, I’ll recommend Playboy, even though I myself have never read it. I still know what it is and what it is about.

Look out guys, we’re dealing with an Article Expert.

Prepare to have your minds blown.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Look out guys, we’re dealing with an Article Expert.

Prepare to have your minds blown.[/quote]

Thanks dropping in. Yeah, clearly I stated that I’m an expert. Pretty much at everything, actually.

I’m not an expert. I don’t pretend to be one, unless I’m playing dress-up or something and the patient needs a diagnosis. But what I do claim to have is reading comprehension.

The kind where if you read an article by Mark Rippetoe who very convincingly states that basic barbell movements and programs, something like…SS!,

Are best for beginners, then I, through this amazing talent and years of harnessing literary energies, am able to comprehend that basic barbell movements and programs best for beginners.

If you would like to actually offer a statement as to why SS is not a good idea for this guy, or even let us know what would be best for him and offer something constructive (though I must admit, I am in awe of your wit)then please do.

But, whether or not I’ve read the entire book or just understand the idea of it and talked to those who have had success with it, says nothing of whether or not SS would be good for this guy. So now, it’s your turn to blow my mind.

Starting Strength is a recipe for lagging bodyparts and stalled out lifts.

SS is not “basic”… a 3 or 4 way split is basic.

SS is MINIMALISTIC.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Starting Strength is a recipe for lagging bodyparts and stalled out lifts.
[/quote]

What? Forgive me, but, this just sounds as retarded as blindly recommending “starting strength.” The only potential “lagging bodypart” might be biceps. It should probably include curls.

What, exactly, are your problems with it? Why do you think it will result in “stalled out lifts”? I’ve seen a few people get much stronger doing it. I can’t imagine their progress being any better. One put 100 lbs on his squat in 2.5 months, going from 240 to 340 (he works at a shipyard, and started off very strong). Another has doubled his strength all around.

Biceps are the only thing you can think of being left out of the program?

What about calves? What about lateral deltoids? If a person is squatting with a wider low-bar technique, there is very little quad work.

You can only get so far just adding weight to a tiny list of specific exercises. Eventually you aren’t going to be able to progress anymore until you strengthen the muscles of those lifts independantly.