Thib Gets Ripped

Okay, it’s that time of year again! Time to get inside-and-out shredded that is!

Last Saturday I initiated my plan to get back into contest condition. I may or may not compete (in bodybuilding) depending on how things go. I don’t doubt that I’ll get completely peeled, but I have several big things coming up that might make doing a competition more complicated. These things are:

1. Preparing my upcoming wedding (which will be on August 9th).

2. Starting an Olympic lifting team in Tahiti. After 2 years of discussion with them, it’s now official. So I’ll have to go there for a month in April and May to scout the potential, train the team and especially train coaches. Lots of potential there as those big Maories are simply huge and freaky strong. I’ll have to go again in September for their final prep.

3. Giving a series of international seminars. So far France and Mexico are pretty much sure things, we are also in discussion with Lebanon and Saudi Arabia/Dubai.

Anyway, I’ll still eat and train like I would if I were to do a contest (which would be in 24 weeks). So here it goes!

At my biggest I was 231lbs this year. That was a month ago. I was still pretty lean at that weight since I had full abs showing.

I did a pre-diet to get myself used to following a stricter regimen and dropped down to 220lbs in 3 weeks. Most of which was water weight. That’s where I started my official “preparation.”

My diet plan will be/is pretty repetitive. I do well on eating the same thing over and over, always have. I’m not a gourmet or food lover so I can tolerate bland food without a problem.

I will not do any cardio until my fat loss stalls. I don’t have much to lose anyway since I currently stand at 8% body fat. The president of the Quebec bodybuilding federation told me that in my condition I could be stage ready in 6 weeks. BUT I prefer to lean out a bit more slowly and stay lean for a longer period of time. I find that it tightens my skin more and gives me a better overall look.

However I will be careful about overdieting. Last time I dieted down for a competition I was 205lbs with striated glutes 6 weeks out of the show, but stepped on stage at 192 with much less definition because I lost too much muscle. This time, if I ever start to flatten out or lose strength I will add calories (mainly in the form of good fats) to my diet.

My “basic” diet plan will be as follow:

MEAL 1
3 whole omega 3 eggs,
1 scoop Grow! whey,
4 Flameout caps

MEAL 2 (post-workout)
2 scoops whey isolate,
10 caps Biotest BCAA’s
20g glutamine
10-20g glycine
10g creatine

MEAL 3
200g turkey,
1 tablespoon fish oil

MEAL 4
2 scoops Low-Carb Metabolic Drive,
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter

MEAL 5
200g turkey,
1 tablespoon macademia nut oil

MEAL 6 (before bed)
3 whole omega 3 eggs*
1 scoop Low-Carb Metabolic Drive
1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

• The eggs are mixed raw in the shake

My supplements (besides those included in the post-workout meal) will be:

• BETA-7 - 3 caps taken 3 times per day
  • Primal greens by Poliquin, once serving per day
  • Ultra HCL 3.0 by Poliquin with every solid protein meals
  • BEFORE BED: ZMA 1 serving, GABA 5g, Glycine 10g, 5-HTP 200mg, inositol 500mg, vitamin B3 15mg

The “before bed” stack is to promote relaxation, sleep and neural regeneration. When I’m on a low-carb diet I have a really hard time sleeping. And as we know, sleep is necessary for growth and lowering cortisol.

I think that we all know by now the benefits of ZMA on the quality of sleep and recovery, especially in individual deficient in zinc and magnesium; well I’m a sweaty pig so I lose a ton of these minerals every day.

GABA and glycine are inhibitor of the nervous system in that they promote relaxation and have a calming effect. They have also been shown to reduce anxiety and stress. For this reason both products promote restful sleep. GABA has also been shown to promote the release of growth hormone and glycine helps lower cortisol.

5-HTP can help increase the level of serotonin and thus can help fight insomnia, depression and narcolepsy. In other words it will help you relax. As an added benefit it seems to reduce carbohydrates cravings (you get carb cravings when serotonin levels are low since carbs raise serotonin) which is a nice benefit when on a low-carb diet.

Inositol and B3 facilitate the action of GABA via different pathways and thus make the stack a bit more effective.

I’m not taking HOT-ROX Extreme yet. It is a very powerful product and I prefer to keep it in my arsenal for when my fat loss will stall.

At the start of the diet/preparation my program will be fairly high in volume since my work capacity is still high. As the diet progresses it is likely that I will have to lower the training volume to accommodate a loss of energy (especially when cardio is introduced).

During this first phase I will focus my strength work on staying as strong as possible in the 6-8 reps range (striving to increase strength if possible) and I will add some metabolic work between sets.

Hey Thib, good luck with everything, especially if you decide/ have tiem to compete. I can’t wait until I get my weight up with the current diet you have Crew on. Because I would really like to maintain a low bf percentage year round… and keep it that way. Then just having to tweak everything depending on my goals! Congrats on everything else as well, seems like things are pretty good in life right now for ya!

