Therajraj: How Do You Anti Government

That comment is as inaccurate as it is silly.

You are disavowing property rights. The first and primary property right is self ownership. They are intrinsically entangled.

Read this post you wrote. It has arguments that can be used against the idea of countries.

If all or most land was stolen at some point, how can any people have a right to any land? Or products of the labor built upon the land?

Money is much more than that. It came into being as a function of both the labor of those who came before us, as well as resources taken from the commons. It does not spring de novo from one’s labor.

With respect to property rights, I am disavowing that you have an absolute claim to your pre-tax earnings; ie, that it is solely ‘your’ property. I am not disavowing the existence of a very strong claim to property rights adhering to post-tax income.

As an aside, the notion of absolute property rights is deeply problematic as well.

This is an assertion of belief–an assumption. It is not in any sense a logical ‘given.’

Of course it is. Your house is private property and you are authorizing someone to do something to it. It’s a perfect parallel.

Honestly, you haven’t thought this through.

The point is, they cannot make a libertarian-style absolute claim to property rights. But this does not preclude the development of socioeconomic agreements which acknowledge conditional property-rights claims.

Think of it this way. Suppose you lived back in the frontier days, and wandering west one day, came across a valley that suited your fancy. To make things simple, let’s assume no one lives there. By what mechanism would you have had the right to say “this land is mine–I now own it”? From whence does this right originate?

I understand your point but while supporting your argument here it also invalidates the idea of a country

It is far more logical than to distinguish between self ownership and ownership of the output of one’s self. And to claim that a person own ones but not the other.

It isn’t a parallel because you going and explicitly and expressly agreeing with your neighbor to do something is very different from supposed implicit consent under duress. Again, me not moving my house as evidence of my consent without a direct verbal or written agreement is a parallel.

Not at all. ‘Country’ is yet another social construct, and one with great utilitarian value. While my argument pulls the rug out from under the claim that ‘country’ represents some sort of indisputable fact of nature, is doesn’t de-legitimize the construct.

I don’t see anything ‘logical’ about your claims. They are simply bald assertions that you (presumably) want to be true. From a meta-discussion standpoint, you are asserting your conclusions.

How do Americans have a right to borders if their land was stolen at some point?

Because we have all agreed that the social construct that is ‘America’ is valid and useful.

Let me flip the script on you. Your concern seems to be ‘if we can’t make an absolute claim to property, then it follows that America is an invalid construct, or at least one that can be legitimately challenged.’ Let us assume this is true. How would that ‘fact’ provide a logical justification for the concept of absolute property rights? In other words, to argue “Property rights have to be absolute, because I don’t like the repercussions if they aren’t” hardly qualifies as a rational argument in favor of absolute property rights. (Ironically, far from being a rights-based argument, you would be making a utilitarian one.)

Back up for a second.

Not everyone has agreed America as a social construct is useful.

I’m sure there are poor people living in other countries that do not agree with the concept of America being useful.

In fact there are people here who believe ‘no one is illegal’ and admission they do not accept the validity of borders

That’s OK. Unanimity is not a requirement.

Indeed. And ironically, those people are often libertarians or anarcho-capitalists.

You can end your own life. You just can’t hire someone to do it.

Unwritten, but actually happens- End of life for terminally ill patients is often due to the combination of meds, but goes down in practice and on the certificate as being from the disease.

Nonsense. You’re giving authorization both ways, and whether it is direct or indirect is immaterial. What matters is authorization is given through delegation, and consent has been provided. And participating in a representative democracy isn’t operating “under duress”. Good Lord.

You simply can’t up with a credible reason your theory “no consent on taxation!” doesn’t disintegrate under ordinary scrutiny. You tried saying “well, taxation is different,” but it’s not. Now you’re trying to redefine basic principal-agent relationships to not include logic.

Taxation ain’t theft. Utter nonsense.

1 Like

I believe you actually are permitted to do so in certain states, under certain conditions. Regardless, it is ridiculous that a government has any say whatsoever in determining how you end your life(I’m going to count assisted suicide as “you” here because, in the context of this thread, it’s certainly close enough-at least you’re directly authorizing a person of your choosing to do a single thing, and not being forced by a majority to go along with its decision).