There goes the neighborhood... Blame Janet!

What the hell is going on in this country? It’s clear to me that the religious right is starting to take over and it’s time we voted those who support them(the religious right)out of office and we can thank Bush for this!

this definately sucks and i feel that we’re getting our toes stepped on with this whole religious movement thats taking place because of a blurry tit during the super bowl that failed to give me an erection.

whats next, are they going to tell my i can’t stand on the corner and wave my penis at oncoming traffic?

must… kill… fcc… DAMN YOU COLONEL POWELLS SON!!! DAMN YOU!!!

The thing is, it’s not like the FCC pulled them. VS did it themselves. They opted not to air it again. They said it was because they didn’t want to put something so racy on prime time.

Which brings the question of what the real reason was…

I can’t believe that they were actually worried about sales. I mean, those fat bitches/militant feminists/soccer moms who are so concerned about it and the children probably aren’t running off to buy the latest Angel wear. And it’s not like there are other advertisers to worry about (since I am pretty sure all of the commercials were their own). So who are they afraid of?

Since I can’t believe that they are really all that worried about the repercussions of the Blue Whales (which they are claiming is the issue), I have to believe it is because they found it to be cost prohibitive. They spend a boat load of money so I can stare at models wearing things I would like to by for my woman anyway. The net benefit doesn’t equal the money they pay for the hour long infomercial.

Graarrr. I think about 5 blood vessels just burst in my brain and I will die shortly after this post.
This is all an effort to lower the overall vitamin T content of America. Damn puritanic blue whales, and damn their husbands, whose dicks have no doubt frozen off because of their frigid wives!

The “religious right” is actually the religious LEFT, as true right wingers want LESS government.

Words cannot describe the anger I feel at this moment…

If people are so worried about how racey the show is then DONT FUCKING WATCH IT!!! FUCK!!!

“fuck the children!”
“pretty soon they’ll need helmets to jerk off”

I agree with JJ, but what’s with the ingrate that said, “thank Bush.”

What the hell did Bush do? That’s just stupid. Why is it, that everything decent about the T-Forum turns into some kind of friggin’ political bullshit discussion.

Just vote for Bush in 2004 and shut the hell up!

LOL!

JJ,

It’s not a matter of not watching it. I am going to assume that you don’t have young children, if I am wrong forgive me.

I do have young children and it is difficult to put the radio on scan, or channel surf when your children are present, as there is a better than even chance that there will be something rated R being said or shown. While I think that a frank discussion regarding sex is healthy to have with your children at a certain age, I don’t think it should be forced upon us by TV or radio. I am grateful that, as a family, we do not watch all that much TV.

With that said, I am all for freedom of expresion. If someone wants to walk around naked on TV, or talk like a pig on the radio, they can be allowed to do it. I am simply making a plea for time adjusted sensitivity. Let’s put all of the adult oriented entertainment on after a reasonable hour, whether it be radio or TV. What’s wrong with that?

ZEB,

Not allowing racey stuff during daytime TV is something reasonable to ask of the companies. Asking the government to do that is a bad idea.

No one is forcing you to watch the TV or listen to the radio.

If you are stating that families who do not want to expose their young children to R rated material simply avoid television and radio, I think that might be pushing it a bit.

What’s wrong with protecting children during certain viewing hours? Anyone who is desirous of watching R rated material can simply watch it after a certain reasonable hour.

Your argument seems to be “the heck with the children I want to watch what I want when I want it.” Surely a compromise would appropriate in this case.

ZEB,

What’s wrong with protecting children during certain viewing hours? Anyone who is desirous of watching R rated material can simply watch it after a certain reasonable hour.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. It is just not the government’s job.

Demand of companies the ability to be able to block bad programing, like you can with computers and the internet.

Demand of the TV stations and companies not to show improper material during the day.

Just don’t go to the government to take care of this problem, because then the government has to define what is “immoral” or “inappropriate”. If you do that, it wouldn’t be much of a stretch for liberal groups to lobby the FCC (or whomever) to get rid of the “hate speech” on Fox News. We know how the government is with this kind of stuff, and I do NOT want to run this risk.

The same applies to radio. Many people argue that Howard Stern should not be on the radio since he’s vulgar, inappropriate, etc., and is free and on public airways. So we should have the FCC take him off the air during the day, right? No. I say this with confidence because you are asking the government to define what is moral, appropriate, etc. They can’t do this. Then some other people could argue that they don’t want rap on the radio, and it would have to be taken off. Then some liberal would want all the conservative talk radio off the air since it’s “hate speech.”

The point is, you simply cannot allow the government to define what is moral and what should and shouldn’t be on the air.

Your argument seems to be “the heck with the children I want to watch what I want when I want it.” Surely a compromise would appropriate in this case.

No, that is not my argument at all. I just think this is not a place for government, but just a place for customers to voice their opinions and demand options.

Talk about double standards…

I guess I am the only one who sees female ass-wiggling in over 90% of hip-hop videos.

Did anybody complain or ban that booty fest ? Nooooooo.

Better stop talking about it before any zealot actually starts pushing buttons to have these vids banned too.

Why don`t they put a lobby for the S-chip ?

That way you`d have the same options as the V-chip, but for Sex stuff on tv.

`Nuff said.

I appreciate your point, and would usually side with those who want limited government. However, this issue is a bit different I think.

Since you don’t believe in any sort of regulatory body would you welcome X rated movies at 1:00 on Saturday afternoon? If not why not?

It’s easy to say “it’s not the governments job” (and I wish it were not), but what do you do when Hollywood and other entertainment outlets do not do their job? When people refuse to self regulate what should happen? What happens in other areas of society when people refuse to act with restraint? In prior years there were certain standards that were created and self enforced.

Now Hollywood has their own standards and no one wants other peoples values pushed on them. I have no problem with that. However, we still have the issue of children and when it comes to them I think a certain code of ethics should be developed and enforced during certain hours.

I don’t like the idea of sitting down to watch the Super Bowl halftime show with my kids and witnessing Janet Jacksons boob. Call me old fashion, but they have to knock that off! And that ticked me off so badly that I now actually welcome government intervention regarding this one issue.

Now if she were to give a showing of that same boob at around 10:00 or 11:00, hey I couldn’t care less.

(I really think that we are into a generational difference here. I would wager that those who are into their 30’s, or older with young children would agree with me. Those younger, or single would disagree- just a guess)

Since you don’t believe in any sort of regulatory body would you welcome X rated movies at 1:00 on Saturday afternoon? If not why not?

Sure. I say let them do it. First off, the finincial risk would probably be too great for anyone to actually do. The reason is that they would a) have a tough time getting advertising; b) lose advertising; c) basically be boycotted. People would lose their jobs and it simply wouldn’t happen. If it did, it probably wouldn’t happen again.

It’s easy to say “it’s not the governments job” (and I wish it were not), but what do you do when Hollywood and other entertainment outlets do not do their job? When people refuse to self regulate what should happen? What happens in other areas of society when people refuse to act with restraint? In prior years there were certain standards that were created and self enforced.

I think there is a self interest for businesses to self regulate.

Other areas of life are much different than a movie, TV, or radio program. For example, if you’re in a restaurant and you disrupt the restaurant, then they can kick you out and/or call the police to get rid of you and punish you.

However, we still have the issue of children and when it comes to them I think a certain code of ethics should be developed and enforced during certain hours.

I agree. And I feel that there are enough people that DO agree with this that they could get the industry to self regulate things like this in their own self-interest.

I don’t like the idea of sitting down to watch the Super Bowl halftime show with my kids and witnessing Janet Jacksons boob. Call me old fashion, but they have to knock that off! And that ticked me off so badly that I now actually welcome government intervention regarding this one issue.

I agree that it was inappropriate - unexpected. Something like Howard Stern you know what to expect. But when you have a family oriented event and put something like that into it, then that IS a problem. But the thing is, people did lose business over it. There were thousands of phone calls made, and I’m sure it scared some business people. I’d be willing to bet that won’t happen again.

Now if she were to give a showing of that same boob at around 10:00 or 11:00, hey I couldn’t care less.

Well, I still would have a problem with it. First it’s still the Super Bowl, and it’s a family event. Second, the manner in which it happened looked an awful lot like sexual assult to me, and that is not something “role models” such as Timberlake should be doing since kids could immitate him.

(I really think that we are into a generational difference here. I would wager that those who are into their 30’s, or older with young children would agree with me. Those younger, or single would disagree- just a guess)

I think parents need to spend time with their children and teach them values. A child that is brought up well will not be affected by a boob (no matter how inappropriate), and will also grow up to not tolerate such acts.

The fact that many groups were not happy with the entertainment industry really did nothing to prevent them from placing all manner of inapropriate material on the air. The boycotts that you speak of had no effect.

You are upset about the Super Bowl because it was unexpected. Yet, when a father is channel surfing or using the scan on a car radio and Howard stern is using profanity that too is unexpected. If you have your 7 year old daughter in the car you are in the same unenviable position that you are in with the Super Bowl fiasco.

The generational difference that I speak of is realted to you and I. It is my guess that you do not have young children, am I right?

The boycotts that you speak of had no effect.

I don’t think MTV would say that… :slight_smile: But like I said, I doubt something like that will happen again.

You are upset about the Super Bowl because it was unexpected. Yet, when a father is channel surfing or using the scan on a car radio and Howard stern is using profanity that too is unexpected. If you have your 7 year old daughter in the car you are in the same unenviable position that you are in with the Super Bowl fiasco.

Not quite the same position. First off, I know there is inappriate material for children on both TV and Radio, morning, day, and night. If I were scanning I would know to be careful and what to expect. However, when you select a show that you know is safe, it is quite unexpected to see what we did.

Also, I’m not up on technology, but having something for a TV like you can for the internet, meaning allowing your choice of content, would be the answer for TV.

It is my guess that you do not have young children, am I right?

That is correct.