T Nation

Thick Bar Forearm Development

Simple question: Will using a thick bar (Deadlifts for example) build up the entire forearm or predominantly the flexors?

I could add reverse curls to target those extensors but since my forearms are inadvertently trained 4 times a week I’d rather keep the volume to a minimum.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Simple question: Will using a thick bar (Deadlifts for example) build up the entire forearm or predominantly the flexors?

I could add reverse curls to target those extensors but since my forearms are inadvertently trained 4 times a week I’d rather keep the volume to a minimum.

[/quote]

Are you concerned with grip strength or hypertrophy? Both?

Mostly strength but I’m eager to get rid of these twig forearms as well.

Cool.

If you have a thick bar use it…
Only you will at the beginning need to use less weight till you get used to the thickness of the bar. Try to use the thick bar on all pulling or grip exercises…

All see:

simple;

if you want bigger forearms; train them directly; wrist curls and reverse curls… thats all you need.

and dianabol. j/k… :wink:

[quote]ds77 wrote:
simple;

if you want bigger forearms; train them directly; wrist curls and reverse curls… thats all you need. [/quote]

Agreed. I dont know how many times I tweaked my wrist using an extra thick bar. It’s not needed.

CT has a good article in the archives on building the forearms.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
ds77 wrote:
simple;

if you want bigger forearms; train them directly; wrist curls and reverse curls… thats all you need.

Agreed. I dont know how any times I tweaked my wrist using an extra thick bar. It’s not needed.

CT has a good article in the archives on building the forearms.[/quote]

He’s releasing a new one soon

[quote]bmitch wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
ds77 wrote:
simple;

Agreed. I dont know how any times I tweaked my wrist using an extra thick bar. It’s not needed.

CT has a good article in the archives on building the forearms.

He’s releasing a new one soon[/quote]

His first one worked very well for me. I’ll definately give this new one a go.