There's Soy in My Whey!

Hey guys I stupidly bought some whey protein without checking the label properly.

Here’s what it says:

Ingredients: 96%Whey protein isolates (contains soy lecithin)

What is lecithin? After reading the article on soy I’m kind of reluctant to take this stuff on the other hand I’m pretty broke at the moment so I can’t afford a new one for a while.

Would going through this tub (750 g) and then buying a product without soy be an alright option or should I just throw it out?

Incase it helps, I’m 19 and have just started to train and eat properly and was going to use this as a post work out drink.

Lecithin is a derivitive from soy. It is an emulsifier which allows the protein to be dissolved in water. Without it you would end up with clumpy drinks. It does not contain the properties of, say, tofu and isn’t of worry at the small amounts that are added to powders.

It is also in chocolate to keep it in a solid state.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Lecithin is a derivitive from soy. It is an emulsifier which allows the protein to be dissolved in water. Without it you would end up with clumpy drinks. It does not contain the properties of, say, tofu and isn’t of worry at the small amounts that are added to powders.

It is also in chocolate to keep it in a solid state.[/quote]

Phew thanks for that dude, I’m going to go have a protein shake to calm my nerves :wink: