Thibs New Training Questions #3

Hi Thibs,
I appreciate your response to my question on the other thread. I’ve got one more about the autoregulation and the perfect rep. Should one terminate the set when the turnaround point gets slower? In other words, can there be a sticking point in the turnaround?

I’ve found that when benching I can go up ten pounds, and while I don’t get stuck after the turnaround, during it, I can’t push the weight up with the same explosiveness. There’s a brief pause before the weight goes up that isn’t there with the previous weight. I did my best to search, I apologize if I missed the answer somewhere. Thanks.

Hi CT,

I’ve discovered that my left leg can press or unilaterally squat way less weight than my right … but the problem is only in the bottom, ass-against-calves position.

I was wondering how I can incorporate isometrics for the weaker leg to deal with the strength imbalance.

Right now, I’m doing weighted pistols, autoregulating sets of 3 reps, with the goal being maximum acceleration of a 7RM load. I keep my volume of regular reps the same for both legs. Based on one of your books, I’ve tried a 5 to 10 second isometric hold at the bottom position, before beginning my regular sets.

But progress is a bit slow. Should I do add isometric holds in among the regular sets as well?

For example, after every set of 3, I thought I might add a 5-second isometric hold at the bottom, for the weaker side, and rest a little longer between sets.

Can you give me any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Quick question CT,

In regards to accessory work after heavy lifting, would it be more effective ( in regards to hypertrophy ) to do those exercises ramping the weight up each set, or stay at the same weight for all sets and when you reach the reps for all sets then add more weight and start over again ( example 120x10 - 120x10 - 120x8 then when you reach 10 reps for all 3 sets move up to 125 or 130 etc… ).

Hi coach,
I have a few questions:

1. I was thinking of following your ‘style’ of spec for the next couple of months. It turns out that it’s the way IBB is structured. However, I don’t have access to Anaconda and the rest of the protocol. Is there a point in using a similar program but with, say, less exercises (2 on day 1, 4 ex circuit on day 2 and 1 pairing on day 3)?

2. Do you still use spec programs, where the targeted bodypart is divided into parts (as in HSS-100) or exercise (e.g. squat-lunge-deadlift on a leg spec) rather than using different methods throughout the week? I guess that it depends on the circumstances.

3. What’s your opinion on using creatine cyclically vs. constantly?

Thanks

I’ll give you all a moment to have a good laugh at a rookie post…now that you got that out of your system, here’s my question/comment.

After a long career playing international rugby, I really let myself go for some time. Until last year, set a resolution and actually stuck with it. Began hitting the weights, running, cardio and really watching the diet. To date, I’ve lost about 65 pounds net - I lost more than that but gained a good amount of lean mass.

I’ve recently begun the Anaconda Protocol, and perhaps I should have asked this question before starting, but starting all over again in terms of hitting the weights if I stick with the program can an old guy (37) expect results even if I’m not lifting the crazy weights Mr. Thibodeau is?

I like the site alot and appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Elliot

[quote]elliot15 wrote:
I’ll give you all a moment to have a good laugh at a rookie post…now that you got that out of your system, here’s my question/comment.

After a long career playing international rugby, I really let myself go for some time. Until last year, set a resolution and actually stuck with it. Began hitting the weights, running, cardio and really watching the diet. To date, I’ve lost about 65 pounds net - I lost more than that but gained a good amount of lean mass.

I’ve recently begun the Anaconda Protocol, and perhaps I should have asked this question before starting, but starting all over again in terms of hitting the weights if I stick with the program can an old guy (37) expect results even if I’m not lifting the crazy weights Mr. Thibodeau is?

I like the site alot and appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Elliot[/quote]

One of the original ‘‘test subjects’’ for the protocol is Dr. Tim Hall who is over 50 and gained 9lbs in (if I remember correctly) 5-6 weeks without looking like he added any fat. His overall strength increased drastically too.

Another guy I used the protocol with is a 60 years old fireman who also added A LOT of strength (over 50lbs on his power clean and close to 100lbs on his deadlift) while actually training more for strength-endurance (Firefit events). He won 3 gold medals and 1 silver in the over 50 group at the world championships, despite being the oldest in his class.

So yes, it works.

[quote]View 1 wrote:
Quick question CT,

In regards to accessory work after heavy lifting, would it be more effective ( in regards to hypertrophy ) to do those exercises ramping the weight up each set, or stay at the same weight for all sets and when you reach the reps for all sets then add more weight and start over again ( example 120x10 - 120x10 - 120x8 then when you reach 10 reps for all 3 sets move up to 125 or 130 etc… ).

[/quote]

It depends on the exercise and on the amount of work you’ve done in the workout. For example, I don’t really ramp up the weight in an exercise where I don’t use at least 100lbs. Well, I might do two progressively heavier sets, but not full out ramping.

[quote]BattlewithIron wrote:
Hi Thibs,
I appreciate your response to my question on the other thread. I’ve got one more about the autoregulation and the perfect rep. Should one terminate the set when the turnaround point gets slower? In other words, can there be a sticking point in the turnaround?

I’ve found that when benching I can go up ten pounds, and while I don’t get stuck after the turnaround, during it, I can’t push the weight up with the same explosiveness. There’s a brief pause before the weight goes up that isn’t there with the previous weight. I did my best to search, I apologize if I missed the answer somewhere. Thanks.[/quote]

Without seeing you lift it is hard to make that call. The best advice I can give you is ask yourself if that rep or weight feels a lot different than when you use 10lbs less. If the difference is like night and day, don’t go there. If it’s just a big slower, but once you get started it is smooth, you can do that set.

[quote]RawMinded wrote:
hey coach,

I don’t hear much about muscle power cleans but i’ve been doing them lately cause i hurt my knee and can’t dip under the bar. Are they worth doing since you can’t do as much weight as a power clean?

[/quote]

Yes… even if you are using less weight, you must produce just as much force and power to create the mementum required to bring the bar higher up.

[quote]kligor wrote:
Thibs,

I’m still a bit confused on the frequency variable of autoregulatory training. How frequently could/should you train using such a system. I realize that since it is autoregulatory, it kind of takes care of itself, but won’t it be overkill for the CNS if done more than 2-3 times per week for the same lift(s)?[/quote]

It depends on the daily volume. Olympic lifters do the snatch, clean & jerk and a form of squat 4-6 days a week. They might not go all out at every session, but they can do it daily. I’m not saying to do a lift everyday, but that if you plan the volume and intensity (e.g. push hard 2 days, stay below the max force point 2 other days) properly a lift CAN be done frequentely.

[quote]Nima wrote:
Coach can you recommend any books written by Russian and/or eastern European strength coaches?

Also i cant find out how to setup my upperbody days doing the Smolov squat program. Would it be ok to throw in some upper body movements on the same days after performing the squats first?

Thanks![/quote]

I have never used the smolov routine so I cannot comment on how to integrate the upper body work into it. However since it is a program by Russian coach Boris Sheiko, you could look up the programs that he has written for 3 lifts powerlifters (bench, squat, deadlift).

As for books from Russian coaches, go to www.elitefts.com, they sell plenty of them.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Nima wrote:
Coach can you recommend any books written by Russian and/or eastern European strength coaches?

Also i cant find out how to setup my upperbody days doing the Smolov squat program. Would it be ok to throw in some upper body movements on the same days after performing the squats first?

Thanks![/quote]

I have never used the smolov routine so I cannot comment on how to integrate the upper body work into it. However since it is a program by Russian coach Boris Sheiko, you could look up the programs that he has written for 3 lifts powerlifters (bench, squat, deadlift).

As for books from Russian coaches, go to www.elitefts.com, they sell plenty of them.[/quote]

By the way, the funny thing is that Sheiko is not popular at all among Russian/Ukraininan powerlifters. It’s laughable that Americans popularized it because it’s the next “cool secret Russian program”. It’s even more ridiculous considering the fact that it have never been translated properly (the whole book and system), and I’ve read only bits and pieces done by Google translate. Many points are also misunderstood because of this.

Actually, many elite and experinced Russian powerlifters laugh at this program and claim that it’s absurd even with heavy recovery drug usage.

