T Nation

Thib's Q&A

Due to the fact that my ‘‘Thib zone’’ is now too big and takes forever to load, all questions must now be posted in this thread.

Sup Coach, I have a quick question. Yesterday I had some blood work done and my glucose was 83 fasting. My total cholesterol was 313 while my hdl was 37. I presently stand 6’5 306 at roughly 30%bf. I know you advocate a low carb approach to getting the fat off. With this info do you think it would be wise for me to use the low carb approach still. Or should I do a lower fat type of eating stlye? Thanks!!!

Hey Thib,

One question that’s been on my mind lately. We know that it is the vastus medialis that is primarily responsible for the top 1/4 of the squat. My question is HOW do we know that? Is this simply EMG data, or is there another way to know that? For example, the vastus lateralis, the rectus femoris and the vastus intermedius are all knee flexors. How do we know that it’s specifically the vastus medialis that is most active at the top?

I’m only using the vastus medialis as an example, but the question applies to other muscle groups as well, where multiple muscles have the same or similar functions.

so…can we repost a question you might have browsed over there last week or last month sometime seems this page is quicker :wink: ha

Coach-

I’m looking to add some good mass and I plan to try OVT, after reading around I’m just curious, is this a good program for hypertrophy or is it more strength oriented?
If so, can u recommend a better one?

If it matters my diet is carbs only post workout.

Thanks coach!!!

Coach,

Would you mind elaborating on the 18-months you once kept from having a carb meal? I am interested as to your overall caloric intake, what your goals were at the time, if it was at a caloric deficit the whole time ,what metabolism concerns or precautions did you consider, etc.?

Without doing the V-Diet, I have consistently followed similar dietary guidelines using solid meals since Feb. I am 5’9" and started out at 205 lbs. and guessing around 30% BF. I am down to 169 lbs and starting to see upper ab definition.

I want to continue losing these last few pounds of fat but have concerns about metabolism damage due to prolonged caloric deficits. I confess to toggling between fears of losing muscle mass, looking small and feeling good seeing the progress. I can say my strength and work capacity have improved but I am a beginner really.

Take care,

Ed

p.s. - If I missed this somewhere else on the site, please direct me.

[quote]NiallC wrote:
so…can we repost a question you might have browsed over there last week or last month sometime seems this page is quicker :wink: ha[/quote]

Try it and you will be FOREVER on my blacklist. Even making the joke is kinda annoying to my ears.

[quote]delux0 wrote:
Coach-

I’m looking to add some good mass and I plan to try OVT, after reading around I’m just curious, is this a good program for hypertrophy or is it more strength oriented?

If so, can u recommend a better one?

If it matters my diet is carbs only post workout.

Thanks coach!!![/quote]

It’s a decent program. But one that I wrote something like 6 years ago. I would not write something like this with my current knowledge.

Look into my HST-100 series for something better.

[quote]educote wrote:
I am interested as to your overall caloric intake[/quote]

I don’t really rely on calorie counting. The body doesn’t recognize ‘‘calories’’ which are just a measure of heat, it recognize nutrients.

So it would be more fair to talk about total nutrients intake.

As far as what it was… man… this was 3 years ago. I do not have precise data about it anymore (I changed my computer 5 times in that period and lost some stuff).

I wasn’t deficitary at all times. I had periods of higher food intake, mostly by raising my fat intake as my protein intake was fairly stable at 300-350g per day on average.

[quote]educote wrote:
, what your goals were at the time [/quote]

Mostly to maintain my body composition where it was as far as body fat as concerned while adding a bit of lean body mass.

Understand that being a personal trainer/strength coach is a paradox of some kind: if you are in great shape (lean and muscular) you will make more money as people will trust you more.

However if you are TOO muscular (as in too big) your business actually starts to go down. Why? Because trainers will make money mostly from training average Joes.

We do talk about our athletes more as they are good for publicity, but unless you work for a specific team your clientele will be at least 70% average peoples. And there is a point with this type of clientele where being too muscular is actually a turn off.

Most average Joes (guys) will look for a trainer who looks like something they would like to achieve. And being ‘‘bodybuilding big’’ just isn’t that look for most.

Being bodybuilding big WILL get you are certain type of clients (those who want to be bodybuilders) but this is a very small market.

And needless to say that since most women are afraid of getting ‘‘too big’’, looking like a freak is the best way not to get their business.

Plus there is the whole steroid stigmata. While it is possible to get very muscular naturally, the average Joe automatically assume that anybody with muscles is using roids. So as a trainer, being huge can actually rub you of some credibility by raising some doubts about steroids use.

Now I can afford to get a bit bigger because my business is going well and my reputation is solid. But 3-4 years ago I still needed to get a good client base and being 190lbs at 6% body fat was more marketable than being 225lbs at the same level of body fat.

[quote]educote wrote:
I want to continue losing these last few pounds of fat but have concerns about metabolism damage due to prolonged caloric deficits.[/quote]

And rightfully so! THERE ARE NO ESSENTIAL CARBS. Meaning that the body can function perfectly without carbs once the body is adapted to that type of dieting. HOWEVER spending too much time in an energy deficit can be very negative.

Depending on the extent of the deficit, I normally recommend not staying there for more than 8-12 weeks. After which you increase your food intake to a slight surplus for 1-2 weeks. BUT you can (and in your case probably should) do so by keeping your carbs low.

[quote]kligor wrote:
Hey Thib,

One question that’s been on my mind lately. We know that it is the vastus medialis that is primarily responsible for the top 1/4 of the squat. My question is HOW do we know that? Is this simply EMG data, or is there another way to know that?

For example, the vastus lateralis, the rectus femoris and the vastus intermedius are all knee flexors. How do we know that it’s specifically the vastus medialis that is most active at the top?

I’m only using the vastus medialis as an example, but the question applies to other muscle groups as well, where multiple muscles have the same or similar functions.[/quote]

It can come from various sources:

  • iEMG data
  • biomechanical analysis (which is more theoretical)
  • real world experience

The later is often dismissed and truth be told, it really pisses me off sometimes!

Today everybody is asking for 211 peer-reviewed studies before trusting any source of info. These people (who normally have about as much muscle as a lamp post) never trust experience and the results from people who actually TRIED to find out for themselves in the gym.

As Arthur Jones once said: ‘‘There are two common mistakes: some people think that intelligence is a substitute for experience �?? and some people who think that experience is a substitute for intelligence’’. And how true this is!

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
delux0 wrote:
Coach-

I’m looking to add some good mass and I plan to try OVT, after reading around I’m just curious, is this a good program for hypertrophy or is it more strength oriented?
If so, can u recommend a better one?

If it matters my diet is carbs only post workout.

Thanks coach!!!

It’s a decent program. But one that I wrote something like 6 years ago. I would not write something like this with my current knowledge.

Look into my HST-100 series for something better.[/quote]

Thanks coach, I’m assuming the hst is a type-o since all I found was hss. I could have swore I saw a full routine out of it instead of just chest and back and shoulder specialization. Is that what you were talking about?

btw: one of the things I’m rly trying to focus on is my arms, do you recommend anything for that? preferably a full routine but Ill take anything to give me.

Thanks a ton coach!!!

[quote]delux0 wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
delux0 wrote:
Coach-

I’m looking to add some good mass and I plan to try OVT, after reading around I’m just curious, is this a good program for hypertrophy or is it more strength oriented?
If so, can u recommend a better one?

If it matters my diet is carbs only post workout.

Thanks coach!!!

It’s a decent program. But one that I wrote something like 6 years ago. I would not write something like this with my current knowledge.

Look into my HST-100 series for something better.

Thanks coach, I’m assuming the hst is a type-o since all I found was hss. I could have swore I saw a full routine out of it instead of just chest and back and shoulder specialization. Is that what you were talking about?

btw: one of the things I’m rly trying to focus on is my arms, do you recommend anything for that?

preferably a full routine but Ill take anything to give me.
Thanks a ton coach!!![/quote]

HSS-100 full version.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
delux0 wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
delux0 wrote:
Coach-

I’m looking to add some good mass and I plan to try OVT, after reading around I’m just curious, is this a good program for hypertrophy or is it more strength oriented?
If so, can u recommend a better one?

If it matters my diet is carbs only post workout.

Thanks coach!!!

It’s a decent program. But one that I wrote something like 6 years ago. I would not write something like this with my current knowledge.

Look into my HST-100 series for something better.

Thanks coach, I’m assuming the hst is a type-o since all I found was hss. I could have swore I saw a full routine out of it instead of just chest and back and shoulder specialization. Is that what you were talking about?
btw: one of the things I’m rly trying to focus on is my arms, do you recommend anything for that? Preferably a full routine but Ill take anything to give me.
Thanks a ton coach!!!

HSS-100 full version. [/quote]
I think I found it…
sorry, just to make sure, its called “Most Powerful Program Ever” correct?
Thanks for all the help!

Hey Thib,

Thanks for the great answers it has helped me alot in the past.

I read your posts about magnesium and understand the “ate” form is better. I have found 3 different kinds which one should I get in your opinion:

#1 Now - Magnesium Citrate 200 mg
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1382

#2 Natural Factors - Magnesium Chelate 125 mg
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=383

#3 Natural Factors - Magnesium Citrate 150 mg
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1479

Merci!

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
Hey Thib,

Thanks for the great answers it has helped me alot in the past.

I read your posts about magnesium and understand the “ate” form is better. I have found 3 different kinds which one should I get in your opinion:

#1 Now - Magnesium Citrate 200 mg
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1382

#2 Natural Factors - Magnesium Chelate 125 mg
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=383

#3 Natural Factors - Magnesium Citrate 150 mg
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1479

Merci![/quote]

First choice would be aspartate second choice chelate.

Hey coach thib

quick question
whats your view on the MAX OT program? Im thinking about trying it.

age:18
Weight:163lbs
Height: 5’10
Bf-10%

bulking right now about 2700-3000 cals a day

Thsnks coach for answering my question earlier. i have two more questions, however, neither have anything to do with each other.

  1. This is something im curious about. what do you think about Chad Waterbury’s hybrid hypertrophy and TBT for muscle building? total body workouts seem to fit the bill now cuz of my job.

  2. Whats your take on zercher squats as a thigh builder?

Hey coach,

For your recommendation of 1-2g magnesium, is it elemental magnesium or total magnesium aspartate? thanks for all the information you provide!

Hi coach,

Do you have some tips to reduce soreness beside bcaa? each time I do some back squats my entire legs and ass are so sore for the next 4-5 days its not even funny, it makes me want to refuse to squat, I cant even walk properly …

I try to do some warm up, like bodyweight squat, it works but as soon as I stop walking (my job require me to stand in the same spot for long period) the soreness just come back.

also, any news about the maxi forme ?

Hey coach Thibaudeau,

I’m a 17 year old guy, I weigh ~200lbs.

Question 1) I drink about 1.6 US gallons (6 litres) of 2% milk a day, is this alright with the calcium and such?

Question 2) I also drink 8-12 eggs a day. Cholesterol-wise (Or otherwise), is this alright?

No family history of anything at all really.

Thanks a lot!