T Nation

THIB'S TIP: The 3 Key Intensity Zones

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Thib,

What are some example rep ranges you’d use for these intensity zones?

what are some example rep ranges for these intensity zones?

95-100% of 1rm: 3-9 singles, 90-95% of 3rm: 8x3, 80-85% of 6rm: 4x6?

do as many of the prescribed sets as possible until form breaks down?[/quote]

I define the RM zones as the base level of intensity. For example, working up to a 3RM (to establish your capacities on that day) then doing 8 sets of 6 reps with 90% of the 3RM would be an example.[/quote]

This is a body building forum, right? Does that mean you intend for this approach to be used on a 5 or 6 day split?

These rep ranges sound like they would mostly be in the functional strength range? What if I want to do a 4 day/week upper/lower split because I’m an athlete, but I still want to look jacked. Would that be overkill? Because there are 3 intensity zones and I’d only be training 2 upper and 2 lower days a week does that mean I would have to periodize my training approach or is it acceptable to train more than 1 intensity zone in a day?[/quote]

(1) It is not a bodybuilding forum. The best way to describe my training is “built for bad”… developping the power look while becoming strong, lean and powerful.

(2) I use a 9-10 days training cycle. Each day the focus is on one main lift and each lift is done 3 times per 9-10 days cycle.

(3) The exercises that I’m using with this approach (I haven’t explained the full approach I am still testing it on a few very strong guys) are “performance lifts”… power clean & push press, snatch-grip high pulls, power snatches, squats, bench press, deadlift (not all are main exercises but they are all being used in the program) and power work is also done. So it is a very solid approach to build a strong athlete.

CT–your example of working up to one’s 3 RM max for the day and then using that max do 8 sets of 6 reps with 90 percent of that max seems like a lot of volume. What effect of doing that have on CNS fatigue?

Thib,

What are some example rep ranges you’d use for these intensity zones?

what are some example rep ranges for these intensity zones?

95-100% of 1rm: 3-9 singles, 90-95% of 3rm: 8x3, 80-85% of 6rm: 4x6?

do as many of the prescribed sets as possible until form breaks down?[/quote]

I define the RM zones as the base level of intensity. For example, working up to a 3RM (to establish your capacities on that day) then doing 8 sets of 6 reps with 90% of the 3RM would be an example.[/quote]

This is a body building forum, right? Does that mean you intend for this approach to be used on a 5 or 6 day split?

These rep ranges sound like they would mostly be in the functional strength range? What if I want to do a 4 day/week upper/lower split because I’m an athlete, but I still want to look jacked. Would that be overkill? Because there are 3 intensity zones and I’d only be training 2 upper and 2 lower days a week does that mean I would have to periodize my training approach or is it acceptable to train more than 1 intensity zone in a day?[/quote]

(1) It is not a bodybuilding forum. The best way to describe my training is “built for bad”… developping the power look while becoming strong, lean and powerful.

(2) I use a 9-10 days training cycle. Each day the focus is on one main lift and each lift is done 3 times per 9-10 days cycle.

(3) The exercises that I’m using with this approach (I haven’t explained the full approach I am still testing it on a few very strong guys) are “performance lifts”… power clean & push press, snatch-grip high pulls, power snatches, squats, bench press, deadlift (not all are main exercises but they are all being used in the program) and power work is also done. So it is a very solid approach to build a strong athlete.[/quote]

sounds like this approach is a little more advanced than I need.

[quote]germanicus wrote:
CT–your example of working up to one’s 3 RM max for the day and then using that max do 8 sets of 6 reps with 90 percent of that max seems like a lot of volume. What effect of doing that have on CNS fatigue?[/quote]

You misread that… work up to a 3RM then do 8 sets of 3 with 90% of your 3RM

EDIT: Sorry, it was my mistake

CT, I thought it might be 8 sets of 3 but, if you check my Indigo log for today’s workout, you’ll see that I managed to get 8 sets of 6 reps with 90 percent of my 3 RM max on the snatch grip high pulls from blocks–benches.

I did notice that on the last couple of sets the form was starting to breakdown–the bar drifting a couple of inches from my body on the last couple of reps. Dropping to three reps would greatly eliminate this as on the ramp and most reps of the 8 sets the bar path was where it should be.

