Silver and Steel

Got my next 6 weeks in place. I have a basic thought process for the first half of the year, but we’ll see how things shake out and where I need to adjust.

Legs!

In: 5 minutes spin bike

1. Lying Leg Curl
    40/12
    70/8
    100/4
    130/10
    130/10 + 100/6 + 10 partials

2. SSB Squat
    Bar + light (doubled) chains/10
    135c (that’s clever for + chains)/6
    185c/4
    225c/10 x 2

3. V-Squat
    1pps/10
    2pps/10 + 6 + 3
    This wrecked my lower back. Probably not a keeper

4. RDL
    3-second eccentric, pause at bottom
    135/10

5. BSS drop set of death
    30/8+8s + 15/8+8s + BW/8+8s

6. Seated Calves
    1pps/10 + 8 + 6
    1pps/8 + 5 + 4

Looking amazing! Damn these beefy arms! How big are they?

I can see one cannot stray too far away from the Meadows… He was supposed to release an athletic program combining explosive stuff like French contrast and his training philosophies but it was postponed (at least) because of this year’s events and what happened to him… I think we would have loved it!

1 Like

Thanks man! I really appreciate it.
I have no clue how big my arms are. I can blow them up relatively quickly, though. That’s my genetic gift for sure.

I love the Meadows stuff. I always come back. It’s the easiest programs for me to really push myself on. I’m definitely curious about his athletic stuff whenever he releases it. Timing might be great - I always feel like doing that stuff around August when I pretend some NFL team might call me to camp.

1 Like

Nailed it once again today. This exercise thing is way easy when I’m not going to work.

Chest & Cannonballs

In: 10 minutes incline treadmill

1. DB Bench
    30/20
    45/12
    65/8
    80/4
    95/8
    95/9 + 65/8

2. Bench
    135/8
    185/8
    195/8
    Wow I was smoked from the DBs!

3. Machine Flye
    90/10 + 5 + 3

4. Dips
    BW/12 x 3

5. Rear Delt Machine
    80/20 x 3

6. DB Side Raise Partials
    30/20 x 3
    I’m not sure I was moving the weights much by the end there

7. Prone Incline Y Raise
    10/15 x 2

8. Ab Machine
    4 sets

5 Likes

Back

In: 10 minutes incline treadmill

1. HS Row
    1pps/10
    1.25pps/6
    2pps/12
    2.25pps/10

2. Pull-ups
    BW/10
    BW/8
    BW/6

3. Nautilus Pullover
    50/6
    100/8 x 2

4. MAG Neutral Pulldown
    100/4
    130/8 x 2

5. Prone Incline DB Row
    30/6
    50/12
    60/9 + 40/7

6. Hyperextensions
    BW/17 x 2

7. Leg Raise
    BW/10 x 4

3 Likes

The last workout of 2020 was, appropriately, arms.

1. Superset (3 rounds)
  • Fat Grip Rope Pushdown
  • Drag Curls
  1. Superset (3 rounds)
  • Straight Bar Pushdown
  • HS Preacher Curl
  1. Superset (3 rounds)
  • DB Skullcrusher
  • Seated Hammer Curl
  1. Standing Calf
    4 sets of 10 + 10 partials + 10s stretch

Cardio: 30 minutes elliptical while watching Vikings - made the time fly!

5 Likes

I used to do this at the gym. Their fancy machines have Netflix on them. I really need a good distraction to do cardio on a machine.

2 Likes

Same here. That’s pretty slick to have Netflix in the equipment! I feel like I can convince myself to do cardio for longer if it’s an opportunity to watch these shows

2 Likes

And that my son is the key to cardio

1 Like

Got a ridiculous wild hair and did another Alsruhe workout this morning… because @alex_uk didn’t do his job and talk me out of it; my hurt back and bruised ego are on you, sir!

