These Cops Are Crazy

There is this thing known as a “god complex”. Some PO’s think that there are citizens with this complex. If you are well to do, independant and strong willed you will fall into this category.

In many case the PO accusing a citizen of a “god complex” has a “god complex” thats several times larger.

Many times PO’s end up taking a pleasure in knowing they can inflict harm and punishment on citizens with little fear of retrubution.

A “god complex” is a problem for PO’s as well, but it has always been there and probably always will be.

I’ve never heard that before. I know a lot of cops, and we talk about the job often because I’m currently in the process of becoming one, and I’ve never heard the term “God Complex” in any of our conversations. Sidewalk Lawyer, on the other hand…

[quote]djrobins wrote:
There is this thing known as a “god complex”. Some PO’s think that there are citizens with this complex. If you are well to do, independant and strong willed you will fall into this category.

In many case the PO accusing a citizen of a “god complex” has a “god complex” thats several times larger.

Many times PO’s end up taking a pleasure in knowing they can inflict harm and punishment on citizens with little fear of retrubution.

A “god complex” is a problem for PO’s as well, but it has always been there and probably always will be.[/quote]

[quote]NDM wrote:
My comment wasn’t directed at you nephorm. It was an observation that I’ve made after reading threads similar to this one.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know… but I know I come off as a bit of an anachronistic dumbass with these types of posts, so I feel compelled to give some sort of context.

Video is inconclusive at best. Based on it alone, it does look bad. It’s important to separate emotion from rational argument though. I think the fact that he screams like a little bitch makes harder to analyze without emotion.

I read a few witness accounts and I got a different perspective.

I heard that they do routine and systematic ID checks at the library. It was past 10, which is when I think they restrict access to students and faculty only.

This kid is a 4th year student. He obviously knows about the student ID checks. He apparently had his ID, but refused to show it to library workers or campus security, who are considered to be on the lenient side and have a very good reputation. The campus security guys (who are just students?) informed him they would call the UCPD who are also considered quite lenient. It’s one thing to say “I’m sorry, I forgot my ID (which he didn’t since he had his ID on him)” and it’s another to say “no” and act like an asshole.

Bottom line: I think the kid wanted to make a scene.

That “patriot act” thing is complete bullshit and has absolutely nothing to do with this (but I think every rational poster realizes this). He refused to comply even though he was asked over and over to do so. When he started making a scene people started crowding around.

The situation became more urgent for the cops since large crowds are generally stupid and people don’t like authority. The kids demanding the officers’ badge number did not help. The cop were busy.

They could have gotten information after the altercation or the next day from the police department. Suddenly you have an angry mob against two officers.

As far as using a taser, I don’t think they ever used the prongs. It wasn’t set to max. I understand (correct me if I’m wrong) that depending on the voltage used, it causes temporary paralysis and once you stop the current, you regain motor skills and are quite pain free.

If this kid managed to writhe around and spew abuse at the cops before and after being tasered, I think he had ability to comply and “get up” or at the very least (if he couldn’t move for whatever reason" tell the cops “I can’t move/I can’t get up”.

Although painful, the taser doesn’t cause permanent damage at submaximal voltage. He would have woken up the next day feeling a lot better than if he had been dragged out or manhandled. That’s my nonexpert opinion.

He was given more than one opportunity to show his ID/leave by library staff, campus security, and police and refused. He verbally abused the cops. He got what he was looking for (attention) and got what he deserved.

By the way, I heard he plans on suing the UCPD or file some lawsuit based on discrimination (and NOT excessive force or the way he was dealt with). I don’t know if this is true though.

What happened to hog tying and carrying him out rather than asking him 100 times to get up and tasering him a few times?

If the person is handcuffed, there is no reason to taser him, just to “get up.”

[quote]PGA wrote:
What happened to hog tying and carrying him out rather than asking him 100 times to get up and tasering him a few times?

If the person is handcuffed, there is no reason to taser him, just to “get up.”[/quote]

Hog tying people has given people in custody heart attacks and it is no longer in practice.

The guy could have easily gotten up after being tasered anyway. It only hurts for 5 seconds. It’s not like getting a beatdown with a baton or getting sprayed with OC. That shit burns for over half an hour and a barrage of batons smoking you can hurt for a VERY long time. They can break bones. Watch this video:

As you can see, the volunteer is doing JUST FINE after the voltage is removed. The taser just looks bad.

the most disturbing thing about the video, is near the end. another student ask the police a random question like “his badge number” or the like, and the cop responds with, “do you want to get tasered too?”

to me that that screams, im abusing my power.

[quote]NDM wrote:
PGA wrote:

Hog tying people has given people in custody heart attacks and it is no longer in practice. [/quote]

Moe - “Well shit Hank, we can’t be hog tying him on account of him having a heart attack and all… lets just shock the shit out of him repeatedly with this here tazer.”

Hank - “Couldn’t we just carry him out?”

Moe - “That is a silly idea, get out your tazer boy!”

[quote]Shaved wrote:
NDM wrote:
PGA wrote:

Hog tying people has given people in custody heart attacks and it is no longer in practice.

Moe - “Well shit Hank, we can’t be hog tying him on account of him having a heart attack and all… lets just shock the shit out of him repeatedly with this here tazer.”

[/quote]

ITs a combination of that guy being a dick and the cops sick of putting up with dickheads. If its your job to deal with assholes all day, you probably have little patience for them after a while. i’m sure someone will say…its their job, but no human being is totally unemotional.

