Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods - Not for Beginners?

I stopped weightlifting about 10 years ago, have been doing martial arts since then and my body got all busted up. It started healing in quarantine and I remembered what it was like to be strong, so now I want to start strength training again.

I rehabbed my scapula / glutes using a lot of ideas from sports strength training articles online and want to try more sports-oriented strength training instead of bodybuilding stuff, but I don’t understand ANY of the programming they’re talking about.

I flipped through a friend’s copy of Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods and I really like the info in it, it looks like exactly what I want. The only thing stopping me from buying it is the outlined training plans don’t look like they’re for noobs at all – drop sets, depth drops, eccentric work, variable load, contrast training, pre- post- fatigue, etc.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall from when I was into weightlifting that these techniques should only be used by advanced lifters, and sparingly.

But then I noticed that EVERY rep of every set is using these techniques, so maybe I just don’t understand sports training at all and this type of stuff is necessary to create the effect I want.

So long story short: is this book for me? Or does Christian have another book that I should get instead?

I wrote that book more than 15 years ago. And while I still use a similar approach (mostly with athletes), I have toned down the use of special methods.

HOWEVER, understand that when I wrote this book I had athletes in mind. Not people training only to improve their appearance,

Thank you for the quick reply, I hope you don’t think I was criticizing you because that wasn’t my intent at all. My questions might have come across the wrong way, I just know from martial arts that bad things happen when I accrue more stress than I can handle.

I think I’m going to buy your black book of training secrets. Based on the research I’ve done, I think it’s better for my noob self than Theory and Application. But now that you’ve made this comment, I’m wondering if you have a newer book about sports training? It looks like your recent stuff is about bodybuilding.

Also, it’s really cool that you’re available for complete randoms to ask you questions. Not many experts do that.