Sounds like an ambitious year for you, CT.

My base program for the first phase looks like this. Understand that it is subject to changes depending on how I feel and if for some reason a certain exercise stops being effective (e.g. I don’t feel it right).

DAY 1. Back (my weak point so it’s done first in the week)
DAY 2. Chest
DAY 3. OFF
DAY 4. Legs and Shoulders (these are my two strong points, they require less work so I decided to put them together to get one more OFF day per week)
DAY 5. OFF
DAY 6. Biceps/Triceps
DAY 7. OFF

BASE BACK WORKOUT
A1. Straight arms pulldown/high pulley
4 x 6-8

A2. Speed straight arms pulldown/high with elastic band
4 x max reps in 30 seconds

There is no rest between A1 and A2, 60-90 seconds between sets

B1. Straight arms pulldown/low pulley
4 x 6-8

B1. Speed straigth-arms pulldown/low with elastic band
4 x max reps in 30 sec.

Rest = same as first superset

C. Rope lat pulldown
4 x 6-8

60-90 sec. rest

D. 1-arm DB rowing
4 x 6-8

60-90 sec. rest

• NOTE that I perform the isolation work for the lats first in the workout; this is because my arms tend of overpower my lats when I pull. By doing the SA pulldowns first I involve my back much more in the other exercises because I feel them better (enhanced feedback).

BASE CHEST WORKOUT
A1. Low-incline (30 degrees) bench press
4 x 6-8

A2. Push up hands on swiss ball
4 x max

No rest between A1 and A2., 60-90 sec. between sets

B1. Flat DB press
4 x 6-8

B2. Push up hands on two swiss balls
4 x max

Rest same as A1 and A2

C1. Cable cross-over
4 x 8-10

C1. Speed cross-over with elastic band
4 x max in 30 sec.

Rest same as two other supersets

D. DB flies
4 x 8-10 (3 sec. stretch at the bottom, 5 sec. eccentric)

BASE LEGS WORKOUT
A1. Back squat
4 x 6-8

A2. Speed bodyweight squats
4 x max reps

No rest between A1 and A2, 90-120 sec. between sets

B1. Lying leg curl
4 x 6-8

B2. Romanian deadlift
4 x 6-8

No rest between B1 and B2, 90-120 sec between sets

C. Leg extension
3 x 8-10 (3 sec. squeeze at the top)

BASE SHOULDERS WORKOUT
A1. Push press
4 x 6-8

A2. Seated DB shoulder press
4 x 8-10

A3. Seated DB lateral raise
4 x 12-15

No rest between A1, A2 and A3, 90-120 sec. between sets

BASE ARMS WORKOUT
A1. Wide-grip/elbows in preacher curl
4 x 6-8

A2. Speed curl with elastic band
4 x 30 sec.

No rest between A1 and A2, 45-60 sec. between sets

B1. Close-grip cable curl
4 x 6-8

B2. Speed curl with elastic band
4 x 30 sec.

Rest same as A1 and A2

C. Dumbbell hammer curl
4 x 6-8

D1. Close-grip bench press
4 x 6-8

D2. Push up hands on swiss ball, close
4 x max

Rest same as two other supersets

E. Decline DB triceps extension
4 x 6-8

[quote]kelleyb wrote:

[/quote]

It’s actually much worse than I made it sound!

I have to completely rewrite three instruction manuals used to give conferences to aspiring coaches; these are basically books. And I do still have clients and my work at T-Nation. :slight_smile: Hence the importance of the “sleep stack.”

Damn coach congrats on everything you have lined up for this year!!

At my gym we have a guy from Tahiti, he’s about 5 feet tall and insanely strong. Granted it helps a lot when your arms don’t move the weight very far haha darn short people always out lifting me!

Haha now the question is are you going to eat your own wedding cake??

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Damn coach congrats on everything you have lined up for this year!!

At my gym we have a guy from Tahiti, he’s about 5 feet tall and insanely strong. Granted it helps a lot when your arms don’t move the weight very far haha darn short people always out lifting me!

Haha now the question is are you going to eat your own wedding cake??[/quote]

Well there is this one guy from Tahiti in Quebec right now; we are working with him for several bodybuilding competitions. He turned pro last year. The guy is a monster. 6’2" 330 right now with abs! His contest weight is 290. He has some structural flaws and injuries we are trying to work around though. But he is a size freak for sure!

You can see his website at www.tuadexter.com

It’s in French but the gallery is enough to give you an idea!

As he told me when I asked about the potential in Tahiti, “Ah… everybody is big… my brother is much bigger than I am.” :slight_smile:

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Haha now the question is are you going to eat your own wedding cake??[/quote]

F**K yeah! IF I do my contest (there might be two) they would be 2-4 weeks before the wedding.

Anyway, I do have a cheat day each week.

