Thermic Effect of Food

Just a quick thought/question.

We have all heard about food and the thermic effect of it, mainly protein. I read that it takes up to 30% of protein calories consumed to digest it. Don’t know exactly how accurate that is, but I buy into that. Safe to say that protein, of all the macros, has the highest thermic effect.

So the question is, does the TYPE of protein have different thermic effects? For example, as I would hypothesize, does a chicken breast have a higher thermic effect than two scoops of Metabolic Drive? Is red meat higher than eggs? Or is this thermic effect strictly contingent on the type of macro ingested??

Can you state, specifically, what you feel the definition of the TEF is?

I would say how many calories it takes to digest/assimilate the food being eaten. Lets say you eat 50g of protein, which equals 200 calories. How many calories does it take to digest that? I would say the answer to that question would give you a certain foods thermic effect. I agree protein is the highest, just trying to figure out if different proteins have different caloric expenditures.

holly overthinking it batman

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
I would say how many calories it takes to digest/assimilate the food being eaten. Lets say you eat 50g of protein, which equals 200 calories. How many calories does it take to digest that? I would say the answer to that question would give you a certain foods thermic effect. I agree protein is the highest, just trying to figure out if different proteins have different caloric expenditures. [/quote]

OK, so do you feel that, say, casein hydrolysate, which requites minimal digestion, requires as much effort to make use of as traditional casein, which gums up the works for hours?