Thiago Alves

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
slimjim wrote:

You don’t think the strength and size advantage Alves was playing with helped him stop Hughes’ takedown attempts?

BJ Penn has the best TD defense I have ever seen, and he is (despite what you may have heard or think) not very physically strong. He has amazing technique, and when someone has great technique they feel much stronger than they are on the mat.

This is something you experience early on if you have every done a grappling sport. Alves did stop a few takedowns, but it’s not like Hughes has been taking everyone down recently. He couldn’t take BJ or GSP down, and he had way too much trouble against Chris Lytle IMHO, a guy he should have destroyed and finished.

Hughes DID take Alves down, and did absolutely nothing to hurt him. If you are going to fight a great striker, you have to hurt him when it hits the mat because they can knock you out at any time standing. [/quote]

That was the biggest non-answer I’ve seen in awhile. Do you really believe Alves’ strength advantage did not help him in their fight?

BJ is pretty strong for his size. Maybe not quite ‘gym’ strong in the sense that he can lift a lot of weight, but I’ve seen him actually hip toss Cabbage (the fighter) from the clinch. You can argue technique and whatnot, but it still takes a bit of strength to throw someone who outweighs you by 60-70 lbs (BJ was moving up in weight at the time.)

But that’s neither here nor there. Your argument that technique and cardio is the biggest keys to success in MMA holds true only because there are weight classes. The reason they have weight classes is because size and strength do matter, without weightclasses, the huge guys (hws) would win 90% of the time.

Alves literally shoved Hughes off of him at one point when Hughes took an ill-advised shot from the outside. A weaker fighter would not have been able to do that.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
chitown34 wrote:
slimjim wrote:

You don’t think the strength and size advantage Alves was playing with helped him stop Hughes’ takedown attempts?

BJ Penn has the best TD defense I have ever seen, and he is (despite what you may have heard or think) not very physically strong. He has amazing technique, and when someone has great technique they feel much stronger than they are on the mat.

This is something you experience early on if you have every done a grappling sport. Alves did stop a few takedowns, but it’s not like Hughes has been taking everyone down recently. He couldn’t take BJ or GSP down, and he had way too much trouble against Chris Lytle IMHO, a guy he should have destroyed and finished.

Hughes DID take Alves down, and did absolutely nothing to hurt him. If you are going to fight a great striker, you have to hurt him when it hits the mat because they can knock you out at any time standing.

That was the biggest non-answer I’ve seen in awhile. Do you really believe Alves’ strength advantage did not help him in their fight?

BJ is pretty strong for his size. Maybe not quite ‘gym’ strong in the sense that he can lift a lot of weight, but I’ve seen him actually hip toss Cabbage (the fighter) from the clinch. You can argue technique and whatnot, but it still takes a bit of strength to throw someone who outweighs you by 60-70 lbs (BJ was moving up in weight at the time.)

But that’s neither here nor there. Your argument that technique and cardio is the biggest keys to success in MMA holds true only because there are weight classes. The reason they have weight classes is because size and strength do matter, without weightclasses, the huge guys (hws) would win 90% of the time.

Alves literally shoved Hughes off of him at one point when Hughes took an ill-advised shot from the outside. A weaker fighter would not have been able to do that.

[/quote]

Again, you help my case by mentioning how he threw someone 60 lbs heavier than him with relative ease. BJ Penn does not have beastly strength, but his technique is so good that he is able to use his body very efficiently. I have wrestled, trained judo, and bjj for years and I can tell you from experience that how strong someone feels does not have a great deal to do with how strong they look or how much they lift. I have been thrown on my head by a 150 lb woman (I weighed around 195 at the time). Did she toss me b/c she was stronger? Of course not. She tossed me because she had been training judo since she was 5 years old, was on Japanese national team, and had a huge technique advantage.

With Alves and Hughes, we are not talking about 50 lbs. Alves weighed in 4 lbs heavier, and Hughes himself has said that he often weighs in the high 180’s by his fight the next day. Alves didn’t stuff Hughes’ takedowns because he is THAT much stronger. He stuffed Hughes’ takedowns because he knew that’s all Hughes would go for when standing up. Every time Hughes got in close, he wasn’t worried about a hook to the face, he was focused on stuffing the shot, and it is very hard to make a successful shoot when the other guy is anticipating it.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
humble wrote:
in his interviews, his excuse was a badly sprained ankle days out hence limiting his training and losing the last 4 pounds. Also why he had it heavily taped up.

Dunno… possible.

Which was why he was unable to leap and make that flying knee and put plenty of pressure on it otherwise. [/quote]

Well a few days before a fight and the day of the fight are different things.

If you’ve ever had a sprained ankle, depending on how you treat it, you can recover from it pretty well pretty quickly, providing you aren’t aggravating it which cutting would of done. So his excuse is still plausible.

In any case, despite his 4 pounds, Matt agreed on the fight.

In the end, no excuses, not even from us commentators if a fighter willingly accepts a fight.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
slimjim wrote:
chitown34 wrote:
slimjim wrote:

Hughes DID take Alves down, and did absolutely nothing to hurt him. If you are going to fight a great striker, you have to hurt him when it hits the mat because they can knock you out at any time standing.

Again, you help my case by mentioning how he threw someone 60 lbs heavier than him with relative ease. BJ Penn does not have beastly strength, but his technique is so good that he is able to use his body very efficiently. I have wrestled, trained judo, and bjj for years and I can tell you from experience that how strong someone feels does not have a great deal to do with how strong they look or how much they lift. I have been thrown on my head by a 150 lb woman (I weighed around 195 at the time). Did she toss me b/c she was stronger? Of course not. She tossed me because she had been training judo since she was 5 years old, was on Japanese national team, and had a huge technique advantage.

With Alves and Hughes, we are not talking about 50 lbs. Alves weighed in 4 lbs heavier, and Hughes himself has said that he often weighs in the high 180’s by his fight the next day. Alves didn’t stuff Hughes’ takedowns because he is THAT much stronger. He stuffed Hughes’ takedowns because he knew that’s all Hughes would go for when standing up. Every time Hughes got in close, he wasn’t worried about a hook to the face, he was focused on stuffing the shot, and it is very hard to make a successful shoot when the other guy is anticipating it.[/quote]

First of all, I’m glad you have wrestled, practiced judo, and done BJJ for years. On my first day of BJJ I could submit guys who had done jiu jitsu for years, not because of my skill, but because of my strength and size advantage.

I only shared that part about BJ to highlight the fact that he is a poor example of someone who looks weak and utilizes only skill, when he is in fact very strong. Obviously the biggest part of BJ’s game is his technique, but that would be relatively useless if he was not strong enough to utilize it.

Alves, on the other hand, looks diesel and fights like it as well. If Alves did not have a strength advantage, Hughes would’ve been able to muscle him down and hold him down. Instead he got one takedown and was ineffectual on the ground both because of Alves’ technique and strength.

Did Hughes beat Royce Gracie because he possessed more experience and skill in BJJ?

fyi i know this thread broke down into a different argument but i wasn’t saying shit other than the fact that he’s big.

so no subtle subcontext just…damn he’s big lol

alves served a suspenion for testing positive for a diuretic earlier in his career also.

Not sure what you’re getting at but yea thats for cutting weight though… I really could care less about that.

Alves does seem big. I wouldn’t be surprised if I was told he was walking around 200 pounds.

At his height though WW is where he should be.

Though Paulo Filho is 5’8 and fights at MW. Filho is a pretty thick guy also. Arona also.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
fyi i know this thread broke down into a different argument but i wasn’t saying shit other than the fact that he’s big.

so no subtle subcontext just…damn he’s big lol[/quote]

It depends on how one carries it as well

My mate is 5’10 and looks like the t-man figure. Mr Australia saw him without his shirt once when he was getting changed and his eyes popped out of his skull and came up to him telling him how much potential he had.

He weighs a measly 72 Kg though. Looks at least 10-15 kg heavier.

Very light bones I suppose and very lean.

Some people are just genetically gifted in areas.

I’m 100kg equivalent to what some bbers compete at yet I look scrawny next to them.

I’ve got very heavy and dense bones though.

Even the guys I fight look way more tanked than me despite being almost the same height.

Sure he’s big but that could be optical illusion too as in his proportions and symmetry make him look bigger.

[quote]humble wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:

so no subtle subcontext just…damn he’s big lol

It depends on how one carries it as well

My mate is 5’10 and looks like the t-man figure. Mr Australia saw him without his shirt once when he was getting changed and his eyes popped out of his skull and came up to him telling him how much potential he had.

He weighs a measly 72 Kg though. Looks at least 10-15 kg heavier.

Very light bones I suppose and very lean.

Some people are just genetically gifted in areas.

I’m 100kg equivalent to what some bbers compete at yet I look scrawny next to them.

I’ve got very heavy and dense bones though.

Even the guys I fight look way more tanked than me despite being almost the same height.

Sure he’s big but that could be optical illusion too as in his proportions and symmetry make him look bigger.

[/quote]

I don’t know about the whole light and dense bone theory. I don’t think that makes sense. I don’t think the difference in bone density is THAT much.

I think the amount of weight bodybuilders need to cut to be in contest shape is much more than the amount of weight fighters cut to fight in their weight classes. I also doubt that a fighter could lose the amount of weight a bodybuilder does and be able to fight a mma match.

If bones have any relevance to fighters it is their frame. Wrist size, fist size for example. They used to measure boxers this way. Ankle circumference, foot size, thigh, reach etc. For example I have read that most HW boxing champs in history have had no less than 12 inch fists. I don’t know how they measure this though. Coaches can generally measure up guys and say what weight class they should be in. Height is a big factor. As well as I guess the fighter’s frame. Some guys are surprised thinking they are HWs but a coach says they are a MW.

Also I think if a guy weighs the same as a bodybuilder yet looks much smaller, it isn’t because his bones are so much more dense. I think he just carrying much more fat than the bodybuilder.

really same day weigh ins would get rid of all this shit.

for chitown34, just like u said :

http://www.matt-hughes.com/

Well, I didn�??t think I�??d come back writing something up after a loss. I fully expected to win, things didn�??t go my way. Thiago came in big, some people told me that he looked bigger than me in the octagon. I didn�??t expect that but I also think that had nothing to do with the outcome of the fight. I think Thiago came up with a good game plan. He didn�??t throw too many punches or any kicks to where I could take him down. He was stronger than I thought and he was quite defensive on the ground

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Not sure what you’re getting at but yea thats for cutting weight though… I really could care less about that.[/quote]

you dont care if a fighter is using an illegal substance too fight physically smaller fighters?

^touche