T Nation

THIB'S TIP: Workout regulation

[quote]GeneticSynergy9 wrote:
Here is a web app I just wrote so we can at least all use the same method. Hopefully that gives a more accurate basis for comparison:

http://jsfiddle.net/duffmaster33/ZwzpJ/1/embedded/result/[/quote]

Ok yeah, got 96 in 10 seconds… something was wrong with my calculator :slight_smile:

A HUGE thanks for the app!!!

With all the heavy lifting in the layering system should you expect a higher rating after a session? I mean thats alot of heavy intense sets

[quote]mmafan wrote:
With all the heavy lifting in the layering system should you expect a higher rating after a session? I mean thats alot of heavy intense sets[/quote]

With the strength-emphasis layer (ramp/clsuter/ramp/cluster/ramp), maybe… but not with the ramp/cluster/HDL layer.

But it still gives you a good baseline to work from… for example if you have

96/165 (pre) and 92/162 (post) one day. And:

96/165 (pre) and 82/154 (post) you know that this session was excessive.

The longer you use the tool, and note (enve graph) the results, the more useful it becomes.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Here is a web app I just wrote so we can at least all use the same method. Hopefully that gives a more accurate basis for comparison:

Ok yeah, got 96 in 10 seconds… something was wrong with my calculator :slight_smile:

A HUGE thanks for the app!!![/quote]

That is really cool.

I got 90 in 10 and 163 in 20

I think it tired me out… ha ha

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

That is really cool.

I think it tired me out… ha ha[/quote]

Actually yeah… I did it 3 times, with about 2 minutes intervals and my results got progressively worse. That’s why you only do it once at a time

[quote]mmafan wrote:
With all the heavy lifting in the layering system should you expect a higher rating after a session? I mean thats alot of heavy intense sets[/quote]

With the strength-emphasis layer (ramp/clsuter/ramp/cluster/ramp), maybe… but not with the ramp/cluster/HDL layer.

The longer you use the tool, and note (enve graph) the results, the more useful it becomes.

[/quote]

It would be great to have a site with a login/username and a way to graph your results right on the site.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

That is really cool.

So sets of 1-4 for you :slight_smile:

Thanks man! I looked for a long time on the web for a web-based app. But really, it’s not about comparing various people, it’s your own daily fluctuations that matter.

Man, I REALLY like what you did!!! Even have the 10 and 20 sec splits… nice!
[/quote]

My pleasure. Glad to help out. I was actually writing an app to help with the layer system in terms of calculating percentages and storing workout info, but that’s a bit more complicated.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]mmafan wrote:

[/quote]

It would be great to have a site with a login/username and a way to graph your results right on the site.[/quote]

I could do this if enough people are interested.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

That is really cool.

So sets of 1-4 for you :)[/quote]

How funny - instinctively I have always done sets in that range. Nice to have corroboration.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]mmafan wrote:

[/quote]

It would be great to have a site with a login/username and a way to graph your results right on the site.[/quote]

I could do this if enough people are interested.[/quote]

If you build it, they will come…

@CT, I’ve always worked out so until I feel tired due to my competetive background in various sports. Does it mean I’ve been working out too much in regards of CNS? I usually feel completly caput for about 2h after training, evenif I eat properly.
Also, what kind of training do you recommend for CNS demanding weeks like “project deadline” where CNS (brain) needs to function optimally? thanks

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

That is really cool.

So sets of 1-4 for you :)[/quote]

Just tried it post workout and got exactly the same - how weird is that…?

90/163

Awesome app! Where do I send my money?

Just sitting in my office on a “break” (hey, I’m a professional so I don’t have to clock in and out):

10 seconds: 73
20 seconds: 136

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

That is really cool.

the
Actually yeah… I did it 3 times, with about 2 minutes intervals and my results got progressively worse. That’s why you only do it once at a time[/quote]

progressively worse? sounds like a compatetive old saying.
the harder you try, the worse you get.
performance is a parabola
little effort, little results
optimum effort, optimum results
overdo it, results drop

This is very cool, CT, do you want to take the Post-Training test immediately after training or does that even matter?

I would imagine performing the test at similar times pre/post on training days would be better for comparison for each day. Or maybe that doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, just curious.

[quote]Eazy wrote:
This is very cool, CT, do you want to take the Post-Training test immediately after training or does that even matter?

I would imagine performing the test at similar times pre/post on training days would be better for comparison for each day. Or maybe that doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, just curious.[/quote]

The “post” measure should be taken less than 5 minutes after the conclusion of the workout.

These measures become more and more effective the longer your record them, especially if you also note your workout performance on a scale from 1 to 10. Then you will be able to see:

1. Under which condition did you do your best (sometimes a VERY high activation level is not better)

2. Which condition led to a decrease in performance the next day (e.g. big drop between the preceding day’s post and pre)

3. When you should take an easy day

It’s all abotu your own individual patterns, not your actual score

Thanks for this,will come in handy for sure.

Hey CT did you see my question 5 posts up?

[quote]NikH wrote:
@CT, I’ve always worked out so until I feel tired due to my competetive background in various sports. Does it mean I’ve been working out too much in regards of CNS? I usually feel completly caput for about 2h after training, evenif I eat properly.
Also, what kind of training do you recommend for CNS demanding weeks like “project deadline” where CNS (brain) needs to function optimally? thanks[/quote]

I see this a lot with athletes and former athletes. I had to send athletes home several times mid-workout because they were showing signs of neural drain. The workout is NOT a competition, the workout is a tool to make you stronger and in better physical condition to perform better… if fatigue masks fitness you will never be able to perform at your best, and your workouts themselves will start to suffer.

I’ll give you an example. I teach/coach olympic lifting with several crossfit athletes, many of whom are currently competing in the crossfit open (to qualify for the games).

One of them I only coach in olympic lifting, the other I also do her whole training plan.

The first one has A LOT more potential, a true genetic freak. Early in the season she won many big competitions. But now she is completetly run down because she is training too much and too hard and as a result she is ranked in the 30-40 in Canada East while many beleived she would be top 5.

The second one, I’m planning an approach that leaves her CNS fresh so that she can showcase her best performances… as a result she is in the top 10 .

It’s a lot easier to halt progress by overtraining than it is by undertraining.