Thib's Random Thought of the Day

[quote]Brian Smith wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
JANUARY 9TH

The FT does so by putting the muscle tissue under a large strain due to the ‘whipping’ effect of rapidly switching from eccentric to concentric. The DEADSTOP does so by forcing the muscle tissue to do the whole job (taking out the stretch reflex) thus having to contract harder.

Ironically both methods are exacts opposite, but they still create an overload of the same point […]

I FORGOT TO MENTION THIS … VERY IMPORTANT… when using these methods “deadstop” does refer to paused reps, not lifts from pins[/quote]

CT,

Sorry I’m not getting something.

You suggested a pause of 2-3 seconds … are we contracting the muscle isometically, or relaxing it? And does only 2-3 seconds totally dissipate the stretch-shortening reflex?

Thanks, and I like this random thought thread,

Brian[/quote]

Normally, and this is my mistake for the confusion… DEADSTOP = starting the bar from pins, resetting on every repetition. PAUSED REPS (which is what I meant to say in this thread about load vs. resistance) you stay tensed, holding the weight in the starting position for 2-3 seconds before pushing it.

JANUARY 13TH

DESCENDING-ASCENDING CONTRAST RATCHETS

This method utilize what is called ‘dynamic pre-activation’. In other words you are first performing an explosive set to prime the nervous system, then you move on to a heavy set.

This has a double activation effect as both explosive and heavy work do potentiate the nervous system. The cool thing is that dynamic work, when properly done (correct load, maximum effort) activates the CNS just as much as near-maximal work, but without causing much (if any) muscular, metabolic or neural fatigue. Thus you get a greater performance boost.

The kicker with DAC training is that over the sets, the load used for the explosive work DECREASES while the load used for the heavy work INCREASES. Decreasing the load used during the explosive work reduces fatigue even more, leaving more in the tank for the heavy work, while still furthering neural activation.

Plus, it helps prevent the ‘learning to be slower’ phenomenon: when using heavier weights, there will always be a decrease in lifting speed… it’s not always noticeable, but it’s there, and it affects motor recruitment pattern. By doing your speed work FASTER AND FASTER from one ratchet to the next you can compensate for the potential decrease in speed that occurs as you increase the weight for your heavy sets.

To properly perform a DAC workout:

• Each ratchet is a combination of two sets. One Max Power Set and one Max Force or Max Load Set
  • The starting point for the first ratchet is around 60% for 3 reps of the MPS and 80% for 3 reps for the MFS
  • At each ratchet the MPS’ load is decreased while the MFS is increased.
  • There is between 60 and 90 seconds between each sets
  • You add ratchets until you reach the maximum amount of weight you can lift without having a sticking point in the MFS-MLS

For example (assuming a 425lbs bench press)

Set 1.1 255lbs x 3
Set 1.2 340lbs x 3
Set 2.1 245lbs x 3
Set 2.2 360lbs x 3
Set 3.1 235lbs x 3
Set 3.2 370lbs x 3
Set 4.1* 225lbs x 3
Set 4.2* 380lbs x 3

Another example, assuming a 225lbs bench press

Set 1.1 135lbs x 3
Set 1.2 185lbs x 3
Set 2.1 130lbs x 3
Set 2.2 195lbs x 3
Set 3.1 125lbs x 3
Set 3.2 205lbs x 3
Set 4.1* 120lbs x 3
Set 4.2* 215lbs x 3

*Only if you can do 3 reps with that weight without grinding… you can perform only 1-2 reps on the 4.2 set if you feel like the 3rd one will not be solid.

Thibs,

I love all the information you’ve been giving out! I implemented the grip progression (2 finger to 3 fingers to full grip to alternate) and I have never felt so sore in my forearm. I also did the fp/deadstop in my deadlift workout, can’t wait to see how it all stacks up. I just wanted to thank you for answering and helping out so much over the years.

–Mond

I assume it will be OK to have different rep numbers in those ratchets, for example 2 or 3 for the power sets and 5 for the force/load sets, or it would not be so optimum?

Assuming we have 3-4 exercises per workout, would it be overkill to use rachets for all the exercises, or should we just use them for the heaviest (compound) movement of our workout?

[quote]tolismann wrote:
Assuming we have 3-4 exercises per workout, would it be overkill to use rachets for all the exercises, or should we just use them for the heaviest (compound) movement of our workout?[/quote]

It depends on your workout set-up… for example you could do the DAC for all exercises if they are for different muscle groups. But I would only use the method for one exercise per muscle group.

[quote]BRaWNy wrote:
I assume it will be OK to have different rep numbers in those ratchets, for example 2 or 3 for the power sets and 5 for the force/load sets, or it would not be so optimum?[/quote]

As long as…

• the power sets are kept very explosive and not fatiguing
  • the force/load sets are kept at or under 6 reps

You’ll be fine.

Above 6 reps, activation doesn’t improve performance as much. It wouldn’t be a waste, but not optimally effective either. But I often use dynamic pre-activation for 3 reps then do a stimulation exercise for 5 reps.

Very interesting stuff Thib. If someone has been doing typical ramping can the DAC just be thrown in there?

For example today I plan on doing
5x200
5x220
5x240
5x265
4x295 (this would be a PR)

Even though it has not been planned would it improve my strength to do something like

5x200
5x220
3x185
5x240
3x175
5x265
3x165
4x295 ?

Also as an aside, would this be helpful for weaker individuals? I work with a few weaker kids sometimes and I’m wondering if this would even help. For instance my “training partner” today is relatively new and will probably work up to repping 185 today. We follow the same ramping ratios so we have him set to do something like 125, 135, 150, 165, 185. Should he just stay at something like that for awhile or would he see a benefit from say 125, 135, 115, 150, 105, 165, 95, 185?

Thanks!

CT,

Could DAC be used every week or would that lead to overtraining? Would it be better to use regular ramping most of the time and throw in DAC once every 3-4 weeks or so? I used DAC for the bench press and military press today and had a great session. Thanks!

[quote]nycsfinest wrote:
CT,

Could DAC be used every week or would that lead to overtraining? Would it be better to use regular ramping most of the time and throw in DAC once every 3-4 weeks or so? I used DAC for the bench press and military press today and had a great session. Thanks! [/quote]

Actually, from experience, DAC seems to be less draining than regular ramping.

JANUARY 12TH

THE CORNERSTONES OF ALL GOOD STRENGTH ATHLETES

What makes a strongman? Powerful legs? Hydraulic lift arms? Shoulders of steel? Armor-like pecs?

None of these, although they are all important.

If you look at all strongmen from the past and the current strength athletes (powerlifters, olympic lifters, strongman competitors, throwers, Highland games athletes) they all have two things in common: lower back and hands strength.

Some might be known for their strong legs, others for their humongeous pressing power and some more for their pulling prowesses. But they all have strong hands and an iron-like lower back.

I do not know of one ‘big lift’ that cannot be SIGNIFICANTLY improved by jacking up your hand and lower back strength.

Even pressing exercises like the bench press will be made more powerful if you gain hand and forearm strength. Don’t forget that in ANY movement where you are holding the weight, your hands are what is transferring force to the barbell; enabling your to lift it.

There is no way around it… weak hands = weak lift.

I’m not saying that if your hands, forearms and wrists are weak you can’t have big lifts. But I AM saying that if those are weak, then you will never be as strong as you could be.

It’s obvious that stronger hands and forearms will improve performance in the deadlift, curls, pulls, and Olympic lifting movements. But their impact on pressing is often underestimated. Stronger hands, thicker wrists and forearms provide a more solid base when holding the bar. That’s why powerlifters often wear wrist wraps when bench pressing.

Weak hands, wrists and forearms lead to more wrist strain and more energy loss when pressing. It also makes the bar feel heavier. Don’t believe me? Load the bar with close to your max and try to bench press it while keeping your hands and forearms as relaxed as possible: the bar will feel like it weighs a ton! Squeeze the bar as hard as possible and it’ll feel 50 pounds lighter. Having the bar feel lighter is a psychological advantage that you shouldn’t sneeze at when attempting a maximum lift.

The same actually holds true for a squat… put the bar on your back. Hold it, keeping your hands as soft as possible. Then squat…

Do the same, while gripping the bar as hard as you can… bingo feels much more solid and lighter!

And I’m not even talking about the lower back!!! The backbone of most major strength lifts like the deadlift, squat, front squat, power clean, power snatch. No lower back = you having the strength of a small woman!!!

The lower back also plays a role in every single exercise performed standing.

I’m telling you; if your strength and size gains have been stuck for a while DO A SPEC PHASE FOR THE LOWER BACK AND HANDS!!! I guarantee that shortly after your weight will get moving up again and your strength will skyrocket.

[/quote]

How do you feel about using thick bars for increasing hand strength?

I love this thread!

JANUARY 14TH

TRAINING FOR STRENGTH-ENDURANCE

A lot of sports rely on the capacity not only to produce a high level of force, but to maintain that level of force production for a relatively long period of time.

Sports like basketball, hockey, MMA, boxing even football (short rest between bouts of high intensity work) all require that the participant has a high level of strength-endurance.

Traditionally this capacity is trained using higher rep sets with relatively short rest intervals. This is a mistake because it neglects one important portion of the strength-endurance capacity: STRENGTH!

Yes, endurance, or more importantly the capacity to repeat an intense effort repeatedly or for a long period of time, is important. But strength is actually the key component.

Let’s take an extreme example… let’s say that our muscles have to produce 200lbs of force in a pressing movement for 2 minutes. Well, if you can’t even produce that 200lbs of force ONCE, there is no way that you will maintain it for 2 minutes!!!

The approach I prefer is to use a circuit of 3-5 basic movements, performed for sets of 2-3 reps with your max force weight (around 75-85% depending on your level). Go from one exercise to the next with as little rest as humanly possible. Obviously the exercises should hit different structures or motor patterns. For this approach I like either a whole body approach or maybe an antagonist one.

For example:

WHOLE BODY A
A. Front squat
B. Push press
C. RDL
D. Chin-up

WHOLE B
A. Power clean
B. Bench press
C. Back squat
D. Barbell row

You perform 2-3 reps per set with 75-85% of your maximum, resting as little as possible (shoot for 15-20 sec. between exercises) and stop AN EXERCISE when you are no longer dominating the weight. For example, it is possible that your push press gets dropped because you are no longer explosive, but that the other 3 exercises are still good. You simply keep rotating through the remaining 3 and eliminate the movements one by one as you stop being dominant on each one.

1 Like

HOOK GRIP

Would someone please post some step by step pics of establishing a hook grip? What I call a hook grip is where the fingers wrap over the thumb, which essentially is using the thumb somewhat like a lifting strap. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but it feels like my thumb is going to pop out of it’s socket and therefore very uncomfortable, so I’ve never employed to any extent.

This thread should be called Thib’s principles a la “Weider Principles” back in the 80s.

Coach,

When I was a teenager (almost can’t remember that time…) I competed in diffrent kinds of martial arts competitions (kick-boxing, karate, muai thai). Our coach let us do circuits like:

A1) Squats
A2) Push Presses
A3) Deadlift
A4) Shatch Grip High Pulls
A5) Chins

The exercises were performed with little to no rest. He advised us to to each exercise for 15 seconds, with no specific number of reps set. We usually did 4-5 reps per exercise, stopped after 15 seconds (which was propably 2 reps short off failure) and then moved to the next one.

After one such cycles we paused 2-3 minutes and did 6-10 such cycles in total.

What do you think of this approach? Is it compatible with what you just wrote?

Cheers,
Para

ParagonA,

That sounds like a Tabata Barbell complex.

I done something similar but used descending reps…start with 10 reps down to 1 rep with no rest.

JANUARY 10TH

GRIP TYPE 1: Two-fingers (pronated)
GRIP TYPE 2: Three-fingers (pronated)
GRIP TYPE 3: Full grip (pronated)
GRIP TYPE 4: Hook grip (olympic lifting grip)
GRIP TYPE 5: Alternating grip
[/quote]

LOVING this thread so much!

when you talk about 2 and 3 finger grip, where are the other fingers in relation to the barbell? do you just not use them and lift them up off the bar? or are they on the opposite “top” side of the bar, the “working” fingers being on bottom? and which two fingers do you start with? index and middle? or pinkey and ring fingers?

thanks for all the AWESOME info!!!

[quote]BARDUKE wrote:

JANUARY 10TH

GRIP TYPE 1: Two-fingers (pronated)
GRIP TYPE 2: Three-fingers (pronated)
GRIP TYPE 3: Full grip (pronated)
GRIP TYPE 4: Hook grip (olympic lifting grip)
GRIP TYPE 5: Alternating grip
[/quote]

LOVING this thread so much!

when you talk about 2 and 3 finger grip, where are the other fingers in relation to the barbell? do you just not use them and lift them up off the bar? or are they on the opposite “top” side of the bar, the “working” fingers being on bottom?

thanks for all the AWESOME info!!!
[/quote]

Opposite top side (over the bar) .

This has nothing to do with training tips… but it is something random and it happened today.

I just received 3 olympic lifting bars and 530lbs worth of bumper plates. Bought them very cheap from Sorinex. They make their own stuff so I bought their home brand, which is VERY inexpensive.

They make bumper plates in both kg and lbs. Although I come from an olympic lifting background and work well in Kg, everybody I work with normally uses lbs. So I bought the lbs option.

2 man’s bars
1 woman’s bar
4 x 45lbs
4 x 35lbs
4 x 25lbs
6 x 15lbs (first time I’ve seen those)
2 x 10lbs (also a first)

All in bumper plates for less than 2000$ including shipping! Not bad considering that a Eleiko BAR (only the bar) costs almost that much!

During my lifting career I’ve trained on most olympic lifting brands (Eleiko, Ivanko, York competition and training sets, Ueseka, etc.) and on some unknown foreign stuff and the Sorinex stuff is just as good as any training set I’ve used. I will not be idiotic and claim that it is as good as Eleiko’s competition stuff (although 99% of those who compare both will not see a difference) but it is at least as good as the York’s and Ivanko’s olympic lifting bumper sets and most other brands.

Those who are looking into buying bumpers for their home gym should take a look at these. For less than 700$ you can get 260lbs in bumper plates and a quality bar. Hard to get a better deal on new stuff.

http://store.sorinex.com/Black_Bumper_Plates_s/112.htm
http://store.sorinex.com/Sorinex_All_Terrain_Bar_45lb_p/sorb-1.htm