The Worst Gym Machine Ever?

Torso Rotation machine.

my gym has a stretching cage, nuff said…

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Any Nautilus machine[/quote]

You’re kidding right? Have you ever taken any equipment analysis courses?

Take a look at their 4-bar linkage crunch machine…it has a moving virtual axis that acts the same way the virtual axis does in MOST people performing trunk flexion. It’s an engineering masterpiece as far as gym equipment goes and Tom Purvis is a fucking genius.

Just saying. If you can’t tell me what a cam/moment arm/axis/lever/force angle/pulley is then don’t say anything is shit. You might hate some equipment, but none of it is “shit”, some pretty close…but I can find an efficient use for pretty much anything. LEarn how your body works as a “machine” understand the physics of force application be creative and objective and you’ll find a use…trust me…

Over and Out

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
i fnd the add/abuctor machines useful for warmups.

seated back extension - now thats a piece of shit[/quote]

Not if you can’t support your intrinsic body mass in flexion, great way to regress training.

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
Torso Rotation machine.[/quote]

Pretty close, but provided you can assess available range, could be useful.

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
my gym has a stretching cage, nuff said…[/quote]

Used it for isos…not so bad when it comes to doing isos and preparing for positional weakness.

My gym has a pec dec/rear fly machine, but the handles that you hold onto aren’t far enough apart. Your arms are like almost 90 degrees. Even worse when u try to do rear delts. fml.

Fucking piece of shit. And the weight stack is pathetically light.

Don’t get me wrong i’m all for this thread but rather than say somethings a piece of shit why not be specific about how it could be improved…now thats progress…like this gentleman ^^^

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Take a look at their 4-bar linkage crunch machine…it has a moving virtual axis that acts the same way the virtual axis does in MOST people performing trunk flexion. It’s an engineering masterpiece as far as gym equipment goes and Tom Purvis is a fucking genius.

Just saying. If you can’t tell me what a cam/moment arm/axis/lever/force angle/pulley is then don’t say anything is shit. You might hate some equipment, but none of it is “shit”, some pretty close…but I can find an efficient use for pretty much anything. LEarn how your body works as a “machine” understand the physics of force application be creative and objective and you’ll find a use…trust me…

Over and Out[/quote]

I hope to god you are stronger than spar4tee.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Over and Out[/quote]

[/quote]

Why? haha. That determines the plasuibility of physics?

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Over and Out[/quote]

[/quote]

Why? haha. That determines the plasuibility of physics?[/quote]

No it determines your right to tell some1 who maybe bigger/stronger than you how to work out.

Simple: Anything that is NOT a barbell, dumbell, powertower or Prowler.

Remember the basics brothers !

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Over and Out[/quote]

[/quote]

Why? haha. That determines the plasuibility of physics?[/quote]

No it determines your right to tell some1 who maybe bigger/stronger than you how to work out. [/quote]

I never told him how to work out. I know nothing about him, what he can do, what injuries he has, what his goals are. I can comment on what is put in front of me, saying any nautilus machine is shit is an opinion, opinions should never enter exercise selection. What does how someone “feels” about an exercise determine it’s effectiveness.

And effectiveness for what? Are Nautilus machines shit if my goal is to be the strongest person on any nautilus machine? It sounds crazy but you never fucking know what purpose or function a piece of equipment can provide if you have an opinion on it. Don’t take it personally, i’m not emotionally involved in any of this, you shouldn’t be either if you want to be helpful to people.

Seated leg curl machines where the supporting pad for your knee is not stationary, but fixed to the swing arm. It is almost impossible to keep your knee joint lined up with the machine “joint” throughout the ROM.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Torso Rotation where one is seated and the lower body swivels side to side. That or the hip ABduction machine.

granted, the lifeguard stand looking leg press, not sure of the real name, sure is huge[/quote]

The “lifeguard stand” is an older Hammer Strength leg press. That’s a good name for it because it is huge but I used it before and it really hammers your quads in a nice way.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Over and Out[/quote]
LOL I guess I’m studying exercise science and physics for nothing. I’ve used some Nautilus machines two years ago, during a trip to central Florida, due to no access to a barbell and man weight. I assessed it as shit because I found the loading potential when “pushing the weight” to be dangerous.

