THIB'S TIP: The 3 Key Intensity Zones

[quote]deshawn wrote:
How could you incorporate this in terms of strongman training with out burning out? [/quote]

I’m actually using it with a young strongman of amazing potential…

DAY 1

1. Power clean & push press to 1RM
  2. Clean pull, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Deadlift start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Log clean & press 6 x 3

DAY 2

1. Front squat ramp to 1RM
  2. Back squat, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Back squat from pins just above sticking point start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Farmer`s walk (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 1RM
  2. Snatch-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Clean-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Tire flips 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Power clean & push press (1+3) ramp to 3RM
  2. Power clean & push press (1+3) 4 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Power clean & push press (3+1) 4 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  4. Atlas stone practice (10 minutes)

DAY 5

1. Back squat ramp to 3RM
  2. Back squat 6 sets of 3 with 90% of no.1
  3. Deadlift 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps
  4. Yoke (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 3RM
  2. Snatch-grip high pulls, 6 sets of 3 reps with 90% of no.1
  3. RDL 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps

DAY 7

1. Regular bench press ramp to 6RM
  2. Regular bench bench 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
  3. Floor press 4 sets of 6 with 80% of no.1
  4. Viking press (or landmide press) 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Power clean ramp to 6RM
  2. Power clean complex 1 (2 power clean, 2 push press, 2 front squats) 4 sets with 90% of 6RM
  3. Power clean complex 2 (3 power clean + 3 front squat + 3 RDL) 3 sets with 90%
  4. Tire flips max distance in 2 minutes

DAY 9

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 6RM
  2. Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1

DAY 10
1 set of each:

• Log clean & press (either go for max weight or try for a max rep set with a fixed load)
  • Farmer’s walk as heavy as possible for 30m
  • Tire flips max in 2 minutes
  • Atlas stones

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10

If your recovery is poor you can extend the cycle by adding 1 more rest days after day 2

@CT: I’m loving this! What 3 exercises would you recommend as the base of a system like this if The “Power Look,” was your primary goal? Thank you, thank you, thank you CT!!! (I have a dead-squat bar too)

Thanks coach. Could one swtich out the bench press to comcentrate on the OH aspect.

[quote]deshawn wrote:
Thanks coach. Could one swtich out the bench press to comcentrate on the OH aspect.[/quote]

There’s already enough overhead work as it is, you don’t want movement-specific fatigue and you also need the overall strength-building effect of the bench.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@CT: I’m loving this! What 3 exercises would you recommend as the base of a system like this if The “Power Look,” was your primary goal? Thank you, thank you, thank you CT!!! (I have a dead-squat bar too) [/quote]

As the 3 main movements: bench, clean & press, snatch high pull
As 3 secondary movements: floor press, front squat, deadlift

CT,this is to much haha.I can’t keep up when you start spilling the goods like this,loving it.

@CT: Awesome…thank you, thank you, thank you!

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@CT: I’m loving this! What 3 exercises would you recommend as the base of a system like this if The “Power Look,” was your primary goal? Thank you, thank you, thank you CT!!! (I have a dead-squat bar too) [/quote]

As the 3 main movements: bench, clean & press, snatch high pull
As 3 secondary movements: floor press, front squat, deadlift[/quote]

Is there something i could use instead of the clean?
I haven’t been able to do cleans with any sort of weight. tears up my elbows in the catch.

and anything to replace prowler?

[quote]PaddyD wrote:
CT, How would one set this for for emphasis on the Squat?[/quote]

This should also answer the question preceding yours…

DAY 1

1. Slight decline bench press ramp to 1RM
  2. Slight decline bench press from pins just above sticking point, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Slight decline bench press lockout (from pins, last 2-3"), start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Slight decline speed bench 6 x 3 with 50% of no.1

DAY 2

3. Back squat from pins just above sticking point start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Power clean 6 sets of 2 reps
  5. Prowler heavy pushes (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

4. Romanian deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Slight decline bench pres ramp to 3RM
  2. Slight decline bench pres 8 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Slight decline close-grip bench from pins (just above sticking point) 4 sets of 3 with 80% of no.1
  4. DB shoulder press 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 5

1. Back squat ramp to 3RN
  4. Prowler sprints (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

DAY 7

1. Regula bench press ramp to 6RM
  4. Rope triceps extension 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate) ramp to 6RM
  2. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate)4 sets of 6 with 90% of 6RM
  3. Power clean complex (3 power clean + 3 front squat + 3 RDL) 3 sets
  4. Prowler for distance (moderate weight and speed) max distance in 10 minutes

DAY 9

2, Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1

DAY 10
Max out on squat and bench

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10 [/quote]

in regards to the bench, if it doesnt say “from pins”, is it full rom?