[quote]germanicus wrote:
CT–your example of working up to one’s 3 RM max for the day and then using that max do 8 sets of 6 reps with 90 percent of that max seems like a lot of volume. What effect of doing that have on CNS fatigue?[/quote]

You misread that… work up to a 3RM then do 8 sets of 3 with 90% of your 3RM

EDIT: Sorry, it was my mistake[/quote]
looks like the clusters and hdl have mated and are making babies.
what’s the name? hdcl?oops. sorry., it’s “zone” and since they had triplets, its zone1, 2, and 3.

[quote]germanicus wrote:
CT, I thought it might be 8 sets of 3 but, if you check my Indigo log for today’s workout, you’ll see that I managed to get 8 sets of 6 reps with 90 percent of my 3 RM max on the snatch grip high pulls from blocks–benches.

I did notice that on the last couple of sets the form was starting to breakdown–the bar drifting a couple of inches from my body on the last couple of reps. Dropping to three reps would greatly eliminate this as on the ramp and most reps of the 8 sets the bar path was where it should be. [/quote]

Especially since it’s part of a cycle and the 3RM days are supposed to be less stressful on the body to recover from the previous mini-cycle and peak for the following… see the Layer fro powerlifting for an example… specific to powerlifting, but you get the idea.

CT if you wanted to use this method for a 4 week cycle for relative strength how would you program the cycle ??!!

[quote]ortega wrote:
CT if you wanted to use this method for a 4 week cycle for relative strength how would you program the cycle ??!! [/quote]

Go read the layering for powerlifting thread… I posted a 10 days cycle to perform 3 times.

You can change the main lifts if you want as it is geared mostly for a push-pull powerlifting meet. For example you can use bench, snatch/snatch high pull, clean & push press as another option

[quote]ortega wrote:
CT if you wanted to use this method for a 4 week cycle for relative strength how would you program the cycle ??!! [/quote]

Go read the layering for powerlifting thread… I posted a 10 days cycle to perform 3 times.

You can change the main lifts if you want as it is geared mostly for a push-pull powerlifting meet. For example you can use bench, snatch/snatch high pull, clean & push press as another option[/quote]

After going to the Powerlifting thread and reading that 10 day cycle, how would you do the strength layering for a clean and press? You have the bench press and deadlift going from the pins at increasing heights and for the highpulls you have the different pulling layers. How could this be implemented for the clean and press?

I’m interested in trying this but with low-incline bench from the pins, SGHP and clean and press but I’d like to make sure I’m doing it right.

[quote]GingaNinja wrote:

[quote]ortega wrote:

You can change the main lifts if you want as it is geared mostly for a push-pull powerlifting meet. For example you can use bench, snatch/snatch high pull, clean & push press as another option[/quote]

After going to the Powerlifting thread and reading that 10 day cycle, how would you do the strength layering for a clean and press? You have the bench press and deadlift going from the pins at increasing heights and for the highpulls you have the different pulling layers. How could this be implemented for the clean and press?

I’m interested in trying this but with low-incline bench from the pins, SGHP and clean and press but I’d like to make sure I’m doing it right.[/quote]

FIRST C&P DAY/DAY 2 (clean & press instead of deadlift)

1. Clean & push press ramp up to 1RM
  2. Clean pull start at 70% of max no.1 and work up to a 1RM
  3. Deadlift start at 70% of max no.2 and work up to a 1RM

SECOND C&P DAY/DAY 5

1. Clean & push press (1 clean + 3 presses) work up to 3RM
  2. Clean & push press (1 clean + 3 presses) 4 sets of 1+3 with 90% of no.1
  3. Clean & push press (3 cleans + 1 press) 4 sets of 3+1 with 90% of no.1
  4. Front squat 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps

THIRD C&P DAY/DAY 8

1. Clean complex 1 (3 cleans + 3 push press + 3 front squat) 4 sets with 70-80% of the max no.1 on the preceding day

2. Clean complex 2 (3 cleans + 3 front squats + 3 Romanian deadlift) 4 sets with the same weight as no.1

3. Back squat 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps

Thank you CT!! That looks great! Can’t wait to give it a try.

