THEN You Can Talk

Many Europeans feel morally superior to us, ‘Bush is evil.’, America is the most dangerous country on the planet to them and so forth.

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

Do something like this, then you can talk.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Many Europeans feel morally superior to us, ‘Bush is evil.’, America is the most dangerous country on the planet to them and so forth.

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

Do something like this, then you can talk.[/quote]

HH, I like you, but I disagree with you. I do not think Europeans think they are better than us. I’ve spent a fair amount of time and found most people very pleasant and very open. I know we have some ass hats on the forum, but I don’t think they represent Europe at large. More than half my family is European, they don’t have any problems with Americans, most of the ones I met don’t. Honestly, I’d say most Europeans are cool.

As far as America helping Europe, of course. And we’ll do it again and again. Truth be told, if they had means they probably help us too.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Guys, I think, too, that the “asshats” here are that way just to get your goat. I have the feeling that most of them really don’t feel they way they post. I think a lot of it is sophomoric mockery and humor. I mean, if there wasn’t some kind of camaraderie, would they participate for as long as they have? I guess that’s why I don’t take offense to certain posters’ comments.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.
[/quote]

You mean something like what the Marquis de Lafayette did?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

You mean something like what the Marquis de Lafayette did?[/quote]

Precisely.

But I agree with Pat on this. I have family over there and most of em’ don’t really dislike the US at all. Plenty of em hate Bush, but most of the Europeans I know think our liberals are pretty conservative, so our conservatives to them appear to be nut jobs.

As well, plenty of nations LOVE American tourists, because they know we’ll buy a lot of meaningless crap because we have the wealth to do so :smiley:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

You mean something like what the Marquis de Lafayette did?[/quote]

Or Baron von Stueben? Or Gen. Rochambeau? Liberty’s friends can be relied upon across the globe. We immediately returned the favor with Thomas Paine and John Paul Jones.

mike

Baron von Stueben. That was the name. I was wracking my brain and only came up with Franz Sigel, who, while a good general, I was somewhat reticent to group with Liberty’s friends.

Thanks, Mike. That was driving me nuts.

Hey, interesting story about John Paul Jones that a Leatherneck ought to appreciate. When the Bonhomme Richard was burning and going down, the commander of the Serapis demanded Captain Jones’ surrender. John Paul, of course, shot back his famous rejoinder, “I have not yet begun to fight!”

What is less known is that a few paces away, a Marine who had heard the captain’s declaration was heard to mutter, “there’s always some clothpate as doesn’t get the word.”

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Many Europeans feel morally superior to us, ‘Bush is evil.’, America is the most dangerous country on the planet to them and so forth.

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

Do something like this, then you can talk.[/quote]

Is it just me that is bothered by the mise en scene in this Spielberg movie, especially this opening sequence? I find it disrepectful. His attempt to make it look as realistic as possible makes it banal, it could as well be the fucking starship troopers.

[quote]kaaleppi wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Many Europeans feel morally superior to us, ‘Bush is evil.’, America is the most dangerous country on the planet to them and so forth.

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

Do something like this, then you can talk.

[/quote]

Do what, not joining the war until the nazis had already lost it?

Comeon HH, how many threads are you going to start about this?

[quote]Ken Kaniff wrote:
kaaleppi wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Many Europeans feel morally superior to us, ‘Bush is evil.’, America is the most dangerous country on the planet to them and so forth.

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

Do something like this, then you can talk.

Do what, not joining the war until the nazis had already lost it?[/quote]

More revisionist bullshit. Your mind is poisoned.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ken Kaniff wrote:
kaaleppi wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Many Europeans feel morally superior to us, ‘Bush is evil.’, America is the most dangerous country on the planet to them and so forth.

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

Do something like this, then you can talk.

Do what, not joining the war until the nazis had already lost it?

More revisionist bullshit. Your mind is poisoned.[/quote]

You seem to have a problem with historical revisionism.

I have to assume that you subscribe to the doctrine of, “The winner’s account of history is the only one that’s valid”?

If so, you’re basically admitting that you reject independent analysis in favor of towing the party line. That’s pretty audacious. Most people wouldn’t want to admit something like that.

The world is not objective. Other people perceive reality differently than you do, and that can be extended to their interpretation of past events, as well. Try wrapping your head around that.

[quote]kaaleppi wrote:

Is it just me that is bothered by the mise en scene in this Spielberg movie, especially this opening sequence? I find it disrepectful. His attempt to make it look as realistic as possible makes it banal, it could as well be the fucking starship troopers.[/quote]

Let us just be thankful that it was Spielberg in the director’s chair, and not George Lucas. We probably would have had to endure extravagantly overdone tank battle sequences, innumerable burp gags, and a wisecracking, heartwarmingly precocious child “mascot” tagging along with the Ranger squad.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Same here, in that I like you, but have to disagree to some extent. Living overseas, I run into all kinds of Europeans, and at least 1/3 of the time it’s not 5 mins. before they start insulting the US and American people. [/quote]

Out of curiousity, what is it about “the US and American people” that they insult?

Last I checked, not only Europeans but people all around the globe were mad at the US foreign policy. But then again, so are a lot of Americans. I can’t see why you would consider criticism of your country’s foreign policy an insult to the American people when the accusations are founded. Let’s take the invasion of Iraq for instance; it destabilized the region and increased the threat of terrorism.

Look at Bush’s approval rates. Look at those of Congress. Why do you think they are so low? Is it because the latter failed to deliver what they promised? Is it because everyone realized bombing and invading Iraq was unnecessary?

HH, taking nothing away from the heroic deeds of those men who stormed Omaha Beach let’s remember two small but important details.

First off, although everyone remembers Omaha beach, it was not the only beachhead taken that day. Gold and Sword beaches were taken by the British and Free French, and Juno beach was taken by Canada. If American casualties were highest at Omaha, it was mainly because Field Marshal Murphy (of Murphy’s Law fame) was fighting for the Germans that day.

Second, let’s not forget that one of the reasons Operation Overlord went down successfully at all was because of the successful intelligence ruse that tricked the German high command into thinking that the main invasion, led by George Patton, would be happening farther north at Calais. The Germans fortified that position, leaving the southern beachheads relatively weak.

Had the ruse failed, and had allied forces attacked a Normandy fortified and manned at full strength, D-Day might have ended a little differently.

And Zap? However we might like to think otherwise, it was General Winter, fighting for the Russians, that broke the back of the Wehrmacht.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Ken Kaniff wrote:
kaaleppi wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Many Europeans feel morally superior to us, ‘Bush is evil.’, America is the most dangerous country on the planet to them and so forth.

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

Do something like this, then you can talk.

Do what, not joining the war until the nazis had already lost it?

More revisionist bullshit. Your mind is poisoned.

You seem to have a problem with historical revisionism.

I have to assume that you subscribe to the doctrine of, “The winner’s account of history is the only one that’s valid”?

If so, you’re basically admitting that you reject independent analysis in favor of towing the party line. That’s pretty audacious. Most people wouldn’t want to admit something like that.

The world is not objective. Other people perceive reality differently than you do, and that can be extended to their interpretation of past events, as well. Try wrapping your head around that.[/quote]

Yes, some people lie and bullshit, as Ken Kaniff is. I don’t have to wrap my head around anything.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

And Zap? However we might like to think otherwise, it was General Winter, fighting for the Russians, that broke the back of the Wehrmacht.

[/quote]

Without US involvement it would have either been a Soviet Nazi stalemate or a Soviet dominated Europe.

The claim that the Nazis had lost the war before the US got in is completely untrue.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

However, until you do something like this for the United States of America, guess what we say to you.

You mean something like what the Marquis de Lafayette did?[/quote]

Well, there’s one.

Actually some of my family did go right off of the boat into the Union Army. Okay, the Irish can talk and rip into us all they want.

;D