There Once Was A Coach From Nantucket...

Hey I’m here, what ya wanna chat about tonight?

(We just had a GREAT coaching call with Bud Jeffries ? check this out…he squatted 700x15, totally raw! he also walked 1/2 mile with 500 on his back, just to name a few)

But we can chat about whatever you like.

OK, over to you!

OK figure you would be a good person to get an opinion from on one of my recent ideas :wink:

I’m a big fan of the west side templet for strength training. Currently my goals are strength and size. The idea I had was to use EDT as a repitition day, basicly sunday would be max effort bench day and thursday I would do one or two 15 minute EDT sessions of something like incline dumbell press/dumbell row or dips/lat pulldown.

I’m sure I would see results from this layout but anything you can advice to make this more effective for strength and size?

Absolutely. I’ve always said that if you used EDT for the rep work on a Westside template, you’d get better results. So, yes, I like the idea

[quote]JNeves wrote:
OK figure you would be a good person to get an opinion from on one of my recent ideas :wink:

I’m a big fan of the west side templet for strength training. Currently my goals are strength and size. The idea I had was to use EDT as a repitition day, basicly sunday would be max effort bench day and thursday I would do one or two 15 minute EDT sessions of something like incline dumbell press/dumbell row or dips/lat pulldown.

I’m sure I would see results from this layout but anything you can advice to make this more effective for strength and size?[/quote]

Charles,

Thanks for the audio interview access! It provided yet another refreshing angle from an amazing athlete. I would have loved to ask something, but all I would have mustered up would be something like:

“ummm, so you squatted 700 pounds? 15 times? on the same day? in a row?”

Also, since your interviewing skills are smooth, perhaps you should be the guy to get Shugart when the time comes. (Just make sure you ask him if fat people piss him off. I’m not sure what his take is on THAT!)

Thanks again,
BFG

Coach Staley,

Looking over your recent Compound EDT routine, I was somewhat confused about the split you were using. Is this a horizontal upper+quad/vertical upper+hip? What kind of split do you recommend for such a A-B-A,B-A-B routine were I to implement my own exercises?

Hey thanks for those nice words…and we HAVE interviewed Shugs!

[quote]BFG wrote:
Charles,

Thanks for the audio interview access! It provided yet another refreshing angle from an amazing athlete. I would have loved to ask something, but all I would have mustered up would be something like:

“ummm, so you squatted 700 pounds? 15 times? on the same day? in a row?”

Also, since your interviewing skills are smooth, perhaps you should be the guy to get Shugart when the time comes. (Just make sure you ask him if fat people piss him off. I’m not sure what his take is on THAT!)

Thanks again,
BFG[/quote]

It’s not a standard split, nor was it meant to be taken literally. I think people need to be creative with this stuff. That said, if you’d like to provide a hypothetical split, I’ll be happy to look at it for you.

[quote]leon79 wrote:
Coach Staley,

Looking over your recent Compound EDT routine, I was somewhat confused about the split you were using. Is this a horizontal upper+quad/vertical upper+hip? What kind of split do you recommend for such a A-B-A,B-A-B routine were I to implement my own exercises?[/quote]

Coach what would your response be to this
“Bodybuilders don’t need to use O-lifts”

I work in a facality with a kid that used to do strength and conditiong at a big time d1 college and he says it’s completely useless. Yeah I’m not competeting for a sport but have you ever seen the traps on o-lifters? there freakin huge, you can’t get those from shrugs

I’ve worked with some bodybuilders who seemed incapable of moving a weight fast.

They don’t NEED to do O lifts, but they could benefit from them…no question. It’s just a simple matter of training economy

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Coach what would your response be to this
“Bodybuilders don’t need to use O-lifts”

I work in a facality with a kid that used to do strength and conditiong at a big time d1 college and he says it’s completely useless. Yeah I’m not competeting for a sport but have you ever seen the traps on o-lifters? there freakin huge, you can’t get those from shrugs[/quote]

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

The first person to call Julianne at my office at 800-519-2492 and sing “You are the wind beneath my wings” (and with FEELING by the way) wins a FREE copy of my new DVD, A Complete Video Guide To Escalating Density Training.

Good luck, and let the contest begin

WOW, I just did a google image search on that guy. I can’t believe how flexible he is at his size!

I have a question. I’m 5’5", 165 and just got down from around 24%BF to my current 12%ish.

I plan on competing in an APF Competition (squat bench dead) on October 1st. I still have a good 10 lbs or so of fat I could stand to lose, but I feel like I should also have higher numbers in the 3 lifts. Right now I’m around 335 for bench, 405 dead and 405 squat.

With just over 3 months to go, how would you suggest I train?

Should I continue to drop weight down to the 148lb class, or gain as much strenght as possible at 165?

I still have to get a shirt and suit and leave time to TRY and get used to them.

Great question and a lot of questions to consider, including what weight classes have the most competition and at what end of the weight class you’re in.

Honestly you could go either way, but what’s your long term goal in terms of what weight class you plan to stay in?

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
WOW, I just did a google image search on that guy. I can’t believe how flexible he is at his size!

I have a question. I’m 5’5", 165 and just got down from around 24%BF to my current 12%ish.

I plan on competing in an APF Competition (squat bench dead) on October 1st. I still have a good 10 lbs or so of fat I could stand to lose, but I feel like I should also have higher numbers in the 3 lifts. Right now I’m around 335 for bench, 405 dead and 405 squat.

With just over 3 months to go, how would you suggest I train?

Should I continue to drop weight down to the 148lb class, or gain as much strenght as possible at 165?

I still have to get a shirt and suit and leave time to TRY and get used to them.[/quote]

[quote]CharlesStaley wrote:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

The first person to call Julianne at my office at 800-519-2492 and sing “You are the wind beneath my wings” (and with FEELING by the way) wins a FREE copy of my new DVD, A Complete Video Guide To Escalating Density Training.

[/quote]

Is this for real? Only reason I ask is because the song has been burned into my psyche due to our being forced to sing it during our high school graduation. Sad, but true.

It’s for real, you have my word on it!

[quote]downintucson wrote:
CharlesStaley wrote:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Is this for real? Only reason I ask is because the song has been burned into my psyche due to our being forced to sing it during our high school graduation. Sad, but true.

[/quote]

Charles,

Thanks so much for the interview. It was awesome! I really enjoyed it.

By the way, the EDT DVD is outstanding! For those of you who don’t have it I highly recommend getting a copy or you could sing the song for Julianne. LOL

God bless,

Bud

It’s for real, you have my word on it!

downintucson wrote:
CharlesStaley wrote:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

[/quote]

1. I hope Julianne knows about this. I don’t know how I’d explain the reason I’m calling.

2. You only wrote “with feeling.” You didn’t mention anything about sounding good.

3. I hope I remember all of the words.

Great question and a lot of questions to consider, including what weight classes have the most competition and at what end of the weight class you’re in.

Honestly you could go either way, but what’s your long term goal in terms of what weight class you plan to stay in?
[/quote]

Ultimately I plan on gaining more weight in the future, at a lower (or same) bf%. I’d like to eventually cycle gaining mass, losing fat, gaining strength over and over, consistantly improving in size and lb-for-lb strength.

There was one time when my numbers were around where they are now, at 148lbs body wieght. That was 3 years ago when I was in the Navy.

I recently (about 5-6 months ago) got back into serious training, but with this competition staring me in the face in just over 3 months, I don’t feel like I’m where I want to be 3 months out (though the best I’ve been in 3 years).

I tried preparing for a competition before with a friend but we were going heavy (3RM to failure each set) with the same excersizes each week. This (as you probably already assumed) led to mild shoulder and tricep injury, and forced me to curb my goals and work on fat loss.

I just want to make sure I do it right (or at least better) this time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

OK: we have a winnder: Daniel from AZ ? good work Daniel, Julianne is still wiping the tears from her eyes!

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

[/quote]

Thanks Charles. Can’t believe I was on speaker phone. The two thumps I heard in the background, were those two people falling over from the horrifying noise?

Thanks also to the ever-vigilant Julianne.

OK. It’ll be a personal decision, but I’d go 165 given what you just told me

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
CharlesStaley wrote:

Ultimately I plan on gaining more weight in the future, at a lower (or same) bf%. I’d like to eventually cycle gaining mass, losing fat, gaining strength over and over, consistantly improving in size and lb-for-lb strength.

There was one time when my numbers were around where they are now, at 148lbs body wieght. That was 3 years ago when I was in the Navy.

I recently (about 5-6 months ago) got back into serious training, but with this competition staring me in the face in just over 3 months, I don’t feel like I’m where I want to be 3 months out (though the best I’ve been in 3 years).

I tried preparing for a competition before with a friend but we were going heavy (3RM to failure each set) with the same excersizes each week. This (as you probably already assumed) led to mild shoulder and tricep injury, and forced me to curb my goals and work on fat loss.

I just want to make sure I do it right (or at least better) this time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
[/quote]