Thib's OVT Training

I decided to give this program a shot, to do something different.

Holy crap. The first day was brutal. I can’t remember doing a workout of this volume including both chest and back together. I’m itching to buy some SURGE Workout Fuel, lol.

Can’t wait to see how bad the soreness is tomorrow, lol.

From those that have done it, what are your thoughts on the program?

I’m running another 2 week cycle of 11-T, so I figured this might be a good program to use in conjunction with it to shake things up.

I did it over the summer.

Just wait till leg day. My glutes have never been so sore.

I really liked it but I didn’t grow. I did get stronger, though. However, I’m a bit of a weirdo. I just lost a couple lbs this week doing less activity and eating the same (still eating over 4000cals/day, no cardio, just sitting all day) Finals get me stressed out!

I would think eating a lot along with the 11t would make OVT a winner.

You know that Thib’s recommends HSS-100 over OVT now right?

[quote]MUthrows94 wrote:
You know that Thib’s recommends HSS-100 over OVT now right? [/quote]

I did not know that :wink:

I have done it recently…and I absolutely loved it!

I’ve also read that it has fallen out of favor, but based on it’s protocols I decided that it was perfect for what I was looking for.

It coincided with me actually eating like I should have been for oh say…the first 30 years of my life, which certainly contributed to most of my gains…but the gains I made were amazing.

In 8-10 weeks, every lift went up 30-45 lbs and I put on 13 quality pounds.

You’ll get used to the volume but yeah those first couple weeks are tough. I was amazed at how I was able to add weight to the bar…I made it my primary concern.

One thing I noticed…is that because the weights kept going up I did have to rest a bit longer between sets and the workouts lasted 1.5 hours…but it was totally worth it.

I also chose a few different exercises than the ones suggested, but no major changes.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
MUthrows94 wrote:
You know that Thib’s recommends HSS-100 over OVT now right?

I did not know that ;)[/quote]

Yea, he mentioned it in his newest thread check out what he said:
Transplant
"delux0 wrote:
Coach-

I’m looking to add some good mass and I plan to try OVT, after reading around I’m just curious, is this a good program for hypertrophy or is it more strength oriented?

If so, can u recommend a better one?

If it matters my diet is carbs only post workout.

Thanks coach!!!

It’s a decent program. But one that I wrote something like 6 years ago. I would not write something like this with my current knowledge.

Look into my HST-100 series for something better."

Just figured I would throw that out their for you :slight_smile: although im sure OVT will be fine…

[quote]Trenchant wrote:

Just wait till leg day. My glutes have never been so sore.

[/quote]

I agree 100%. I didnt know my muscles could be stay sore for 6 days untill the first leg workout.

Feel free to check out my log in the forum. Im currently in week5 and love/hate every workout.

HARDWORK=RESULTS

holy crap, today was leg day. I’m wiped. I can only imagine how they will feel by tomorrow night

honestly bro i wasted 2 months on that program with no results. even Thibs says its not what he would reccomend now

[quote]crod266 wrote:
honestly bro i wasted 2 months on that program with no results. even Thibs says its not what he would reccomend now[/quote]

I dunno, there doesn’t seem to be anything “wrong” with the program. given proper nutrition and supplementation I can’t see how one couldn’t see nice results.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
crod266 wrote:
honestly bro i wasted 2 months on that program with no results. even Thibs says its not what he would reccomend now

I dunno, there doesn’t seem to be anything “wrong” with the program. given proper nutrition and supplementation I can’t see how one couldn’t see nice results.[/quote]

well i personally dont like how you have to count tempo but also there is so many supersets that it was a pain trying to use all that equipment at once. there is also alot of volume but i guess maybe with that SURGE Workout Fuel it might be ok.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
crod266 wrote:

I dunno, there doesn’t seem to be anything “wrong” with the program. given proper nutrition and supplementation I can’t see how one couldn’t see nice results.

well i personally dont like how you have to count tempo but also there is so many supersets that it was a pain trying to use all that equipment at once. there is also alot of volume but i guess maybe with that SURGE Workout Fuel it might be ok.[/quote]

well, I don’t count the tempo, but I’m sure to go much much slower on the 2nd exercise of each superset.

and luckily, I workout around 2pm, so the gym is usually pretty slow.

I tried it for a couple of weeks about 6 months ago and it was just too much for me personally. I couldn’t progress in the weights like I wanted.

However, maybe with the right diet and supplementation it could work, but I just could not handle the volume. HSS-100 was a high quality program though. I would recommend that if OVT doesn’t work or your ready to change programs.

I did it once a while back with very good results, i liked the setup and the exercise choices.

on another note

If it was good back then I cant see why it wouldn’t be now…i’m not sure what seems to be a new theory that when a new workout or supplement comes out it suddenly has the ability to make older ones not work anymore

Cheers

Legs aren’t feeling too bad right now. I’ll chalk it up to not being long enough for DOMS to set in fully, but also 11-T seems to have helped in the past with DOMS

I also remember reading somewhere Thibs saying that if he knew then what he does now, he would not have written the program. But I don’t exactly remember so it would be best for him to reply directly lol.

[quote]davidtower wrote:

I’ve also read that it has fallen out of favor, but based on it’s protocols I decided that it was perfect for what I was looking for.

It coincided with me actually eating like I should have been for oh say…the first 30 years of my life, which certainly contributed to most of my gains…but the gains I made were amazing.

You’ll get used to the volume but yeah those first couple weeks are tough. I was amazed at how I was able to add weight to the bar…I made it my primary concern.

One thing I noticed…is that because the weights kept going up I did have to rest a bit longer between sets and the workouts lasted 1.5 hours…but it was totally worth it.

I also chose a few different exercises than the ones suggested, but no major changes.
[/quote]

Dude, completely off topic but your avatar is hilarious. Never thought Bloodsport could make me laugh. Where did you get it? I have to get it

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
davidtower wrote:

Dude, completely off topic but your avatar is hilarious. Never thought Bloodsport could make me laugh. Where did you get it? I have to get it[/quote]

hehe thanks…I got it in some random e-mail at work so I can’t help you there.

As for OVT…I did it and loved it and got amazing strength and size results from it. It was very different than what I was doing before it which is one of the reasons why I chose it (nothing works forever)

Now I’m doing something very different than both previous routines

Who knows…maybe I’ll even do full body next (gasp!)

I totally agree with the post about just because something is older doesn’t mean it somehow stops working. Maybe we should all stop doing 3x10 if that’s the case?

It’s not that it won’t work, but perhaps his more recent workout routines are just better.

so where does one find the HST-100 program?