Thickness In Midsection

I lack thickness in my midsection. Anyone have advice for me?

Thanks.

Heavy squats and deads. John Davies also had an article on abs.

bump that, and weighted crunches and twists. One of my all time favs is the decline dumbell russian twist in CT’s Ab training for athletes and babe hounds.

Yes, do check out the davies article on abs, it is supposed to be good for adding inches to the midsection

Try the side press. It thickened up my midsection in no time and allowed me lift more overhead as well as conrtibute to squats and deadlifts. If you aren’t familiar, its done like a one arm dumbell (or barbell, way harder) STANDING press overhead except you lean away from the weight to get it up there and straighten your arm. I suggest looking at the weight as press it. hope this makes sense.

There are a couple articles on windmills, bent press, see-saw press, turkish get-ups(by Coach Davies as well as exercises you never tried or finishers) you can also do over head walks, farmers carries and wheelbarrow walks.

Peace

I’ve had this same problem and I’m not really sure where it stems from. Would doing stability exercises widen out the midsection or would it just be a successful way to look like a douchebag and annoy others?

Hey thanks all for the help.

T-Ren… what are “Turkish Get-ups”? Or “see-saw presses”? I couldn’t find any info on those.

Thanks again…

Boobermensch,
search for an article called renegade bodybuilding by Coach Davies. IT has the see-saw press photos in it. As far as the Turkish Getup is concerned, just type it in to yahoo or google.
Good Luck
Will42

Anything that involves the obliques.
Side presses - wider than shoulder width stance with foot placed perpendicular to each other (warrior stance in yoga). Hold DB overhead and lower free arm down to your toes and stand back up.

See-Saw press. take 2 DB hold like you are going to do a shoulder press. raise one DB while initiating a lean to the opposite side you are lifting. Raise Db and bend the other side while lowering the first DB.

Turkish Get-Up
Lay on your back. Hold one DB up. Get-up while keeping arm straight until your in a standing position with DB above your head. Perform as many reps as you can for 1 minute. Repeat with weight in other hand.

I think this is the windmill but I not 100% sure.
Lay on your back and hold 2 10 lbs plates with hand (outstretched to the side).
Raise legs so they form a 90 degree with upper body. lower both legs to one side and then the other.

Hope this helps you get that thickness

Moerte

[quote]Garrett W. wrote:
I’ve had this same problem and I’m not really sure where it stems from. Would doing stability exercises widen out the midsection or would it just be a successful way to look like a douchebag and annoy others?[/quote]

I think gyms should have a private, dark room for these exercises exactly for this reason.

Hey Bo,

The see-saw press is basically an exaggerated standing alternating shoulder press.

The turkish get up can be found in one of the “finisher” articles may also be in one of coach davies articles.

This is more of a shoulder exercise but does impact the midsection. Lay on your back with a dumbbell (or clubbell) extend your arm to the sky then stand keeping your arm straight up, then lay back down. Do 5 - 10 reps then repeat with the other arm.

The windmill is similar to the bent press, only rather than stopping when “bent to the side” you rotate your torso to lower the weight to the floor.

I think Russian twists, and 1 arm dead lifts would be good too.

HTH, Peace,
T-Ren

While I am not sure of the “official” name, a lift that has worked well for me is the suitcase lift or a one-arm deadlift. Set up for a deadlift, but stand beside the bar, grab it in the middle with one-hand, and stand up without letting your body bend to the side. As well as helping your grip it will widen you out fast!