T Nation

The Wrestler

Wow, just saw this movie. I loved it. Rourke looks like a pro wrestler for sure. I was sucked into believing this bizarre make believe world of amateur NJ Wrestlers looking up to their hero, “The Ram”, because he was once a top flight Pro Wrestler. He has a boss, he is trying to get a girlfriend, and trying to reunite with his daughter.

He’s gotten great write-ups for this. It’s not in wide release yet, but I’m hoping to get into Manhattan, I think it’s showing by Lincoln Center.
I read an interview with Rourke and the director, amazing parallels between the main character and Rourke himself. Also, the director thought about going with a lot of other actors in the main role, as with Rourke, he wouldn’t have been able to get insurance for the picture (much the way Downey Jr couldn’t get gigs for a long while). Supposedly Rourke didn’t even get paid for the film… ?

S

Yeah, I downloaded it as it is not in wide release yet, but I will see it or buy the dvd when available. On one hand, I want to talk more about the film, however; I don’t want to spoil anything. Everything in the movie touched some sort of base with me and my life as I hope it will with others.

Looks like a great flick. Makes me want to tear into a Slim Jim. You can see the trailer here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809994789/trailer

I almost didn’t open this thread as I was worried someone would spoil it for me. Not sure when it’s released over here in the UK, but it’s one of my must see films.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

…amazing parallels between the main character and Rourke himself.

[/quote]

I really like Mickey Rourke. If I had a twin brother, it would be him. I also read in a recent interview with Rourke where he said, “I got hurt more in the three months of wrestling than I did in 16 years of boxing. I had three MRIs in two months.”

I can’t wait to see this film.

It looks good. I really respect the mans work. He is one of the very few actors that actually has integrity. He has stayed true to himself.

The Wrestler was awesome. It deserves all the accolades it has received, and then some.

I’ve heard its in limited release in the states. Where I am, Japan, it will never see the light of day. If its not in your local theatre, www.watch-movies.net has it in reasonable quality

An ex bartends at a club in Miami called “set”. She tells me that Rourke comes in all the time and is a world class douchebag. So fucked up he can barely articulate a sentence, drools on himself, is rude, and to top it off doesn’t tip. I’ve always liked him as an actor [he nailed it as Marv in Sin City], so this news kinda bummed me out.

I think this role was meant for Rourke. Without knowing him, the parallels between “The Ram” and himself are pretty dead on. I grabbed a copy online and was very impressed. Definitely worth a second look.

[quote]Roual wrote:
I almost didn’t open this thread as I was worried someone would spoil it for me. Not sure when it’s released over here in the UK, but it’s one of my must see films.[/quote]

Yeah, I hate it when people give away endings, too. Slumdog Millionare is great, but I just don’t connect with the story as I am not Indian. It does suck that you can see a movie about a mall security guard everywhere, but it is hard to find theaters playing The Wrestler.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

…amazing parallels between the main character and Rourke himself.

I really like Mickey Rourke. If I had a twin brother, it would be him. I also read in a recent interview with Rourke where he said, “I got hurt more in the three months of wrestling than I did in 16 years of boxing. I had three MRIs in two months.”

I can’t wait to see this film.
[/quote]

Wrestling is a really dangerous sport. First week, got a stinger in my neck. Now, my ankle is messed up.

I want to see the film. One of the few I would easily pay money for.

I haven’t seen the movie yet but plan to. One thing I read about it was that the guys he wrestles against are real wrestlers and all the matches in the movie were real. When filming they set up these local wrestling shows and had real wrestlers show up and had Mickey go in against them.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
I haven’t seen the movie yet but plan to. One thing I read about it was that the guys he wrestles against are real wrestlers and all the matches in the movie were real. When filming they set up these local wrestling shows and had real wrestlers show up and had Mickey go in against them.[/quote]

Performing in VFW halls and at High Schools. The world he wrestles in really doesn’t exist in New Jersey, however; I do believe there are some small time organizations in Texas comparable to the fake organization portrayed in the movie. Hell, I thought the performances were better than those put on my vince mcmahn or however you spell it.

I hope is acting was good as he called sean penn average.

http://aidanmaconachyblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/oscar-trash-talk-mickey-rourke-calls.html