1. Conditioning
  • 35m yoke walks at 255# EMOM x 10 minutes.
    I had no idea what weight to use, so I just threw a couple plates on. This was far too light, but it was snowing and cold enough my hands hurt so it was still manly.
  1. Build
  • Trap Bar Deadlift
    The bar weights 60, so maybe I’ll get the math right below:
    150/3
    240/2
    330/1
    400/1
  1. Strength (3 rounds)
  • 5 Squat Jumps
  • Trap DL:
    350/5
    330/7
    310/9
  • 1:00 Plank
  1. Assistance (5 rounds)
  • 30 seconds 135# RDL
  • 30 seconds 135# Front Squat - because I loathe quad hypertrophy
  • 30 seconds Inverted Rows
  • 30 seconds Rest

I don’t know if I’ll do something like this tomorrow or just go back to my regularly scheduled programming. I feel tough while I do it, which I like, but the drawbacks remain: it beats me up (which is going to get worse as my calories drop, but that’s not a concern yet), it’s not “fun” in the same way as the other stuff, and you have to choose between difficult to set up or not using the exact movements you want. I do think his stuff is super smart and I like the guy a lot, it just might not be a fit for my goals.

4 Likes

Haha good man, keep it up, you’ll smash the transformation if you do!

Hope that one a joke?

Definitely the most important thing, ignore everything else.

What are your goals looking like at the minute?

1 Like

We shall see what I do. I’m undecided at the moment, but I’m likely to get back up to my old tricks.

I broke maimed vertebrae and ruptured some discs a long time ago. It’s not a big deal now, but some of these “tougher” workouts I just have to be careful with. I can feel fine at the time, but then be pretty uncomfortable later.

Right now I want to keep up my cardio, bench 300, and get down to 190. When I read that list, it does sound like Alsruhe’s stuff is the way to go. It’s my wussiness that’s in the way.

Anyway, you missed my whole post! You’re supposed to be talking me out of, not into, this nonsense.

1 Like

Dig the new log title :+1:

1 Like

Thanks!

Anyway, back to my old tricks today… come at me, bro!

Chest & Shoulders

1. DB Incline
    30/15
    45/10
    60/6
    75/4
    85/8
    95/8

2. Incline
    135/6
    185/8
    195/8

3. Stretch Push-ups
    BW/~18 x 3

4. Superset:

• Dips
    BW/15 x 3
  • Bent DB Rear Delt
    20/20 x 3
  1. Prone Incline DB Y Raise
    15/10 x 3

2. Machine Shoulder Press
    100/8
    120/5
    100/8

Cardio: 10 minutes incline treadmill

3 Likes

I don’t think I ever heard anyone get beat up by push/pull/legs. You do you, man!

I like the idea of Brian’s stuff but the best way to do them is in a CF or strongman gym. My basement just won’t allow it. Yes, I know I can modify and substitute but by the time I finish doing that, it’s just not the same program.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Exactly right. Most of the fun is in doing all the crazy barbell and jumping stuff.

I just don’t handle the focus on specific lifts that well anymore either. So like today I had intended to do overhead pressing, but my back didn’t want to. It’s just to get a little more shoulder burn, so a machine was fine. In some of these other programs, if I don’t feel like doing a basic lift, the program doesn’t make sense anymore. I recognize that’s a me problem and not a program flaw, but it’s still there.

1 Like

Flesh wounds at best matey :flushed::joy:

1 Like

Right you are, but nothing can fix my spelling on my phone

1 Like

If you can’t do alsruhe programs you’re no bro of mine!

Nah love you really. It really is about what gels with you I tried a mountain dog program and it just didn’t work with my mentality, it would definitely get me closer to the way I want to look but I can’t endure the way the workouts/days run for some reason (well I get about 4 weeks in then quit)

2 Likes

Bromeister - come on!

I totally agree about do whatever gels. I don’t even know if you would significantly benefit from the mountain dog - I’m getting to the point where I think most of us will look like better or worse versions of us. That obviously changes when we get to a bodybuilding stage, and you can see it on guys that lean, but the other 99% of the time it’s probably small enough differences from training modalities (within reason) as to be unnoticeable.

Anyway, I burn out on stuff I don’t love quick too. For whatever reason I can also typically power through CT programs; at least the older ones like “look like a bodybuilder” and “6 weeks to superhero”.

3 Likes