TheBird's Comeback!

Hi friends.
Im about to start my training for my final comeback. Soccer season starts mid-march, and I want to make it a year to remember.
I need help with my conditioning. For the past 3 months, I have been lifting big and have put on close to 8 kg of muscle. I would like to keep some of my new found strength and power, but I need help working out my new conditioning routine.

I was thinking;
2 intense skill work/ball work per week
1 30km bikeride per week
1 high intensity sprints per week
1 session of 400m runs per week
And of course I want to keep lifting, maybe 2-3 times per week.
How am I going to fit all of this in???

[quote]theBird wrote:
I was thinking;
2 intense skill work/ball work per week
1 30km bikeride per week
1 high intensity sprints per week
1 session of 400m runs per week
And of course I want to keep lifting, maybe 2-3 times per week.
How am I going to fit all of this in???[/quote]

However you set it up, do make sure you’re eating/sleeping enough to sustain this high level of activity

I wouldn’t bike ride if I were you. Bike riding doesn’t have anything to do with soccer training. If I remember you’re semi-pro no? So you should have some pretty good endurance conditioning as it is, thus you don’t need to train long distance.

I’d put in a day of plyos/vert jumping things like that instead. Or just find a way to get in a game somewhere, if you’re not already playing.

That is a lot, but it’s manageable if you break it up into AM and PM workouts. Most people who train for professional sports train 2 (sometimes 3!) times a day, 5 days a week.

Have fun!

Wait, I’ll just add - you can def keep the biking if you enjoy it!

I train for soccer too, and I always do things that aren’t particularly relevant to my footie training, but things that I find fun or just aimed at aesthetics…I only play amateur tho. lol!

Thanks Mr Maschrano.
The reason I try to keep cycling in the equation is about 3 years ago I was riding my bike to work and back everyday(60k in total every day), and I have never been fitter. Because its low impact, you can do it all season long without causing any ankle/knee pain.
Do you lift weights yourself? Im thinking of doing 2-3 weght sessions a week, with one session been dedicated to heavy squats or deadlifts(Ill alternate every 6 weeks or so).

tweet tweet

thebird

why not ask a soccer coach and trainer to put you on a program??

sports specific improvements means sports specific training…

Lol! I’m actually a Ms. Mascherano - that’s me in the avi.

I do lift weights. I’ve just come off my fall season and have thus started Oly lifting. But yes, I was lifting heavy during off season, and then while on-season I did Defranco’s WS4SB on-season training protocol. I took about 3 weeks to transition from lifting heavy to in-season training which was split between matches, practice, conditioning and 2 light weight lifting days. I ended up re-injuring my hamstring at the end of the season, so all I can recommend is that you get your working parts in order and do your mobility work, etc. before jumping into full games.

Whatever suits you re: the bike riding, as long as you feel good that’s all that matters. And I agree w/ spk - don’t you know any coaches or trainers that could help you put together a program?

Thanks Ms Mascherano. Your hot.
I might ask my PT, who used to play for Fulham, although I think he enjoys watching me lift big and getting big.
Anyway Ms Mascherano, where abouts do you live? Maybe we could get together and maybe do a bit of training together?

tweet tweet

She can eat breakfast with me if she likes. Oats and eggs.
Any constructive advice?

[quote]theBird wrote:
Any constructive advice?
[/quote]

Lol! I don’t eat breakfast. I eat Warrior Diet style.

Anyways, it doesn’t seem like there’s much to critique, bird. From what i see it looks like you got it down. Build muscle off season, start getting ready for game playing and maintain muscle pre-season, play soccer and (maybe) keep maintaining muscle while in-season.

Who’s your PT? I follow the EPL, would I know him?

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Any constructive advice?
[/quote]

Anyways, it doesn’t seem like there’s much to critique, bird. From what i see it looks like you got it down. Build muscle off season, start getting ready for game playing and maintain muscle pre-season, play soccer and (maybe) keep maintaining muscle while in-season.

Who’s your PT? I follow the EPL, would I know him? [/quote]

You wouldnt know him, he only played in the under 21s team before he decided to give it away.
Im still open to criticism/advice. I think I might start to do a deFranco like split for when preseason starts.
Where do you live Ms Mascherano? How old are you? Do you have a boyfriend?

tweet tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Where do you live Ms Mascherano? How old are you? Do you have a boyfriend?

tweet tweet[/quote]

The scary thing is, I don’t doubt for one minute that you’re serious. You must really get women :smiley:

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

[/quote]

That is the best shut-down ever. Seriously, I’m thinking of stealing this line.
The best part is that it’s true though LMAO

Ah, I <3 Maschy
The funniest heart-breaker out there.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Your comments can be as harsh as lead
But yet you leave me with no clue

Please train with me Ms Mascherano
And start to eat breakfast too
We will mae a good couple
And make my dream come true

Together we will win the game
As we became one
Nobody wlll rid us of our fame
Our love is all but done

I end this love story
With a proposal
Came and date me
As i stare in you eyes that are hazel

tweet tweet

you wanna make a comeback??? start training and stop trying to be a poet…

Why in the FUCK are you off of my ignore list now?

I think the guy’s so naive that he’s not actually sure what is implied when you ask a lady to ‘breakfast’ :smiley: