T Nation

The Wrestler (Movie)

So I’ve been trolling this website a while–I mean a while. I was first brought here by a query to google ‘How to get into ketosis faster’. I was brought to a post that said that a very dangerous way was to take insulin–it was not recommended and that a lot of people get seriously hurt doing it that way. The appropriate alternative was to take Leucine tablets (the article suggested).

So, the movie “The Wrestler” came to theaters. …In Florida, while we were on spring break. The movie was not where we lived at all–within a good 50 miles of where we lived so we decided to see the movie while we were in Destin.

Very good movie, first of all! :slight_smile:

Secondly, while we were watching the movie there was scene where Randy (the ram) Robinson [played by a very buff Mickey Rourke] was buying things off of a fellow wrestler; one of the items he bought was insulin.

Now, nowhere in the movie had it been suggested that he was diabetic–and I find it shady to think that even if he were, he’d be buying it off of a ‘friend’.

My boyfriend had no clue --and asked me why he was buying insulin when he wasn’t diabetic. I remembered the post and was able to explain to him about why Randy Robinson would even need insulin.

Score one for being a troll! :slight_smile:

Oddly enough, I felt a connection with the daughter because we have very, very similar relationships with our fathers.

Movie sucked, way over-hyped. Surprised I watched the whole thing.

I have yet to see it.
Can’t wait.

Actually, it’s doubtful he’d want it for going into ketosis. As far as I know, insulin is used mostly for it’s anabolic properties (shuttling nutritients into muscle cells) and not as a dieting agent.

However, back to the movie, is it worth watching?

It’s a pretty well-acted movie on Rourke’s part. It only shows one side of the wrestling business according to a lot of the pros. I enjoyed it as a fan of pro-wrestling, but I know a few non-fans that found it to be an interesting movie.

[quote]treeteeg wrote:
[/quote]

You can call me old school, but back in the day we called someone who read stuff without posting a “lurker.” Then when they would finally start posting, it was said they were “de-lurking.”

“Trolls” post stuff that tries to appear serious but is actually just meant to stir up the board. They are annoying and generally detract from the experience.

By old school, I mean that I was dialing into boards on a 200 baud modem in the mid 80s. I’m a cranky old geek.

[quote]The Buzz wrote:
It’s a pretty well-acted movie on Rourke’s part. It only shows one side of the wrestling business according to a lot of the pros. I enjoyed it as a fan of pro-wrestling, but I know a few non-fans that found it to be an interesting movie.[/quote]

It had Marisa Tomei naked for nearly 10 minutes. I found that pretty interesting.

This movie is hands-down one of the best I’ve ever seen.

If this wasn’t the best movie I saw last year, it was definitely in the top three.

[quote]treeteeg wrote:
So I’ve been trolling this website a while–I mean a while. I was first brought here by a query to google ‘How to get into ketosis faster’. I was brought to a post that said that a very dangerous way was to take insulin–it was not recommended and that a lot of people get seriously hurt doing it that way. The appropriate alternative was to take Leucine tablets (the article suggested).

So, the movie “The Wrestler” came to theaters. …In Florida, while we were on spring break. The movie was not where we lived at all–within a good 50 miles of where we lived so we decided to see the movie while we were in Destin.

Very good movie, first of all! :slight_smile:

Secondly, while we were watching the movie there was scene where Randy (the ram) Robinson [played by a very buff Mickey Rourke] was buying things off of a fellow wrestler; one of the items he bought was insulin.

Now, nowhere in the movie had it been suggested that he was diabetic–and I find it shady to think that even if he were, he’d be buying it off of a ‘friend’.

My boyfriend had no clue --and asked me why he was buying insulin when he wasn’t diabetic. I remembered the post and was able to explain to him about why Randy Robinson would even need insulin.

Oddly enough, I felt a connection with the daughter because we have very, very similar relationships with our fathers.[/quote]

I’m confused. Why did you spend so much time debating his reasons for taking insulin, when it was clear that Rourke’s character had burned himself out and that he was taking steroids to keep the edge over his younger opponents?

I saw the movie with three other people, me and a mate last year saw 40 movies togethor where as the other 2 would have seen maybe 10 between them.

I grew up watching wrestling I remember watching my first match I believe it was summerslam 95 brett heart vs owen in the cage. To say I was obsessed with wrestling would have been an understatement…Anything wrestling related I’d watch. Occasionally I flick the tv too wrestling(not going too lie hoping for a diva match) but am dissapointed they don’t have anyone with the charisma like the rock.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie so did the guy I go to the movies with, the other two thought it was the most boring film they have ever seen. One of the best movies I have seen this year(it got limited release in Australia). Others being the knowing and watchmen(saw slumdog millionaire in december)

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
I grew up watching wrestling I remember watching my first match I believe it was summerslam 95 brett heart vs owen in the cage. To say I was obsessed with wrestling would have been an understatement…Anything wrestling related I’d watch. Occasionally I flick the tv too wrestling(not going too lie hoping for a diva match) but am dissapointed they don’t have anyone with the charisma like the rock.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie so did the guy I go to the movies with, the other two thought it was the most boring film they have ever seen. One of the best movies I have seen this year(it got limited release in Australia). Others being the knowing and watchmen(saw slumdog millionaire in december)[/quote]

I grew up watching wrestling as well. I think one of the first matches I watched was The Undertaker vs. Yokozuna in Survivor Series 94. I totally agree with you on todays wrester’s lacking the charisma. I think Pro Wrestling’s golden age has come and gone.

I really enjoyed “The Wrestler”. I thought it was one of the best movies I watched last year. The ending was fan-f**king-tastic. The way he stepped out into the ring like that knowing what would happen, it was surreal.

Meh, I never enjoyed it personally.

Rourke’s acting was awe inspiring. Easily the Daniel Plainview of 2008.

[quote]Robert P. wrote:
Actually, it’s doubtful he’d want it for going into ketosis. As far as I know, insulin is used mostly for it’s anabolic properties (shuttling nutritients into muscle cells) and not as a dieting agent.

However, back to the movie, is it worth watching?[/quote]

I think the average T-Nation reader will dig it. Particularly if you’ve ever been a fan of either Mickey Rourke, professional wrestling, or seeing Marisa Tomei quite naked.

The movie has a raw, “real” quality that’s hard to come by (done right, that is). Although I did find it to be pretty melodramatic at times.

Worth watching, I think.

Great movie, if you haven’t yet, go out and see it. Once a wrestling circuit superstar, “The Ram” is now washed up, old, trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter, trying to make an already doomed relationship with an also washed up stripper work, deals with injuries, heart failure, gives up wrestling, finds a regular Joe job, breaks down, makes a comeback and…

Great performances all around, and also great lessons to be learned about humility, one’s limitations, the inevitable passing of time… Loved it.

One of the greatest movies I’ve ever seen.
True existentialist epic.
The wrestler’s realizes the meaningless of the universe, and the fact that he was thrown into this world for no reason, (“the only place that hurts is out there, the world don’t give a shit about me”) realizes that he has the freedom to create himself while wrestling in the ring.

The way The Ram continuously jumps off of the ring symbolizes the entire theme of the movie. The curvature of his ascends and descends echos the falling of a hero despite reaching to the top momentarily. He jumps into the unknown and falls anyway.

One of my favorite scene of the film was when he was walking through the tunnel in the grocery store and you could hear the crowd cheering. The camera follows him, but stayed behind as he crosses beyond the line into the “real world”. His consciousness stayed in his fantasy world of wrestling, but his body went over to the other side, where he was nothing more than an inanimate body going through the motion. We see that the curtain that separates Rourke from us distorted his image, as it symbolizes the veil that separate the Symbolic from the Real.

The toy of the Ram was also a good symbolism for the way people objectify him. Although people admired him as a great wrestler, nobody truly got in touch with his inner essence as a Being until he became romantically involved with the stripper. That was when he felt comfortable giving away and letting go of the “objective” image (the toy) he dearly held on to and became a subject of Care.

I can understand why the people might not like the film. Personally, I thought it was great, and Rourke’s acting was quite honestly probably the best I can remember at the moment.

definitely a bad ass movie!!!

dudes, the seen where he stormed outta the store, I couldnt help myself but to stand up and scream " FUCK IT, YOURE A FUCKIN WRESTLER, GO FUCKIN WRESTLE"

best ending to a movie in a long time to me, I loved how he died hitting his finishing move- I think thats how all greats want to die, personally I’ perfer dying on the mat or in the gym

as, a long time wrestler, I’ve been told many times to quit wrestling or I could further damage myself, and fr a while i didnt wretle at all, and my life fell apart like in this film, then one day I snapped too and tore my room aapart and sprinted to my high school and practiced single legged takedowns all night

this is my new favorite movie for sure, after million dollar baby , and ciderella man

[quote]digitalairair wrote:

The way The Ram continuously jumps off of the ring symbolizes the entire theme of the movie. The curvature of his ascends and descends echos the falling of a hero despite reaching to the top momentarily. He jumps into the unknown and falls anyway.

[/quote]

Great observation.