That guy was just making a scene, he should have left when he was asked. I’m sure if Mr canadian or american went to Iran and started some shit, tasered would be the best thing that could happen to you.

The point is that is probably isn’t procedure to hog tie someone. I’m not 100% sure, but I think hog tying a human being is considered by law to be cruel and unusual. As a cop, you do what you have to do (within your authority) to handle a situation.

He wasn’t physically damaged from what I could see. Ya ya ya, he got a shock. The taser doesn’t deliver any current, so there really isn’t any danger.

Don’t be so quick to judge people based on an inconclusive video that was shot from a biased viewpoint. Yea, you can hear the guy saying “I’m leaving, I’m leaving!”, but you don’t actually see him make any effort to leave. I know that if I was getting zapped, I would make an effort to do what they said and get the fuck out.

If you heard the cops yelling “Stop resisting, stop resisting!!” would it change your opinion on this matter?

That’s a scary situation for those officers. They were surrounded by a bunch of angry college students. They probably wanted to get the guy out of there before the crowd got ballsy.

The superiors or these UCLA cops will decide whether or not it was justified, and they may or may not be charged.

[quote]Shaved wrote:
NDM wrote:
PGA wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]NDM wrote:

That’s a scary situation for those officers. They were surrounded by a bunch of angry college students. They probably wanted to get the guy out of there before the crowd got ballsy.

[/quote]

The college students were angry because the cops were repeatedly shocking a student who was not fighting them. The cops created the scary situation. They took a situation with a dumbass student lying on the ground and turned it into a near riot.

Seriously, how hard is it to carry someone out?

[quote]baretta wrote:
Shaved wrote:
NDM wrote:
PGA wrote

ITs a combination of that guy being a dick and the cops sick of putting up with dickheads. If its your job to deal with assholes all day, you probably have little patience for them after a while. i’m sure someone will say…its their job, but no human being is totally unemotional.

[/quote]

It’s their job. If they don’t have the constitution for such a job, then they should apply elsewhere.

So it’s ok for someone to use violence if they are fed up with bullshit? That is basically what you are saying. On that note, I backhanded my girlfriend yesterday. It was a combination of her being a bitch and me having to deal with bitches every day. She must have had it coming.

(I of course didn’t hit her)

[quote]NDM wrote:
[/quote]

So then you pick the fucking kid up and get him out of there. If they were afraid of their saftey they wouldnt have said “get up” 100 times.

Since we are on the topic, this is something everyone should watch from time to time.

2 things will come of this.

Either A, people will have their ID with them, and be willing to show it at 10 o clock.

Or B, the next time that officers feel like tasering someone that is already handcuffed, then the officers will have a riot on their hands.

I noticed the cops fingering their pistols several times in the video. I also noticed and asian and an african American cop. I am suprised that no one has ever claimed racially motivated abuse of power when its a white victim, and a minority group of cops. (albeit this situation was obviously not racially motivated)

Maybe they were telling him to get up so they didn’t have to wrestle with him. I’m not sure. I wasn’t there, and neither were you. The video is shit, and neither “side” can be proven.

I don’t try to justify cops abusing their authority. Those individuals should have their badges revoked. I’m just saying that this video doesn’t conclude to anything really. A kid was tasered. He was resisting. Failure to leave a premises after you have been asked to leave is an unlawful action which may lead to an arrest, and if you resist that arrest, you are breaking another law.

There was an episode of COPS that had a very similar situation. Some guy refused to leave a bar, the police told him at least 15 times to leave, and finally they sprayed him and hit him a few times with a baton. They were justified in doing so. No one has to actually commit an act of violence for police to use violence. If they feel that there is the potential for a subject to harm them, anyone else, or himself, they can use force.

Maybe these cops did abuse their power? Maybe they didn’t? If they did, then they should be punished accordingly. And trust me, no one hates dirty cops more, than cops.

[quote]PGA wrote:
NDM wrote:

So then you pick the fucking kid up and get him out of there. If they were afraid of their saftey they wouldnt have said “get up” 100 times.[/quote]

[quote]NDM wrote:
Maybe they were telling him to get up so they didn’t have to wrestle with him. I’m not sure. I wasn’t there, and neither were you. The video is shit, and neither “side” can be proven.

I don’t try to justify cops abusing their authority. Those individuals should have their badges revoked. I’m just saying that this video doesn’t conclude to anything really. A kid was tasered. He was resisting. Failure to leave a premises after you have been asked to leave is an unlawful action which may lead to an arrest, and if you resist that arrest, you are breaking another law.

There was an episode of COPS that had a very similar situation. Some guy refused to leave a bar, the police told him at least 15 times to leave, and finally they sprayed him and hit him a few times with a baton. They were justified in doing so. No one has to actually commit an act of violence for police to use violence. If they feel that there is the potential for a subject to harm them, anyone else, or himself, they can use force.

Maybe these cops did abuse their power? Maybe they didn’t? If they did, then they should be punished accordingly. And trust me, no one hates dirty cops more, than cops.
[/quote]

How can you resist arrest lying on your stomach with arms handcuffed behind your back?

I can understand tasering to get someone into cuffs but to taser someone because they didnt get up? Please…

[quote]Shaved wrote:
Since we are on the topic, this is something everyone should watch from time to time.

- YouTube [/quote]

I prefer this one: