Thermal Solar Applications, Is this the Answer?

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

I am selling these things like hot cakes. I have one on my home, and I have notices a SIGNIFICANT reduction in my gas bill. ($250 down to ~$40 in a 6000 sqft house) I actually use my personal bills to show people that it works.

[/quote]

That is a sizable decrease. What is the cost of installation?

[quote]TBT4ver wrote:

I am selling these things like hot cakes. I have one on my home, and I have notices a SIGNIFICANT reduction in my gas bill. ($250 down to ~$40 in a 6000 sqft house) I actually use my personal bills to show people that it works.

[/quote]

That is a sizable decrease. What is the cost of installation?[/quote]

I got it before I got into the business. I paid 5000 for the unit and installation as one package. But the company that installed it didn’t put the anti-scald valve on and did a very poor job insulating the pipes leading to and from the unit (I purchased a thermosyphon). I got a 30% federal income tax credit, 2000 from the state of MD and 1500 from Montgomery county. Not all states offer such generous incentives. Go to http://www.dsireusa.org/ for information on your state incentives.

After my experience with those guys, I thought to myself that I could do a much better quality job on all levels, so I did.

I have a funny solar heating story, from where I first went to college, in Corvallis, Oregon. When they built the public pool there, they used an exact copy of a solar-assisted design from Australia. Pipes were routed over the roof, heating the water with sunlight.

Unfortunately, the used an exact copy of the plans from Australia. Which meant, they put the pipes on the opposite exposure. It costs more to heat the water, than if they’d just used a conventional design. (^_^)

Because I’m an optimistic future-geek, I foresee a point where we roof our houses in sheets of polymeric photovoltaic cells.

With your suggesting that the exact following of plans had led to a problem, I’d expected the water had fallen out of the pool from being upside-down.

[quote]TBT4ver wrote:

[/quote]

That is a sizable decrease. What is the cost of installation?[/quote]

I got it before I got into the business. I paid 5000 for the unit and installation as one package. But the company that installed it didn’t put the anti-scald valve on and did a very poor job insulating the pipes leading to and from the unit (I purchased a thermosyphon). I got a 30% federal income tax credit, 2000 from the state of MD and 1500 from Montgomery county. Not all states offer such generous incentives. Go to http://www.dsireusa.org/ for information on your state incentives.

After my experience with those guys, I thought to myself that I could do a much better quality job on all levels, so I did.

[/quote]

Chicken-

Are your talking about a SolarHeart type system: