T Nation

Thick Bars and Wrist Injuries

I was talking with one of the trainers at my gym yesterday (he knows his shit, was a college level track athelete), trying to figure out the wieght of a Hampton thick bars at our gym and he said he had stopped using them because he was getting wrist strains from them. I told him I have been having the same problem and he mentioned that he has heard this from a lot of members. He thinks it is because the ring and pinky fingers don't contribute as much to holding the bar overloading the first two fingers.

Just a warning for everyone.

I would think that if your hurting your wrist on a thick bar your either holding it improperly, don’t have must wrist strength or using too much weight and the wrist is your weak link and the first to go…

I’ve used the thick bar about a hundred times with no injuries.

Is thickbar training effective for building forearm and grip strength?

I’m currently using “Heavy Grips” grippers in the 200-300lb range. I’m able to hold do the 300’s for 8 to 10 reps, and hold for about 20 seconds. While I can do about 25 reps with the 250’s and hold for nearly a minute.

I was hoping to find something more effective for building holding grip strenth.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Is thickbar training effective for building forearm and grip strength? [/quote]

i used thick bar holds for time to up my grip strength, and it definitely helped.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
I would think that if your hurting your wrist on a thick bar your either holding it improperly, don’t have must wrist strength or using too much weight and the wrist is your weak link and the first to go…

[/quote]

I weigh 215 and can deadlift 500lbs–I got a pretty good idea what I am doing. Beginners might not have been the place to post. Actually I used thick bars for everything up until this wrist thing. I don’t know how other people are injuring thier wrist, but I tweaked it twice on the down motion after doing a clean. Usually better to drop the bar but at a gym that primarily caters to rehab, it gets to be a little old pretty quick.

Any idea what these weigh. I heard 65lb, but can’t find it anywhere on the net.

I suppose you could just weigh the bar on a scale.

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
B rocK wrote:

I weigh 215 and can deadlift 500lbs–I got a pretty good idea what I am doing. Beginners might not have been the place to post. Actually I used thick bars for everything up until this wrist thing. I don’t know how other people are injuring thier wrist, but I tweaked it twice on the down motion after doing a clean. Usually better to drop the bar but at a gym that primarily caters to rehab, it gets to be a little old pretty quick.

Any idea what these weigh. I heard 65lb, but can’t find it anywhere on the net.[/quote]

That’s fine and all man, your weight and DL numbers don’t really account for much here. And I wasn’t saying you didn’t know what you were talking about.

As far as the weight, use a scale or get the brand name and call the company.