Sheiko trained some champions, but not a lot of them. The few that he trained are considered to have freaky genetics. One of his champions said in an interview that he secretly tweaked the program towards lower volume/intensity without telling Sheiko. (because most Russian coaches believe that they know the athlete’s body better than the athlete himself). Also he said that he had most injuries while trained by Sheiko. (he later switched to another coach)

The funny quote that Dmitry Kasatov said(raw bench press around 300kg): “I’m glad that some may consider using such programs as Sheiko, because it ensures that no one will beat my record”.

[quote]Nima wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

As for books from Russian coaches, go to www.elitefts.com, they sell plenty of them.[/quote]

Smolov is a program by Smolov. Not Sheiko.

Benching and pulling is going to have to go on the back burner…a minimum of maintenance work.

[quote]View 1 wrote:
Quick question CT,

[/quote]

It depends on the exercise and on the amount of work you’ve done in the workout. For example, I don’t really ramp up the weight in an exercise where I don’t use at least 100lbs. Well, I might do two progressively heavier sets, but not full out ramping.[/quote]

Thanks for the answer coach I appreciate it.

Before I ask my question, I must say to Eliot15 - you think 37 is old? Dude, I’m 42. There have been weeks where I have done some form of the Olympic lifts almost every day. My snatch sucks so I need lots of practice with it. I go cross-country skiing on the weekends. Old is what you make of it. And now for my question:

CT, you mentioned in one of your posts that when you trained the Olympic lifts you would ramp up to a relatively heavy single using 8x1, then back off and do 5x3. How much weight did you take off for the 5x3 sets? Thanks in advance.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Before I ask my question, I must say to Eliot15 - you think 37 is old? Dude, I’m 42. There have been weeks where I have done some form of the Olympic lifts almost every day. My snatch sucks so I need lots of practice with it. I go cross-country skiing on the weekends. Old is what you make of it. And now for my question:

CT, you mentioned in one of your posts that when you trained the Olympic lifts you would ramp up to a relatively heavy single using 8x1, then back off and do 5x3. How much weight did you take off for the 5x3 sets? Thanks in advance. [/quote]

Roughly 20kg

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

[/quote]

Correct. I train a woman who decided to compete in powerlifting this year. She is 47 and deadlift and bench 5 times a week (see the push-pull routine I posted in my random thoughts thread) and, like Mike, she goes cross-country skiing at least twice a week.

[quote]Ramo wrote:

[quote]Nima wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

Smolov is a program by Smolov. Not Sheiko.

Benching and pulling is going to have to go on the back burner…a minimum of maintenance work.[/quote]

Thanks for pointing it out. I don’t like to read about ‘‘routines’’ or ‘‘cycles’’ anyway, which explains my mistake. I much rather understand the basic concepts.

Thib, this is a routine for training bench press everyday done by a Russian powerlifting coach with 30 years of experience.

Week 1:

1. 75%x2, 80x2, 85x2
  2. 75x2, 80x2, 85x2, 90x1, 95x1
  3. 75x2, 80x2x2, 85x2x2
  4. 75x2, 80x2x2, 85x2x2, 90x1, 95x1
  5. 75x2, 80x2x2, 85x3x2
  6. 75x2, 80x2x2, 85x3x2, 90x1, 95x1

Week 2:
The same, but do 3 reps where you previously did 2 reps on Week 1.

Then 2 days off, light workout (70x3x5), then 2 days off again, and work up to 1RM.

I know you don’t like percentages and cycles, but what do you think in general? Seems like an overkill, as the everyday is MFP or even MLP sometimes.

I put in plenty of effort to make gains in the gym only to loose them every 6 months or so when i get really sick Ie: flu or virus or even just a cold every few weeks. I think it comes down to my sleeping habbits as i am a fire fighter and dont get much sleep a few nights a week because of night shifts. I have tried to sleep during the day but have found that i then cant sleep that night. I eat really good food so i dont think it has anything to do with vitamin deficiency and I take a rest week every few weeks so i dont think it has anything to do with over training. Is there anything i can try or take to stop getting sick all the time?
Thanks