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]PaddyD wrote:
CT, How would one set this for for emphasis on the Squat?[/quote]

This should also answer the question preceding yours…

DAY 1

1. Slight decline bench press ramp to 1RM
  2. Slight decline bench press from pins just above sticking point, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Slight decline bench press lockout (from pins, last 2-3"), start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Slight decline speed bench 6 x 3 with 50% of no.1

DAY 2

4. Power clean 6 sets of 2 reps
  5. Prowler heavy pushes (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

4. Romanian deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Slight decline bench pres ramp to 3RM
  2. Slight decline bench pres 8 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Slight decline close-grip bench from pins (just above sticking point) 4 sets of 3 with 80% of no.1
  4. DB shoulder press 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 5

1. Back squat ramp to 3RN
  4. Prowler sprints (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

DAY 7

1. Regula bench press ramp to 6RM
  4. Rope triceps extension 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate) ramp to 6RM
  2. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate)4 sets of 6 with 90% of 6RM
  3. Power clean complex (3 power clean + 3 front squat + 3 RDL) 3 sets
  4. Prowler for distance (moderate weight and speed) max distance in 10 minutes

DAY 9

2, Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1

DAY 10
Max out on squat and bench

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10 [/quote]

in regards to the bench, if it doesnt say “from pins”, is it full rom?
[/quote]

Yes

CT thank you for your answer and time. I have seen some outstanding results using the layer system, yesterday two people who I see at the gym regularly told me I looked noticeably leaner, and my strength increases have been great also.

CT: Why has your stance on high rep SGHP’s changed? Not too long ago you mentioned that you didn’t like to go above 5 because of the metabolic demand and also that your performance and strength increases suffered on this exercise because of trying to go too high in reps.

[quote]Jamesliftsheavy wrote:
CT: Why has your stance on high rep SGHP’s changed? Not too long ago you mentioned that you didn’t like to go above 5 because of the metabolic demand and also that your performance and strength increases suffered on this exercise because of trying to go too high in reps. [/quote]

5 or 6 is the same thing in my book. 1-2 is one zone, 3-4 is another zone, 5-6 is a third zone. So reallym there is no real difference between 5 or 6 reps per set. I sometimes terminate the set at 5 if I feel that performance will suffer.

I did not change my stance… the high reps I’m talking about was the 5-4-3-2-1 HDL and max reps HDL which had 12-15 reps per set. THAT was hurting performance.

Christian what is your stance on this new form of layering? How do you feel it stacks up to the other? I’m having a blast alternating between a str layer and hdl layer monthly and seeing great results but if you think this is going to work better I’m all for switching it up

Christian what is your stance on this new form of layering? How do you feel it stacks up to the other? I’m having a blast alternating between a str layer and hdl layer monthly and seeing great results but if you think this is going to work better I’m all for switching it up[/quote]

The “layer system” really is all about conjugating various training types during a workout/series of days/training cycle.

The goal is to create an optimal physiological response. There is not one universal best layer application as it depends on your training history and status. But they will all work very well regardless of your choice. I personally prefer the later version since it suits my taste in training more.

Why does this new version suit your tastes more?

Hi Christian,

I want to use the new layer template presented here for training the back squat but I don’t want to do all those prowler pushes…is there something I can sub for this work?

Second question…on the off days can I throw in deadstop rowing or arms? Calves even?

Hi Christian,

I want to use the new layer template presented here for training the back squat but I don’t want to do all those prowler pushes…is there something I can sub for this work?

Second question…on the off days can I throw in deadstop rowing or arms? Calves even?[/quote]

Honestly, just skil the prowler pushes, do not add anything. The template you are talking about is based on Tunya’s powerlifting prep, since she is already doign a lot of prowler, I kept that in.

As for dead-start rows. If you want to do them, do them at the end of a workout where pulling is being trained (e.g. deadlift or high pull day). As for calves work, I’ve never done a single set of calves work in my life and of all the 80+ people I’ve trained, I might have had 3 people do some calves work. So I’m certainly not one who will tell you to do it!

From experience you have 2 types of people when it comes to calves:

1. Those who naturally have them and do not need to train them
  2. Those who have bad genetic for calves and who cannot make them grow regardless of what they do for them

So really… why do calves work :slight_smile:

Very Very true sir. Thanks for the reply

These workouts are much shorter than the previous form of layer…is this in relation to your post today about 35-45min workouts?

@CT: Big thank you for this form of layering approach…I just started it this week & love it! It’s easier to recover from too based on my HRV readiness score, plus I can focus on the movements for the “Power Look,” more frequently which I like. I’m loving all the explosive movements & what they’re doing to my physique too! AWESOME JOB! I look forward to see what else evolves from this.