It’s been interesting to see the evolution on the Layer System over the past few weeks and months.

Concerning the C&P days, if there is a big discrepancy between the Push Press and the Clean/Power Clean, I suppose we would stick to the limiting factor?

Also can we replace the Push Press with a Split Jerk, if we can perform the safely? Or does this not lend itself well to the complexes?

[quote]Anechoic wrote:
It’s been interesting to see the evolution on the Layer System over the past few weeks and months.

Concerning the C&P days, if there is a big discrepancy between the Push Press and the Clean/Power Clean, I suppose we would stick to the limiting factor?

Also can we replace the Push Press with a Split Jerk, if we can perform the safely? Or does this not lend itself well to the complexes?[/quote]

It’s really a clean and an overhead… I mentionned power clean and push press because these lifts are easier for most people than a split jerk and full squat clean

CT, thanks again for these great ideas.

Would the following snatch days work?

FIRST SNATCH DAY:

1. Snatch ramp up to 1RM
  2. SGHP start at 70% of max no.1 and work up to a 1RM
  3. SGLP start at 70% of max no.2 and work up to a 1RM
  4. SG Deadlift start at 70% of max no.3 and work up to a 1RM

SECOND SNATCH DAY:

1. Snatch complex (3 power snatches + 3 overhead squats + 3 snatch grip push press) 4 sets with 70-80% of the max no.1 on the previous snatch day.

I just started doing this complex that I learned from Wil Fleming. Sadly, I need the overhead squats and push presses to strengthen my receiving position.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
CT, thanks again for these great ideas.

Would the following snatch days work?

FIRST SNATCH DAY:

1. Snatch ramp up to 1RM
  2. SGHP start at 70% of max no.1 and work up to a 1RM
  3. SGLP start at 70% of max no.2 and work up to a 1RM
  4. SG Deadlift start at 70% of max no.3 and work up to a 1RM

SECOND SNATCH DAY:

1. Snatch complex (3 power snatches + 3 overhead squats + 3 snatch grip push press) 4 sets with 70-80% of the max no.1 on the previous snatch day.

I just started doing this complex that I learned from Wil Fleming. Sadly, I need the overhead squats and push presses to strengthen my receiving position.
[/quote]

Yes, that looks very good

Hey CT,

How would you set up the movements with squat or trap bar deadlift?

Thanks!

CT, How would one set this for for emphasis on the Squat?

[quote]PaddyD wrote:
CT, How would one set this for for emphasis on the Squat?[/quote]

This should also answer the question preceding yours…

DAY 1

1. Slight decline bench press ramp to 1RM
  2. Slight decline bench press from pins just above sticking point, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Slight decline bench press lockout (from pins, last 2-3"), start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Slight decline speed bench 6 x 3 with 50% of no.1

DAY 2

1. Front squat ramp to 1RM
  2. Back squat, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Back squat from pins just above sticking point start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Power clean 6 sets of 2 reps
  5. Prowler heavy pushes (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 1RM
  2. Snatch-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Clean-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Romanian deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Slight decline bench pres ramp to 3RM
  2. Slight decline bench pres 8 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Slight decline close-grip bench from pins (just above sticking point) 4 sets of 3 with 80% of no.1
  4. DB shoulder press 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 5

1. Back squat ramp to 3RN
  2. Back squat 6 sets of 3 with 90% of no.1
  3. Deadlift 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps
  4. Prowler sprints (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 3RM
  2. Snatch-grip high pulls, 6 sets of 3 reps with 90% of no.1
  3. RDL 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps

DAY 7

1. Regula bench press ramp to 6RM
  2. Regular bench bench 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
  3. Floor press 4 sets of 6 with 80% of no.1
  4. Rope triceps extension 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate) ramp to 6RM
  2. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate)4 sets of 6 with 90% of 6RM
  3. Power clean complex (3 power clean + 3 front squat + 3 RDL) 3 sets
  4. Prowler for distance (moderate weight and speed) max distance in 10 minutes

DAY 9

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 6RM
    2, Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1

DAY 10
Max out on squat and bench

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10

How could you incorporate this in terms of strongman training with out burning out?