T Nation

Thermogenic Problems, HOT-ROX Question

I have been training with a female for 2 years now. She is 5’7, 145 lbs and around 15%, abs were visible in the 1st year we trained together. After about a year, out of nowhere, she suddenly puts on 10 lbs in 2 months and starts asking me what we are doing wrong? I couldn’t figure it out. I asked her if she had changed anything & she tells me she had been on a thermogenic made by EAS for over a year and had recently quit taking them. When she told me this I made her stay off of them, knowing she had to have done damage to herself & warned her about pro-longed use having ill affects.

Over the next 2 months the weight she put on would NOT come off! The 10 lbs appeared very bloated, almost like water weight. She lost her abs & cottage cheese set in on her thighs. As you can imagine, this was very depressing for a female fitness enthusiast. She was well on her way to doing a Figure Competition, but not now.

Regular doctors told her she was “stressed out” and her thyroid blood panels came back just fine (we had all 3 done). A wellness doctor told her that her adrenal glands were shot & that she had an auto-immune disease called Hashemoto’s, plus Anemic blood and digestive tract problems. Basically the whole gammit of things you don’t want to happen.

This past year they’ve tried everything. All sorts of “natural remedies” and herbs and concoctions, nasty liquid drinks, the whole 9 yards. They tried whatever they could think of to get the adrenal glands functioning back to normal and nothing works. So I said “Hey, since they are all just PRACTICING medicine on you, why don’t you try some HOT-ROX and see what happens? If the adrenals are already shot and nothing is working to get them back, what’s the worst that could happen”?

One month on HOT-ROX, lost 10 lbs, abs are coming back into view. Now the bottle is running out and we’re wondering what to do next? She certainly doesn’t want to blow back up…what do you guys think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]Viets wrote:

One month on HOT-ROX, lost 10 lbs, abs are coming back into view. Now the bottle is running out and we’re wondering what to do next? She certainly doesn’t want to blow back up…what do you guys think?

[/quote]

Buy another bottle of HOT-ROX? Am I missing something, or is this not the logical response?

If she doesn’t want to lose further weight, lower the daily dosage. Perhaps cut it in half and see how she responds.

It makes sense for her to cycle off at least 2 weeks after every bottle.

However, she may want to wean herself for regular use of such products and save them for when it’s time to focus on fat loss.

[quote]JN7844 wrote:

[quote]Viets wrote:

[/quote]

Buy another bottle of HOT-ROX? Am I missing something, or is this not the logical response?

If she doesn’t want to lose further weight, lower the daily dosage. Perhaps cut it in half and see how she responds.[/quote]

I think the fear is that another bottle of HOT-ROX will just start the cycle over again. It’s not intended for constant use.

As JN said, you should lower the dosage on the HOT-ROX. I think you should go ahead and get another bottle, maybe along with Se7en and Carbolin 19. Maintain the HOT-ROX dosage for a week, then remove one pill per day for the next week and see if the unwanted weight comes back. If it does, experiment with the Se7en and Carbolin 19 to see if that helps keep that extra weight off. I believe those two supplements safe for near-constant use.

Well, the wellness doctor is a total quack, as Hashimoto’s would affect your friend’s thyroid tests.

Other folks seem to have good suggestions.

This sounds very similar to a female friend of mine (although she was never close to being a figure athlete).

However, the HOT-ROX leave her feeling tired, and thus not wanting to workout. She’s pretty sensitive to stuff, and we’d rather avoid just taking caffeine on top of HOT-ROX. Can anyone recommend anything for to stack for energy/increased fat burning?

I’d sort of like to have three months or so of really knocking the weight of/building composition on her, and then be able to drop the HOT-ROX and other fat-burning/energy sups all together, as they don’t leave her feeling all that great and unfortunately they become a crutch more than a tool for her.

She’s one of those who if she could, she’d take the magic pill and eat crap all day long at this point. But aesthetics are importaint enough that right now she’s seriously trying. So I’m also working trying to change a lifestlye/expectations with her. So I’d like to help her see results ASAP, and then drop the fat-loss supplements, and show her that she can stay thin eating good, healthy food.

Thanks

See eggers post for Se7en and Carbolin 19.

Guys, I really appreciate the advice. I showed her the Seven/Carb 19 before and she didn’t turn it down, but wouldn’t pull the trigger. That was 6 months ago when she was still struggling for answers and didn’t want more pills. I think now she’d be more apt to try these and wean off the HOT-ROX like suggested above. Then if the unwanted weight comes back, start adding the Rox back in, slowly.

For Spartiates and your female friend, I had the similar situation with my friend and she likes using Crystal Light “Morning Boost w/caffeine” single serv packets and Scivation’s Xtend mixed with Beta Alanine & Creatine before a workout. Sometimes she adds Syntrax’s Nectar Whey Isolate (tastes like Kool-aid) for the protein but has trouble lifting on a stomach full of liquid so normally the whey comes afterwards.

I did get her to start foam rolling and jumping rope before workouts as a mini-warmup before we weight acclimate and that gets her juices flowing as far as energy is concerned. She’s currently lifting 5/3/1 with me and she loves lifting heavy weights, rare breed, I know. We lift at 5am and she’s not a morning girl.

This has nothing to do with your female, but here’s what I do; I, on the other hand, am up at 4am and am doing the 1st Pre-Anaconda Protocal that Thibs had outlined (Alpha-GPC/Finibars/SWF/Recovery) all in the hour leading up to leaving for the gym. By the time we hit our warm up I am ready to chew on a barbell.

There’s your energy and fat burning right there, depending on how you eat the remainder of the day, this protocal sets you up to build muscle which in turn burns fat, etc, etc. I know, hard to get a female to do all that and understand why she’s doing it. Now I’m way off topic but I hope I helped in some way.

Thanks again for everybody’s feedback. Eggers, the Se7en/Carbolin 19 is what we’ll try.

[quote]Viets wrote:

Thanks again for everybody’s feedback. Eggers, the Se7en/Carbolin 19 is what we’ll try. [/quote]

I hope it works out for her. The combination is what Chris Shugart recommends for those who can’t take stimulants on the V-Diet, so maybe you can ask him in the V-Diet forum what kind of dosing he recommends.