Thib Q&A no.6

Got it! Thanks!

I recently came across the pulse feast/pulse fast diet program. The program seems great on paper. It fits well within my daily schedule and matches up with my psychological approach towards eating. So, I ordered the pulse fast stack and two additional bottles of MAG-10. By my calculation that is about an 8 day supply - two days being the pulse fast.

Is this supposed to be an everyday for the rest of your life diet or is this something that you cycle on and off with once a month for a week?

CT,

Is there any scientific evidence that anything beyond a mimimal fat intake is needed for optimal fat burning on a hypocalorie low carbs diet? I see many people suggesting that at least a moderate fat intake is necessary, but others suggest there is no real evidence this is true. The latter state that only a decrease is carbs is necessary.

I know you suggest a moderate fat intake while on a low carb diet to optimize fat burning. Is that based on published research or is that based on your experience?

Thanks

Rott

Hello CT, how much sprinting did you guys do with the CAD program? I see by week 3 and 7 the volume was pretty high for most of the exercises. I have to run my business which usually takes 60+hrs each week so Iā€™m only left with about 90mins 4 days per week to train.

Where can I find this article?

[quote]AnttiFIN wrote:
In your ā€œIf You Want to Go Faster, Go SLowerā€ -livespill you emphasized the importance of limit strength to speed development and mentioned overload partials and isometrics. How about heavy near 1RM singles in regular exercises for this purpose? Or heavy grinding triples? Do you use them at all? Could they be included into a complex, if one wanted to work the ā€œmassā€ end of the power curve? For example:

1. 1/4 squat, singles or triples (heavy)
  2. Full squat, singles or triples (heavy)
  3. Clean, 3 reps
  4. Jump Squat, 10 reps

Or how would you do it, if you wanted to focus on limit strength? Something other than complexes?

Thank you very much![/quote]

Christian, I have been following your HP priniciples for a few months now and have seen great gains. I now want to shed about 10-15 lbs of fat. Obviously diet has a lot to do with success however, what type of training would you recommend? Should I continue HP while adjusting weights when necessary or do something a little different?

My current week looks like this:

Mon:Upper performance
Tues:Upper performance
Wed: NC
Thur:Lower
Fri:Back/Biā€™s
Sat:rest
Sun:NC

Also if the goal is to drop that fat as fast as possible, could it be done in 4-6 weeks? I have never dropped fat before so I am a little lost.

CT,

In my younger years I grew up Surfing, swimming and playing water polo. Thus my Lats/Back have always been under a lot of stimulation. Its well developed and could possibly be over developed to arms and chestā€¦who knows.

Question is: A) The surfing paddle, is pretty much a lat pulldown eccentric, with some tris and chest involved. That said if Iā€™m surfing a couple days per week with 1-2 hours interval paddling. Should I remove the lat pull eccentrics from my workouts, and even possibly stop training lats for a while? Or will the rest of the body ā€œcatch upā€ and just continue with all forms of Lat involvement workouts and surfing???

or,

B) I shouldnā€™t give a rats ass.

B

[quote]Rott70 wrote:
CT,

Is there any scientific evidence that anything beyond a mimimal fat intake is needed for optimal fat burning on a hypocalorie low carbs diet? I see many people suggesting that at least a moderate fat intake is necessary, but others suggest there is no real evidence this is true. The latter state that only a decrease is carbs is necessary.

I know you suggest a moderate fat intake while on a low carb diet to optimize fat burning. Is that based on published research or is that based on your experience?

Thanks

Rott[/quote]

Itā€™s not to optimize fat burning ā€¦ I see several reasons to do so:

1. To help prevent muscle loss
  2. To prevent protein from becoming used too much for energy (via neoglucogenesis)
  3. Because I dieted using a low-carbs + low-fat diet in the past and FELT, LOOKED and LIFTED LIKE CRAP.
  4. For satiety purposesā€¦ itā€™s harder to stay on diet if you are always hungry

[quote]jone2219 wrote:
I recently came across the pulse feast/pulse fast diet program. The program seems great on paper. It fits well within my daily schedule and matches up with my psychological approach towards eating. So, I ordered the pulse fast stack and two additional bottles of MAG-10. By my calculation that is about an 8 day supply - two days being the pulse fast.

Is this supposed to be an everyday for the rest of your life diet or is this something that you cycle on and off with once a month for a week? [/quote]

I mentioned that in the article itselfā€¦ I donā€™t always eat like that. Sometimes I can go off for a few weeks then get back into it. OR you can go back to regular eating and throw in a pulse fast day here and there, normally the day before a planned overeating day. There is a lot of room to play with when you have experience how it works for your body.

CT,

I have been reading the article you wrote called ā€œThe Gironda Systemā€ which I liked a lot as I hate doing cardio.

You mentioned that Gironadaā€™s 10x10 was a specialization routine as it is too much for every body part. You also mentioned that you cut back all other body parts in half (5x10).

How frequent would you do the 10x10 for the targeted bodypart. Doing it just once per week does not seem like enough stimulation. I know Gironda was strongly in favour of hitting each bodypart x2 per week.

Thanks

[quote]utfootball4 wrote:
Where can I find this article?

[quote]AnttiFIN wrote:
In your ā€œIf You Want to Go Faster, Go SLowerā€ -livespill you emphasized the importance of limit strength to speed development and mentioned overload partials and isometrics. How about heavy near 1RM singles in regular exercises for this purpose? Or heavy grinding triples? Do you use them at all? Could they be included into a complex, if one wanted to work the ā€œmassā€ end of the power curve? For example:

1. 1/4 squat, singles or triples (heavy)
  2. Full squat, singles or triples (heavy)
  3. Clean, 3 reps
  4. Jump Squat, 10 reps

Or how would you do it, if you wanted to focus on limit strength? Something other than complexes?

Thank you very much![/quote]
[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/442

And to a more thorough articles of the same subject you might want to check out some of Kelly Baggetā€™s stuffā€¦

CT,

I was just wondering how effective HPMass will be for a rugby player on top of all the necessary anaerobic and aerobic conditioningā€¦

Also in regards to neural charge workouts will they be effective before gameday or even on the morning of the game?

Cheers,
Williams

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT,

In my younger years I grew up Surfing, swimming and playing water polo. Thus my Lats/Back have always been under a lot of stimulation. Its well developed and could possibly be over developed to arms and chestā€¦who knows.

Question is: A) The surfing paddle, is pretty much a lat pulldown eccentric, with some tris and chest involved. That said if Iā€™m surfing a couple days per week with 1-2 hours interval paddling. Should I remove the lat pull eccentrics from my workouts, and even possibly stop training lats for a while? Or will the rest of the body ā€œcatch upā€ and just continue with all forms of Lat involvement workouts and surfing???

or,

B) I shouldnā€™t give a rats ass.

B [/quote]

Hi Brandon,

Iā€™m in a similar situation to yourself. I use to swim frequently and thus have a dominant back. Its seems so understandable know why eccentric-less work is recommended for back. Looking at the gyms at my centre who have great backs and shoulders yet have never weight lifted a day in their life! Additionally I assume your the same as me that a mind muscle connection for the back is very easy to achieve?

I dropped to one lat workout every 10 days and am still making progress. I found at the least though it gives me time and focus to devote to the chest, arms and ā€œfrontā€ of the body. Iā€™ve managed to bring up the underdeveloped muscles this way. However not to the proportion Iā€™d like.

In my opinion humble opinion you should give a rat ass lol as Iā€™ve all developed a hunchback. My posture begins to suffer. Obviously Iā€™d be interested to see what CT says, but what approach do you plan on taking for the under developed areas? Are you intending to up the frequency seen as you wonā€™t have any lat workouts?

My left tricep long head appears to visibly attach about 3/4 inch higher on my arm than my right one.

It makes a fairly noticable size difference. Would ART be helpful or could specific training help address this issue?

Or am I just screwd by genetics somehow. In case this is relevant, I broke my left forearm when I was 19 and I started the noticing the structural/size difference between my triceps after that. Increased sets for my left arm has never seemed to benefit it.

I can post pictures if needed.

Cheers Nick,

Basically Iā€™m just increasing the frequency of work done on arms and chest, and plan on lowering the volume for Lats/Back depending on what CT calls for. Also using the sled for eccentric-only work as well.

B

Love the HPMass - been making gains and having a ton of fun.

But - Iā€™ve been getting a lot of carpal tunnel/median nerve irritation (waking up with numb fingers, etc.) possibly because of the increased frequency. In relation to previous programs Iā€™ve used, because of the pushing emphasis there seems to be added strain on the wrists.

Have you ever encountered this situataion before? Could it spring from a defect in technique?

Iā€™m currently just adding stretching / nerve flossing, but any advice would be appreciated.

[quote]ModelT wrote:
Love the HPMass - been making gains and having a ton of fun.

But - Iā€™ve been getting a lot of carpal tunnel/median nerve irritation (waking up with numb fingers, etc.) possibly because of the increased frequency. In relation to previous programs Iā€™ve used, because of the pushing emphasis there seems to be added strain on the wrists.

Have you ever encountered this situataion before? Could it spring from a defect in technique?

Iā€™m currently just adding stretching / nerve flossing, but any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

I encountered something similar when I first started. Iā€™m also somewhat of a spreadsheet jocky so between Excel and the lifting frequency I had a bit of pain for about 4 weeks into the program, my left shoulder hurt too. Iā€™m virtually pain-free at this point; I guess the body just needs time to adjust.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Christian, I have been following your HP priniciples for a few months now and have seen great gains. I now want to shed about 10-15 lbs of fat. Obviously diet has a lot to do with success however, what type of training would you recommend? Should I continue HP while adjusting weights when necessary or do something a little different?

My current week looks like this:

Mon:Upper performance
Tues:Upper performance
Wed: NC
Thur:Lower
Fri:Back/Biā€™s
Sat:rest
Sun:NC

Also if the goal is to drop that fat as fast as possible, could it be done in 4-6 weeks? I have never dropped fat before so I am a little lost.[/quote]

I cannot really answer your question but I can tell you about my experience with HPM and fat loss. I have been following the HPM routine pretty damn strict. One thing I do differently is sled work everyday, about 20-30 minutes, full body, pretty light weight done super explosive, maybe about 4-6 hours after the real workout, and whenever convenient on the NC days. At first I was doing this because sled work is just plain fun for me.

After a couple of weeks, I noticed that I am WAY leaner than I was when I started the program, but my weight is up 3lbs. Diet is pretty locked on of course, with pretty much no carbs after main workout. In almost 8 weeks I have had only had one pig out at Golden Corral, so take that into account because that may be the biggest thing that has gotten me to the level I am at. Keep in mind I am not even dieting. I am currently trying to gain muscle while just keeping bf the same.

CT

just changed my workout sets to 5x5 as read in one of your blogs. Just started supplementing
BCAAā€™s,but dont know when the best time to supplement them in to my workout. I normally train
early in the AM. Any suggestions? trying to shed 15 lbs. plese help. thx