Thermic Effect of Veggies?

I know Berardi writes about the thermic effect of protein (ie energy needed to digest it)

Is there a similar effect with veggies? I have read about the “negative calorie” foods - that seems to be a hype, but I still wonder if there is an effect from veggies? Anyone have links to articles or insight?

takes 20-25 calories to digest protein for every 100 consumed.

it’s about 10 for carbohydrates.

Fiber + protein would create a larger (albeit not by very much) thermic effect, soley because fiber would slow digestion further. Plus fiber keeps you fuller longer! Imagine 4oz of chicken breast with a tbsp of oil, or 4oz of chicken breast with sauted spinich and celery with spices of your choice. What would keep you fuller longer?

Shugs writes a lot about volume of food for a dieter. You would recieve far greater benefits than thermic effect if you added fiber to your diet!

It takes up to 30% of the calories in protein when used for energy, but not when the amino acids are used for other purposes like building body tissues. It takes very little energy to utilize the energy in carbohydrates. I don’t believe that fiber has a thermic effect, it is not absorbed and the beta carbon-carbon bonds are not broken. It may take more energy for the stomach to keep contracting against the fiber, but that would be about it.

There is a thermic effect of all foods. The thermic effects refers to the fact that when foods enter the stomach to digest and then to the gut for nutrient absorption, calories are lost as heat. Calories will be lost as heat whenever anything is metabolized.

It takes some energy to digest and absorb and utilize anything in your body. The effect is nowhere near as pronounced as it is with protein.

I do not know if it is a thermic effect, but a couple studies I looked at accepted previous research showing that fibrous, low-GI veggies increase metabolic rate.

[quote]andersons wrote:
I do not know if it is a thermic effect, but a couple studies I looked at accepted previous research showing that fibrous, low-GI veggies increase metabolic rate. [/quote]

Do you have links?