Thibs Double Progression, Question

Coach CT when doing the double progression method is it necessary to get the target reps for all sets? For example if its 4x8 and I get say:210x8,8,8,8 then I feel the weight was too light to have a growth stimulus.

My question is could I increase the weight for the following sets immediately after getting the target rep? For example:

Set 1: 210x8
Set 2: 215x7
Set 3: 215x6
Set 4: 215x6

I feel this is more challenging and gives a better growth stimulus. Please explain?

[quote]Zach11 wrote:
Coach CT when doing the double progression method is it necessary to get the target reps for all sets? For example if its 4x8 and I get say:210x8,8,8,8 then I feel the weight was too light to have a growth stimulus.

My question is could I increase the weight for the following sets immediately after getting the target rep? For example:

Set 1: 210x8
Set 2: 215x7
Set 3: 215x6
Set 4: 215x6

I feel this is more challenging and gives a better growth stimulus. Please explain?[/quote]

Consider the following:

210x8,8,8,8 = a total of 6720 lbs over four sets

whereas

210x8 and 215x7,6,6 = a total of 5765 lbs over four sets.

Moreover, I think you have to think of this in terms of cumulative results over multiple workouts to see that the double progression model gives your body time to adapt to the stress and grow before attempting to increase the weight.

Always trying to increase the weights as soon as possible leads to quickly burning out and stalling, in my experience.

[quote]soupandspoons wrote:

Always trying to increase the weights as soon as possible leads to quickly burning out and stalling, in my experience.
[/quote]

EXACTLY!

It’s like dieting really. Trying to be too aggressive too fast might lead to a faster rate of progress at first, but you stall more quickly and the end-result is lower.