Thib's Prep

I might consider doing a bodybuilding show in the near future. I said that I would not do that again because I really have nothing to gain and everything to lose from it.

BUT last time I competed I completely screwed up the last few weeks; overdieting, losing muscle then dehydrating too much and suffering from a heat stroke on stage. Which goes to show that regardless of how much you know, you can’t remain objective in those last few weeks.

Anyway, everytime I look at my pictures from 3-4 weeks prior to the show I get mad because having been in that shape I would have KILLED!

It is this desire for redemption that is motivating me.

I feel that I overdieted and went too extreme on my diet for too long (too low on calories, too low on carbs while not raising fat enough).

So here is my plan so far. I will revolve around a 10 days cycle based on the earliest work of Dan Duchaine and Mike Zumpano called ‘‘the ultimate diet’’ and it will go as follow:

Day 1. Low-carbs (50g or less); high protein (around 400g of protein which is roughly 1.75x bodyweight); moderate fat (30g from fish oil, around 40g from other sources… GPP-style workout to quickly tap into glycogen stores. No strength training.

Day 2. Same diet. Chest in the AM (moderate intensity, relatively high volume), Delts and Triceps in the PM (moderate intensity, relatively high volume). Since I’m low carbs on that day I’ll use peri-workout strategy no.1 (see below)

Day 3. Same diet. Leg in the AM (mod intensity, relatively high volume), back and biceps in the PM (mod intensity, relatively high volume). Peri-workout strategy no.1

Day 4. Same diet. Abs and cardio. No peri-workout.

Day 5. Targeted carbs approach… no carbs, except peri-workout (strategy no.2). Chest/Delts/Triceps workout (low volume, beyond failure training).

Day 6. Same diet as Day 5. Legs/Back/Biceps workout (low volume, beyond failure)

Day 7. High carbs diet… roughly 400-500g of carbs spread throughout the day. No training

Day 8. Targeted carbs approach … ‘‘Power pressing day’’ (bench, push press, dips for strength)

Day 9. Targeted carbs approach … ‘‘Power pull/legs day’’ (squat, dead, chins for strength)

Day 10. Cardio and Abs. Low-carbs day. No peri-workout.

Peri-workout strategy no.1
PRE
Anaconda 1 serving (upcoming product by Biotest)

DURING
BCAAs 40g

AFTER
Anaconda 1 serving
Whey isolate 1 scoop
Glutamine 20g
Glycine 10g

Peri-workout strategy no.2
PRE
SURGE Workout Fuel 1 serving

During
SURGE Workout Fuel 1 serving

Whey isolate 1 scoop

Christian I commend you.

Firstly, because after what was no doubt was a frustrating unfulfilling experience prior, you have decided to do what most would not - and that is take a risk. And second, because juggling a recent marriage, a successful career and active bodybuilding lifestyle is no easy task.

In my opinion complacency and fear of failure typically limits our capacity for success. In no way am I suggesting you are complacent (your success and passion are overidingley evident), however, the willingness to open yourself up for critique, both in terms of physique and practise, will make you both a better bodybuilder and a better coach.

I will sit and read with interest and intrigue as your preparation ensues.

Looking forward to looking over this! Good luck Coach!

Very interesting. I definitely understand that burning desire for redemption you must be feeling to be willing to go through the whole process of preparing for a contest.

Said that, what makes you choose the original UD over Lyle’s McDonald 2.0 version? I understand you have used several variations of it on yourself and clients.

[quote]Bachovas wrote:
Very interesting. I definitely understand that burning desire for redemption you must be feeling to be willing to go through the whole process of preparing for a contest.

Said that, what makes you choose the original UD over Lyle’s McDonald 2.0 version? I understand you have used several variations of it on yourself and clients.[/quote]

I used the UD2.0 diet with good success preparing for a TV appearance.

In his book even Lyle says that the original ultimate diet was better, but too unpractical for people to follow it.

I modified it a bit (lower carbs on days 8 and 9 compared to the original).

This is the pic that always gets to me… it was taken 5-6 weeks out. I was around 212-215 with striated glutes… at the weigh in I was 189 and not leaner!!!

Coach, you mentioned a contest in the “near future” Any mor e specifics on the exact date/ timeline?

Very interesting… I LOVE when you create these threads… I’ll be following along for sure… Sounds good… Keep us updated!

On a side note… I’m interested in getting my hands on some Glycine, however I’m finding it rather difficult to obtain… I’ll keep digging…

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
Coach, you mentioned a contest in the “near future” Any mor e specifics on the exact date/ timeline? [/quote]

May 23rd then July 4th

Thib, I can only seem to find the UD2.0 version on the net. Is there anywhere to get the original Ultimate Diet by Dan Duchaine and Mike Zumpano?
thanks

It’ll be interesting to see your diet and training before those 10 days.

Where do you plan to compete?

I hope to be 200 pounds in your pic’s condition by the last quarter of 2010.

Look forward to tracking your progress, keep us updated! You plan to weigh in under 190 again?

[quote]Game Time wrote:
Look forward to tracking your progress, keep us updated! You plan to weigh in under 190 again?[/quote]

“This is the pic that always gets to me… it was taken 5-6 weeks out. I was around 212-215 with striated glutes… at the weigh in I was 189 and not leaner!!!”

Reading this can answer your question.

I’m reading your Dr.Jekyll Mr.Hyde book atm which has a number of pics from your previous BB contest. If you come in better then that I’d imagine you could dominate. Your quads in those picutres are some of the best I’ve ever seen on any bodybuilder, although I can see what you mean about the glutes.

Regarding the training, I thought you said training for strength when dieting down is the best way to hold on to muscle mass. Doesn’t seem to be as much as I thought there would be. Although I’d imagine you wouldn’t have to change anything too much as your in single digit body fat year round.

what contest would these be if u decided to compete?

I will enjoy following this thread, are you working with a coach?

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I’m reading your Dr.Jekyll Mr.Hyde book atm which has a number of pics from your previous BB contest. If you come in better then that I’d imagine you could dominate. Your quads in those picutres are some of the best I’ve ever seen on any bodybuilder, although I can see what you mean about the glutes.

Regarding the training, I thought you said training for strength when dieting down is the best way to hold on to muscle mass. Doesn’t seem to be as much as I thought there would be. Although I’d imagine you wouldn’t have to change anything too much as your in single digit body fat year round.[/quote]

I will have 2 pure strength workouts per 10 days and 2 still using pretty heavy weights (6-8 reps range). So I’m still lifting heavy.

It has started.

I spent the weekend away with my wife, no training and had a few good meals.

This morning I’m 227.5lbs.

It’s still early, so far today I ate:

200g steak
6 caps Flameout
a bowl of roman letuce and cucumbers

[quote]Game Time wrote:
Look forward to tracking your progress, keep us updated! You plan to weigh in under 190 again?[/quote]

I’m 227.5 with less than 10% body fat. If I end up under 190 it will probably mean that I will have lost a leg in the process!!!

[quote]Italiano wrote:
Thib, I can only seem to find the UD2.0 version on the net. Is there anywhere to get the original Ultimate Diet by Dan Duchaine and Mike Zumpano?
thanks[/quote]

The book UD2.0 does explain this original diet.