A lot of shear on the joints and origins/insertions and the apparatuses don’t move in harmony with the body. That may be okay with 40lbs … not so much with 300lbs. My assessment was based solely on that experience. My post was made purely in jest anyways … soooo … PMS on someone else … mmkay? Thanks!

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Over and Out[/quote]
LOL I guess I’m studying exercise science and physics for nothing. I’ve used some Nautilus machines two years ago, during a trip to central Florida, due to no access to a barbell and man weight. I assessed it as shit because I found the loading potential when “pushing the weight” to be dangerous.

A lot of shear on the joints and origins/insertions and the apparatuses don’t move in harmony with the body. That may be okay with 40lbs … not so much with 300lbs. My assessment was based solely on that experience. My post was made purely in jest anyways … soooo … PMS on someone else … mmkay? Thanks![/quote]

I believe most things on this site begin in jest haha. If you study physics how can you say you sheared an origin/insertion? Unless Nautilus comes equipped with scissors… I’m sure you’re aware of the requirements for creating shear, i.e., directions of force and the most important thing contact surfaces. As us physics guys know however force creates wear, can’t do anything about it…and again, since when was 300lbs always 300lbs when you’re moving it…last time I checked it pretty much never is unless you managed to avoid rotatory motion during exercise…Which machine were you using? I would assess the modern nautilus machines as being a lot more congruent with the movement of MOST people. Hence the reference to the 4-bar linkage and virtual axis movement…did you just disregard that haha? Just curious have you heard much about RTS? If you’re enrolled in what you say you are i’m sure you would love it. A lot of great minds coming out of that place.

A vibrating plate machine. You stood on it and then…well I’m not too sure what you were supposed to do. There were some handles but I think they were just used to lift the thing off the truck. A lot of the fat ladies seemed to like it. I even saw one lying down on the plate while it was in full throttle. I suppose they saw it as the next progression from the vibrating belts you used to see advertised.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Over and Out[/quote]

A lot of shear on the joints and origins/insertions and the apparatuses don’t move in harmony with the body. That may be okay with 40lbs … not so much with 300lbs. My assessment was based solely on that experience. My post was made purely in jest anyways … soooo … PMS on someone else … mmkay? Thanks![/quote]

I believe most things on this site begin in jest haha. If you study physics how can you say you sheared an origin/insertion? [/quote]
I was only referring to joints in that regard. I thought about the origins and insertions afterwards but didn’t acknowledge the verb I had used.

[quote]
Unless Nautilus comes equipped with scissors… I’m sure you’re aware of the requirements for creating shear, i.e., directions of force and the most important thing contact surfaces. As us physics guys know however force creates wear, can’t do anything about it…and again, since when was 300lbs always 300lbs when you’re moving it…last time I checked it pretty much never is unless you managed to avoid rotatory motion during exercise…Which machine were you using? [/quote]
I was referring more so to where the loading occurs. Like squatting 600 with a close stance vs a wide one. The apparatus forced me into a wider hand placement and a straight bar path which isn’t very comfortable for me. It greatly disturbed my mechanical integrity, but I feel that way about most machines that I’ve tried. I don’t recall the name of the setup. It had a chest/shoulder press station, leg press station, leg extension/curl station, and a low row/pulldown station. They were arrayed in the shape of a square from what I remember. Not sure if they were adjoined or not. Probably not.

[quote]
I would assess the modern nautilus machines as being a lot more congruent with the movement of MOST people. Hence the reference to the 4-bar linkage and virtual axis movement…did you just disregard that haha?[/quote]
No lol. I make sure to read everything before I post when I intend to make an at least semi-intelligent response. I was focused solely on the reasoning behind my assessment in my previous post.

[quote]
Just curious have you heard much about RTS? If you’re enrolled in what you say you are i’m sure you would love it. A lot of great minds coming out of that place.[/quote]
No, I haven’t. What is it?

Although the most dangerous one I ever came across was a Smith Machine at Melbourne University. The bitch of a thing was supported off hooks that sat over pins. The trouble was that it was very possible to set up a ‘hair trigger’ situation by just racking the hook to the top of the pin and not all the way over the pin. One slightest tremor and the bar would shake loose and fall like a guillotine. Now imagine that happening while the bar has 60 kg on it. Now imagine some poor shmucks head in the way. The bar smacked into his head just below the nose, it shattered his upper jaw into three pieces…blood and teeth in all directions. A month later it did almost the same thing to another guy.