To give you an idea, this is Oscar with Gunter right after the Olympia.

Good on you Thib (if I can call you that, seems a bit “personal”).

Our diets are somewhat similar (other than me weighing more, being 6’3 n all) and I’m nearing the end of my 4th week. Currently sub 10%, but still have 7 weeks to go (excluding a 1 week rest to kick-start my metabolism, as I stop loosing fat after 6 weeks).

Just interested, I remember when you first mentioned the taiti thing. How did you manage to end up with that? Must be good money (to help you in your new life of marriage).

Also, do you plan to do a seminar here in the UK? (preferbly London.Nobody cares about the rest :slight_smile: )

[quote]Omega_Red wrote:

Just interested, I remember when you first mentioned the taiti thing. How did you manage to end up with that? Must be good money (to help you in your new life of marriage).

[/quote]

I work for an organization called Coach Export. They give formation/seminars to trainers from Quebec. The owner of the organization is also the president of the Quebec bodybuilding federation and has a lot of contacts around the world.

A few years ago he worked to export his certification program to other countries such as Mexico and Tahiti. He travels there 2-3 times a year to give conferences. Technically that’s my job, but I never had the time.

The thing is that the guys from Tahiti know that I’m a former Olympic lifter and they have been wanting to start a program for a long time and always asked me to go there, but never had the time.

This year, the situation is pretty good so I agreed to go there for a short while to initiate the program.

It is an ideal situation since:

1. There are tons of freaks there.
  2. Powerlifting, Olympic lifting and bodybuilding are actually headed by the same federation and are government sponsored.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
To give you an idea, this is Oscar with Gunter right after the Olympia.[/quote]

Holy crap his chest makes Gunter’s look small! I bet Gunter wasn’t expecting to see someone larger than him after the O!

Omega_Red wrote:

I work for an organization called Coach Export. They give formation/seminars to trainers from Quebec. The owner of the organization is also the president of the Quebec bodybuilding federation and has a lot of contacts around the world.

A few years ago he worked to export his certification program to other countries such as Mexico and Tahiti. He travels there 2-3 times a year to give conferences. Technically that’s my job, but I never had the time.

The thing is that the guys from Tahiti know that I’m a former Olympic lifter and they have been wanting to start a program for a long time and always asked me to go there, but never had the time.

This year, the situation is pretty good so I agreed to go there for a short while to initiate the program.

It is an ideal situation since:

1. There are tons of freaks there.
  2. Powerlifting, Olympic lifting and bodybuilding are actually headed by the same federation and are government sponsored.[/quote]

Government funded? Lucky (and freaky) bastards.

Weren’t you doing the same thing in Dubai?

CrewPierce wrote:

F**K yeah! IF I do my contest (there might be two) they would be 2-4 weeks before the wedding.

Anyway, I do have a cheat day each week.[/quote]

Thib, what does a cheat day for you look like?

Do you limit calories at all?

Do you still ensure about 1.5 grams of protein per pound?

Does it get higher in calories as you get leaner?

Do you limit dairy, grains, and other potential cortisol releasing foods?

CrewPierce wrote:

Anyway, I do have a cheat day each week.[/quote]

You have a cheat day each week while on your diet for cutting up?.. and obviously its a cheat day and you will be eating some foods you would normally be avoiding, but is there certain foods that you definitely do not touch, like deep fried shit for example?

[quote]ovalpline wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Thib, what does a cheat day for you look like?

Do you limit calories at all?

Do you still ensure about 1.5 grams of protein per pound?

Does it get higher in calories as you get leaner?

Do you limit dairy, grains, and other potential cortisol releasing foods?

[/quote]

Right now I only have one cheat meal per week. I might bump it to half a day as I get leaner though.

What does it looks like? I like burger and fries or sometimes some pastries.

Since it’s only one meal, it’s kinda hard to cheat with more than 1200-1500 calories.

[quote]Italiano wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

You have a cheat day each week while on your diet for cutting up?.. and obviously its a cheat day and you will be eating some foods you would normally be avoiding, but is there certain foods that you definitely do not touch, like deep fried shit for example?
[/quote]

I never liked deep fried things. I’m somewhat of a sugar bug; but the more I use a low-carb approach, the less I crave sugar and I often end up eating a burger with fries.

And I only have one meal.

BTW, after doing some reading I decided to add 3000mg of evening primrose oil to my diet.

BTW, after doing some reading I decided to add 3000mg of evening primrose oil to my diet.[/quote]

Reason being? (besides its rosie hue and flavor?)

kelleyb wrote:

It’s actually much worse than I made it sound!

I have to completely rewrite three instruction manuals used to give conferences to aspiring coaches; these are basically books. And I do still have clients and my work at T-Nation. :slight_smile: Hence the importance of the “sleep stack.”[/quote]

You should do a seminar teaching time management :wink: