The Yom Kippur Thread

Seeing how a lot of my family is Jewish, there no food or much of anything as of sundown today. This is why I’m not practicing, and for a while flirted with Christianity. You guys get to eat a meal tomorrow!

Anyway, I AM thinking of becoming practicing again. What in the flaming hell can a Jew guy do? Any Jews on here? Hell, can you even be typing on a computer now?

I gotta think hard on this ‘practicing’ stuff!!

Not to be an ass, but I never understood fasting as part of religion. So you don’t eat for a day or so, whoopie doo. Is that a testament to your faith in God?? It just goes over my head.

Do you need or have to have some group of people tell you what to think and how to act?

Hm, HH. Way to kowtow.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Do you need or have to have some group of people tell you what to think and how to act?

Hm, HH. Way to kowtow.[/quote]

LOL. What are you, 13? He’s talking about his acknowledgment of a higher being, of a God. Being humble is kind of important.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
kroby wrote:

Hm, HH. Way to kowtow.

LOL. What are you, 13? He’s talking about his acknowledgment of a higher being, of a God. Being humble is kind of important.[/quote]

Yeah. HH is talking about eating and typing on a computer. Flirting with Christianity. Nothing at all to do with humility in the Face of God or a higher being.

And what’s this about some made up age? Is that supposed to be funny or derogatory? It’s completely out of context and makes no sense at all. There’s plenty of 13 year old kids that go to church (or temple or mosque) and know their particular brand of religion. My age is irrelevant. I’m not being obtuse, either.

All HH’s life, I’m supposing he has been his own boss. Now he wants to change it? Why? What’s the impetus? Will God offer solutions he cannot provide for himself?

It’s this (sudden?) change that I’m questioning. Reading HH, I got the impression that he doesn’t need anyone to tell him what to do or what to think. Until now? What gives?

I worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Thought you were aryan.

disappointed

“What in the flaming hell can a Jew guy do? Any Jews on here? Hell, can you even be typing on a computer now?”

Shalom!

I guess I shouldn’t be typing on a computer now, seeing as it is in fact a holiday, let alone Sabbath! This is gonna be a long post. I’ll have to ask your forgiveness…

Anyways, this is something that has bugged me for a long time. I did grow up going to orthodox Jewish schools etc and was very observant.

However, probably around the time I started lifting, a year ago, and became very serious about my health, getting in shape, love for the weights etc, I re-evaluated my religious activity.

What I decided is that every Jew (in fact every person regardless of what religion they practice) must find their own comfort level. That means, to be honest, picking and choosing just how religious they are going to be, and where their limits are. Don’t throw out everything just because not everything works for you.

For example, I could not imagine fasting today. After a year of eating every three hours, that’s just not happening. Instead, I decided that I will make some effort, I will eat less than usual, and as far as prayer, same thing - I can’t bring myself to sit in synagogue for 6 hours, so I went, stayed until I felt I no longer could honestly focus or appreciate it, and left.

I think that living a very healthy and active lifestyle in today’s world presents many challenges, but it’s important to be patient and realize that we each must find our own comfort level and draw our boundaries.

Look at eating healthy, especially for Jews - if you’re not careful it can be a fucking catastrophe. Shabbat meals, holiday meals, lots of sitting and eating, passover meals, fast days, kiddush after services, so on and so forth. It takes an effort. Be honest with yourself, figure out your comfort level, and don’t apologize.

wakiki, I sure respect your honesty. I’m sure “eldars” would have issue with your cavalier attitude towards your faith, but it sure sounds like you have your head on straight.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
I worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.[/quote]

zomgz me twozzzzz

May the true Lord be with you.

Shalom HH.

I broke the fast by accident, though I never really cared that much about it (not believing in God does that to ya).

Still though, it is the day of atonement, and I am trying to remember my “sins” (my actual sins, not my bible sins) and look towards finding ways to better myself. I doesn’t have to be today, but today is convenient.

I’m about to go have awesome Jew food at my friends house, so I guess I’m happy…

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
I worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.[/quote]

I will eat your god on my carb day.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
Thought you were aryan.

disappointed[/quote]

Ashkanazim. The family on my mother’s side are the whacked out ones.

If you’ve ever seen a movie called ‘PI’, they make the Hassies in that look pretty sane. :smiley:

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Shalom HH.

I broke the fast by accident, though I never really cared that much about it (not believing in God does that to ya).

Still though, it is the day of atonement, and I am trying to remember my “sins” (my actual sins, not my bible sins) and look towards finding ways to better myself. I doesn’t have to be today, but today is convenient.

I’m about to go have awesome Jew food at my friends house, so I guess I’m happy…[/quote]

The problem I’m having is that Judaism conflicts somewhat with the society in which I live. For ex, one of our teachers (practicing) was denied a day off on a Jewish holiday. Then, the food at our dining hall, which is quite good actually, would not be kosher. Its a lot of little things like that that add up and make it a tough choice.

Interesting to see things from a ‘minority’ perspective!!
Enlightening!

[quote]Hagar wrote:
deanosumo wrote:
I worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I will eat your god on my carb day.[/quote]

But I heard you are too fat and doing Atkins!

[quote]wakiki wrote:

Look at eating healthy, especially for Jews - if you’re not careful it can be a fucking catastrophe. Shabbat meals, holiday meals, lots of sitting and eating, passover meals, fast days, kiddush after services, so on and so forth. It takes an effort. Be honest with yourself, figure out your comfort level, and don’t apologize.[/quote]

I’m a modern orthodox Jew, and I manage to eat healthy and work out regularly. I hear you, a lot of the traditional food isn’t that great for you, but you don’t have to eat it. Besides, if you’re eating well 6 out of 7 days, one bad shabbat meal won’t kill you.

[quote]JoshM wrote:
I’m a modern orthodox Jew, and I manage to eat healthy and work out regularly. I hear you, a lot of the traditional food isn’t that great for you, but you don’t have to eat it. Besides, if you’re eating well 6 out of 7 days, one bad shabbat meal won’t kill you.

[/quote]

The bottom line is that we need to determine what our standards are when it comes to healthy eating. I was not trying to say that it’s impossible given the centrality of food to so many of our Jewish customs and holidays, but it requires vigilance. I’ve come to adopt Berardi’s “90% compliance rule” - 6 meals a day is 42 per week, so room for 4 unplanned meals (or rather, “feeding opportunities”).

The way I ended up dealing with Shabbat and holiday meals is by aligning myself with people who think similarly and value a healthy lifestyle. Also, learning to be somewhat more flexible planning alternatives which are equally healthy and being prepared with backups.

…Funny that I dug up this thread, but Passover is coming up, and that’s definitely gonna be challenging.

Yup. Ultimately, I believe it’s a question of priority: who/what am I living to please? Myself? Tradition? God? Society? Each has its own ramifications.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
Thought you were aryan.

disappointed[/quote]

Chin up Nominal Prospect, at least you know who the jews are here now!