Thibaudeau's Comments on Deadlift

“By the way, a deadlift is not a pull; it’s the same movement as a leg press except you’re using your hands to hold the weight. So the deadlift is a press.”

The above is a direct, unaltered quote.

Doesn’t really matter I guess, but it’s interesting that he should say this…

Do you think the leg press uses the same muscles/movement pattern as the deadlift except with the weight in your hands?

The leg press is a good deadlift sub?

If one could only do one out of squat and deadlift, would they leg press and deadlift, or leg press and squat for a more balanced body?

1. NO!
  2. NO!
  3. NO! I almost laughed from this question, seriously.
  4. Probably leg press and deadlift considering both leg press and squat are quad dominant exercises.

I can’t help but ask after reading this post: are you seriously involved in lifting? I don’t believe you are considering anyone with six months of experience would answer NO to all three of your questions, as I did.

Back to number 3: Have you ever performed a hard set of deadlifts?

Do you have a link to the original article/thread where he said that? It’s really hard to understand what he’s trying to say without context. I kind of get what he’s saying, but I would never compare a deadlift to a leg press.

I might be willing to compare a leg press to a barbell hack squat and a barbell hack squat to a deadlift, but that’s really the only connection I can make.

From the floor to the knee + or - it is very similar to the leg-press…after that it is a pure pull. My back has never been worn-out/sore from leg-presses.

The deadlift utilizes more of the posterior chain, fuller engagement of the erector spinae and using the traps and scapulae, etc. for stabilization, than the leg press. Since the back is fully supported in the leg press I believe their movement patterns are different.

I looked up the quote and it is from the article “Look Like a Bodybuilder, Perform Like an Athlete” ( http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/look_like_a_bodybuilder_perform_like_an_athlete ). In context I don’t think Christian Thibaudeau was saying they’re one in the same, just that you are pressing up with your legs in the deadlift movement. Therefore, it is an appropriate, and important, exercise for the program.

perhaps…GASP!..CT said something wrong!!!

the horror!!! it just can’t be!

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
perhaps…GASP!..CT said something wrong!!!

the horror!!! it just can’t be![/quote]

Gurus are never wrong and never explain things inappropriately. Don’t you know this?

I seriously am flabbergasted that some people here can’t recognize just how much more muscle mass (especially upper body mass) and spinal loading deadlifts involve than leg presses?

Well

I’ve always thought about the deadlift as pushing my legs through the floor…so I do think of them as a press too.

I see no problem with the quote you are pushing into the ground until you straighten out.He is not saying the back is not being used. If you are keeping you legs straight and rounding the hell out of your back I can see it being a pull.

Also, it has been discussed.

Has been discussed. http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/deadlift_is_a_press?id=4208848&pageNo=1

Yes. Leg press and Deadlifts EXACTLY the same.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I see no problem with the quote you are pushing into the ground until you straighten out.He is not saying the back is not being used. If you are keeping you legs straight and rounding the hell out of your back I can see it being a pull.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/deadlift_is_a_press?id=4208848&pageNo=1[/quote]

Does it even matter whether someone prefers calling it a press rather than a pull?! The exercise remains the same and any numbskull who has performed deadlifts with over 315 or more can attest that they are far different from leg presses.

Anyone here perform deadlifts for 1 to 3 rep maxes? Perhaps you’ve on occasion experienced the post-deadlift-PR coma the next day.

[quote]alternate wrote:
“By the way, a deadlift is not a pull; it’s the same movement as a leg press except you’re using your hands to hold the weight. So the deadlift is a press.”
[/quote]

I remember stan efferding saying something very similar. Ofcourse its a much different movement than leg press in its entirety and isnt equally exchangable, but i beleive CT and efferding are just using the leg press example as a verbal cue of how to start the movement.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/deadlift_is_a_press?id=4208848&pageNo=1[/quote]

Does it even matter whether someone prefers calling it a press rather than a pull?! The exercise remains the same and any numbskull who has performed deadlifts with over 315 or more can attest that they are far different from leg presses.

Anyone here perform deadlifts for 1 to 3 rep maxes? Perhaps you’ve on occasion experienced the post-deadlift-PR coma the next day. [/quote]

No, it does not matter to me. However, you are the one who posted the snarky comment. He did not say that it is the same thing he said it is the same movement (pressing away). That does not mean it is purely a leg exercise. You claim he did not explain himself but, it seems you are not reading correctly. Have you ever squatted heavy? I would say that movement is also like a leg press however, the next day my upper back, abs, and overall I feel wrecked, that is not so with the leg press.

For a more complete body you would use a deadlift and leg press. But that’s only more complete then a leg press and a squat. If you are worried about a complete body you would do one lower body exercise and one upper body exercise. Leg press is only a substitute for the deadlift in strict leg sense. It’s in no way a substitute for the deadlift. The deadlift is a compound exercise, the leg press is more isolation. The deadlift works your hips like no other basic exercise dynamically working your hips, quads, hamstrings, and glutes, isometrically working nearly every other muscle in your body including the face the way some people squirm.

no exercise is “interchangeable”

each has its purpose

this is lesson one

I posted this in the FB BOI group, I will post the same here as well.

“Well you have to realize CT comes from an olympic lifting background. The olympic style deadlift is much different from your regular deadlift, in that the first pull is done via leg extension or pushing/pressing the floor, just like the squat (olympic). So from his perspective, I agree”

“CT is correct because his perspective is a clean/snatch deadlift, which is actually almost all quads on the first pull (because the hips are in a low position and the knees are flexed to a greater angle), and his way of squatting is simply the olympic high bar squat which is, again, almost all quads”

“he is not talking about a powerlifting squat or deadlift… video for reference:”

“and here’s a korean video (mute the music, lol). check out their deadlifts from floor to knee. hips are low, and quads are heavily used.”

Doesnt the deadlift work all of your back muscles along with the leg muscles? If you think about it, your back muscles are whats preventing your arms from popping out of the shoulder joint with all that weight in your hands, needless to say this doesnt happen in the leg press… in my opinion, the two lifts couldnt be more different

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
[/quote]

I remember stan efferding saying something very similar. Ofcourse its a much different movement than leg press in its entirety and isnt equally exchangable, but i beleive CT and efferding are just using the leg press example as a verbal cue of how to start the movement.[/quote]
This.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
For a more complete body you would use a deadlift and leg press.[/quote]

Would it depend on how you leg pressed?

Eg;

Feet high & wide hamstring leg press + squat

and

Feet low and narrow leg press + deadlift

?